advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Ok, you can stop eating at Wendy's now
Posted by: p8712
Date: April 05, 2019 10:11AM

Through years of high-profile organizing, the CIW has convinced major retailers and fast food chains to buy tomatoes from Florida growers — 90 percent of U.S. winter tomatoes are produced in Florida — that meet specific standards around working conditions, and to pay an extra 1 to 4 cents per pound of tomatoes that goes to tomato pickers so they can receive a decent wage.

Walmart, McDonald’s, Burger King, Subway and Yum Brands, which owns Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC, have all agreed to this. But not Wendy’s and Nelson Peltz.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ok, you can stop eating at Wendy's now
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 05, 2019 10:31AM
I don't like tomatoes on my burger anyway.
Posted by: timg
Date: April 05, 2019 11:15AM
Lux Interior
agree smiley

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 05, 2019 12:28PM
As much as I hate to say it, Florida's favorite supermarket, Publix, also refuses to sign on. I till shop there, but not for tomatoes.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 05, 2019 12:37PM
Lux Interior

Oh a #10 without mayo at McDonalds so good with Toms. No catsup on fries.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 05, 2019 01:04PM
....you say tom'aeto'.......I say tom'oto'.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 05, 2019 02:42PM
p8712

Through years of high-profile organizing, the CIW has convinced major retailers and fast food chains to buy tomatoes from Florida growers — 90 percent of U.S. winter tomatoes are produced in Florida — that meet specific standards around working conditions, and to pay an extra 1 to 4 cents per pound of tomatoes that goes to tomato pickers so they can receive a decent wage.

Walmart, McDonald’s, Burger King, Subway and Yum Brands, which owns Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC, have all agreed to this. But not Wendy’s and Nelson Peltz.

Their position is that they don't need to support fair working conditions in Florida because Wendy's no longer buys Florida tomatoes.

It's an interesting position to take, considering that they bought most of their tomatoes from Florida growers until they found out they'd be paying a penny more per pound for humanely-sourced tomatoes if they continued to do so.

Posted by: max
Date: April 05, 2019 08:36PM
Sarcany
Their position is that they don't need to support fair working conditions in Florida because Wendy's no longer buys Florida tomatoes.

It's an interesting position to take, considering that they bought most of their tomatoes from Florida growers until they found out they'd be paying a penny more per pound for humanely-sourced tomatoes if they continued to do so.

Amazing how that works out.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: April 06, 2019 09:01AM
I was never a fan of fast food places to begin with, I prefer to sit down and have the food prepared as I order it, I guess I was spoiled by managing a family style restaurant for 15 years. Then my relatively short 2 1/2 stint managing a Taco Hell/KFC/Pizza Hut location really drove the point home, that I hate fast food.
So no tomatoes for me there.
There is good and bad about living in New England, but one good thing is that all the supermarkets have local grown in season options. Plus the vast selection of farmer's markets and local farm stands make in season fruits and veggies easy to get. I pass a farmstead on my way home from work everyday and just get one I need for dinner, in season of course.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 06, 2019 02:03PM
DinerDave
I was never a fan of fast food places to begin with, I prefer to sit down and have the food prepared as I order it, I guess I was spoiled by managing a family style restaurant for 15 years. Then my relatively short 2 1/2 stint managing a Taco Hell/KFC/Pizza Hut location really drove the point home, that I hate fast food.
So no tomatoes for me there.
There is good and bad about living in New England, but one good thing is that all the supermarkets have local grown in season options. Plus the vast selection of farmer's markets and local farm stands make in season fruits and veggies easy to get. I pass a farmstead on my way home from work everyday and just get one I need for dinner, in season of course.

Dave

You've had quite the work life.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018