advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Nice pair of articles about Chicago’s new mayor and first lady
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 04, 2019 07:19AM
Lori Lightfoot’s story is a great one, and her wife’s story is sweet.

A big change from Rahm. Hope they don’t get chewed up and spit out.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nice pair of articles about Chicago’s new mayor and first lady
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 04, 2019 08:02AM
It's often not a good sign for any jurisdiction when white men bow out and women/people of color get elected.... Biggest recession since the 30s? Nominate Obama! Time for Brexit negotiations? It's all yours, PM May!

I'm excited for Mayor Lightfoot and impressed by her win. I'm cautious in my optimism, though - other folks steered clear of this race because Chicago's problems are big and intractable. She will need sustained support to move forward and lead the city.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 04, 2019 09:04AM
Im happy with the outcome..but running a city like Chicago requires a particular set of political skills...I hope Lori reveals a good practical political sense..im not sure it exists in her right now.

When Harold Washington got elected and the infamous 'council wqrs' started..Harold got a taste of how powerful the entrenched city council can be..it's hardcore. Im also happy that we still have a Progressive leading the Cook County Board..it's a function that in many ways affects people in more tangible ways than the Office of the Mayor. Tho..Preckwinkle's progressiveness does have a few questions around it..im happy she's still there...replacing her would have been a complete crap shoot..it is an extremely patronage heavy and corrupt agency..lots of cancers running through Cook County government.
Posted by: bfd
Date: April 04, 2019 02:18PM
It's a big ship, and it'll take lots of time and effort to get it turned around. Maybe this is the start of that turn around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 315
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018