advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
NYC mandates measles vaccines in Brooklyn as # of cases doubles
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 09, 2019 12:53PM
This is a different outbreak than the one in Rockland County, NY.

[www.nytimes.com]

New York City on Tuesday declared a public health emergency following a measles outbreak in ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities in Brooklyn.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city would require unvaccinated individuals living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to receive the measles vaccine as the city escalated its efforts to stem one of the largest measles outbreaks in decades.

The measure follows a spike in measles infections in New York City, where there have been 285 confirmed cases since the outbreak began in the fall; 21 of those cases led to hospitalizations, including five admissions to the intensive care unit.

From the CDC:

Measles outbreaks (defined as 3 or more cases) are currently ongoing in 2019 in the following jurisdictions:

New York State, Rockland County
New York City
Washington
California, Santa Cruz County
New Jersey
California, Butte County
Michigan

These outbreaks are linked to travelers who brought measles back from other countries such as Israel, Ukraine, and the Philippines, where large measles outbreaks are occurring. Make sure you are vaccinated against measles before traveling internationally.

[www.cdc.gov]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NYC mandates measles vaccines in Brooklyn as # of cases doubles
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 09, 2019 01:02PM
Don't forget the moronic anti vaxxers infecting other countries.
[www.independent.co.uk]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 09, 2019 01:16PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 09, 2019 04:44PM
About freakin time.
Date: April 10, 2019 07:27AM
....saw interview on TV with some of the 'Jewish orthodox'.....and some of the women seemed very belligerent......they were saying that they were not going to let anyone introduce foreign substance into their children....and that their children were #1.......

......one of the reports asked what if it was an outbreak of polio......she couldn't answer and stood there frozen.....then she started to repeat what she said before about other people telling her to put foreign material into her children....

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 10, 2019 08:01AM
NewtonMP2100
....saw interview on TV with some of the 'Jewish orthodox'.....and some of the women seemed very belligerent......they were saying that they were not going to let anyone introduce foreign substance into their children....and that their children were #1.......

......one of the reports asked what if it was an outbreak of polio......she couldn't answer and stood there frozen.....then she started to repeat what she said before about other people telling her to put foreign material into her children....

This is not stupidity. This is ideology. Those of us who care about changing it need to acknowledge the difference and stop mocking these people as idiots.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: April 10, 2019 08:10AM
....was not mocking them, just stating what I saw on screen...

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 10, 2019 08:29AM
The misinformation that has spread throughout that community includes the suggestion that vaccines contain pig, monkey and dog DNA and tissue from aborted fetuses, and other similar ideas.

I would not call people falling for this "idiots" but I have no problem calling their beliefs about public health and vaccines idiotic.

[www.nytimes.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 10, 2019 02:02PM
NewtonMP2100
....was not mocking them, just stating what I saw on screen...

That's fair, Newt. My comment was unfairly aimed in your direction. I apologize.

Lemon Drop
The misinformation that has spread throughout that community includes the suggestion that vaccines contain pig, monkey and dog DNA and tissue from aborted fetuses, and other similar ideas.

I would not call people falling for this "idiots" but I have no problem calling their beliefs about public health and vaccines idiotic.

[www.nytimes.com]

Their beliefs sound dangerous and misinformed, but idiotic implies that they aren't thought out or compelling to a thinking person, and that's now what I think is happening.

I think it's worth considering - as community leaders are now doing - why people are so reluctant to vaccinate, and what strategies work to undermine the disinformation campaign by antivaxx groups. There's a lot of anger right now because of the outbreak, but each of those unvaccinated kids had a parent or parents who mistakenly thought they were doing the best thing for their child. It's good that they have prominent ultra-orthodox rabbis taking a leading role to promote vaccination, and answer questions about the process.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 292
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018