advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Failing newspaper on the chopping block
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 10, 2019 07:11PM
Well, “newspaper” is gilding the lily. Perhaps “tabloid”, “rag”, or fish wrapper would be more appropriate?

American Media Inc. is actively seeking to sell off the National Enquirer, according to three people familiar with the process...

The decision to sell came after the hedge fund manager whose firm controls American Media became “disgusted” with the Enquirer’s reporting tactics, according to one of these people.

...and let me tell you, it’s not easy to disgust a hedge fund manager.

The company was also facing financial difficulty as it sought to refinance more than $400 million in debt earlier this year and as the Enquirer’s circulation continued to decline... The paper sold an average of 516,000 copies per issue in 2014, but that number fell to 218,000 in December...

Poor babies. This may put a crimp in Trump’s desire that the Enquirer win a Pulitzer prize.

ROTFL

PS - One of you reminded me that “gilding the lily” (above) implies pre-existing beauty.

Perhaps “polishing the turd” is the more appropriate phrasing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 08:14AM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Failing newspaper on the chopping block
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 10, 2019 07:16PM
Some right-wingnut with deep pockets will buy it because it is the only paper Pres. Trump reads - or at least looks at the photos.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 10, 2019 07:17PM
I blame the self checkout lines at the grocery store for the decline in sales.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 10, 2019 07:46PM
Bezos should buy it. Then close it, fire everybody, and donate the leftover $ to the Democrat who runs against DumpsterFire next year.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 10, 2019 07:50PM
Here's my question. Isn't it AMI and Pecker who are in cahoots with Trump, not The National Enquirer specifically? How does selling the Enquirer fix that problem? Isn't this like cutting off the tip of a rotten carrot and trying to tell your kids that it is now yummy?

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 10, 2019 08:04PM
Selling the NI is only a business move for them. It won't make criminal liability or their bad reputation go away. It's also the arm they used to do their dirty deeds.
They'll be left with US Weekly and Men's Journal and Snowboarder magazine and glossy dentist office stuff like that.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 10, 2019 11:51PM
Lemon Drop
Bezos should buy it. Then close it, fire everybody, and donate the leftover $ to the Democrat who runs against DumpsterFire next year.

He should keep printing it, but limit it to just printing corrections to stories they published in the past. That should give decades of material.

Sort of a National Enquirer meets Snopes. Might even be profitable.
Posted by: p8712
Date: April 11, 2019 07:09AM
GGD
I blame the self checkout lines at the grocery store for the decline in sales.

And smartphones with instant Celeb news feeds.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: April 11, 2019 10:48AM
Lemon Drop
... They'll be left with US Weekly and Men's Journal and Snowboarder magazine and glossy dentist office stuff like that.

Please don't insult my dentist. She has better taste in waiting room mags than those. :-)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 11, 2019 02:50PM
neophyte
Lemon Drop
... They'll be left with US Weekly and Men's Journal and Snowboarder magazine and glossy dentist office stuff like that.

Please don't insult my dentist. She has better taste in waiting room mags than those. :-)

She would do better with the majority of toothless Deplorables if she carried trashy magazines.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 12, 2019 08:34AM
Murdock will buy it. Pairs well with his brand of toilet paper.

So easy to rile "low-information people" with rags like this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018