advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
DOJ has killed the emoluments clause; White House is open for business
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 09, 2019 12:31PM
Well this went under the radar. There are all kinds of lawsuits against the Trump family's financial gain from foreign governments patronizing their hotels and other businesses, in return for favors from the US gov't. It's been called a "national security nightmare."

The DOJ has quietly re-written the rules to accommodate Trump's business interests.

[www.theguardian.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DOJ has killed the emoluments clause; White House is open for business
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 09, 2019 12:47PM
They have issued a rule. It does not overwrite the US Constitution. The SCOTUS will have to weigh in on this once the many lawsuits work their way through the lower courts.

Can we give Jimmy Carter his peanut farm back ?
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 09, 2019 12:56PM
Hmmph. Don't expect the founding-father mind-reading "originalists" to come your aid.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 09, 2019 01:14PM
From the Guardian link:

But filings by the department since June 2017 reveal a new interpretation that “… would permit the president – and all federal officials – to accept unlimited amounts of money from foreign governments, as long as the money comes through commercial transactions with an entity owned by the federal official,” the professor writes.

geez
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 09, 2019 01:44PM
For all the people who are terrified of a Pence Presidency, I say: THIS is why I don't care if he gets in as long as Trump leaves. Trump is absolutely working towards an oligarchy, whereas Pence will be too busy trying to put the Ten Commandments on courthouse lawns to think about this stuff. Roe v. Wade is already under attack, which would be my main fear of Pence, but as it is that's a moot point.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 09, 2019 02:19PM
$tevie
For all the people who are terrified of a Pence Presidency, I say: THIS is why I don't care if he gets in as long as Trump leaves. Trump is absolutely working towards an oligarchy, whereas Pence will be too busy trying to put the Ten Commandments on courthouse lawns to think about this stuff. Roe v. Wade is already under attack, which would be my main fear of Pence, but as it is that's a moot point.

I agree. I'd rather have Trump gone early and deal short-term with Pence; Pence would be easily defeated in 2020. Trump won't be, as crazy as it sounds.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 09, 2019 02:41PM
Lemon Drop
$tevie

I agree. I'd rather have Trump gone early and deal short-term with Pence; Pence would be easily defeated in 2020. Trump won't be, as crazy as it sounds.

agree smiley no one can be as bad as what we have now. May not agree in all with Pence but I think he has a conscience.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 09, 2019 02:51PM
I am torn. Pence knows just enough to be ruinous to women's health issues in the short term. It will take several years to fix what's happened due to 45, Pence could start problems that would last for a generation.

Leaving 45 in office hurts many elected Republicans that are seen to support him. It's a shame that Democrats are so clueless they need to rely on this.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 09, 2019 04:17PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I am torn. Pence knows just enough to be ruinous to women's health issues in the short term. It will take several years to fix what's happened due to 45, Pence could start problems that would last for a generation.

Leaving 45 in office hurts many elected Republicans that are seen to support him. It's a shame that Democrats are so clueless they need to rely on this.

Sorry but that ship of "problems for a generation" sailed a couple years ago when Garland's nomination was torpedoed by that a-hole from KY. Pence won't be any worse to women's rights than what the Rs have been doing for the last several years...it's gonna happen with Trump just as easily as it would/will with Pence.

We need to get these horrid people out one by one by one and spare no opportunity to do so. Trump is at least being of some assistance there.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 09, 2019 07:18PM
VP Pence is more dangerous because he is more competent.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 10, 2019 10:12AM
Speedy
VP Pence is more dangerous because he is more competent.

Were Pence elected straight up in 2016, I'd say he'd have been less dangerous as he would have been less likely to destroy our institutions. But now Trump has cleared the path for any successor to do whatever he wants until Congress grows a backbone. Whether competence or incompetence is more dangerous in that setting, who knows. Hitler or Stalin, which is worse?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 10:17AM by Acer.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 11, 2019 10:31AM
Pence is more of a Bulganin. He’ll suck at rallying the base and the party will want him gone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 317
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018