advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Unfortunately, our military at the border can’t get, “... a little rough, everybody would go crazy”
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 10, 2019 10:44PM
“But our military can’t act like a military would act. Because if they got a little rough, everybody would go crazy. So our military can’t act like they would normally act, or let’s say another military from another country would act.”

Yes, generalissimo, it is so sad.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Unfortunately, our military at the border can’t get, “... a little rough, everybody would go crazy”
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 10, 2019 11:12PM
Republicans used to be the law and order party. As the Trump Party they are just about order - the kind of order they want.

(Okay, that was glib and over-simplified, but I think there is a kernel of truth to it.)
Re: Unfortunately, our military at the border can’t get, “... a little rough, everybody would go crazy”
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 11, 2019 08:38AM
And the 2nd amendment types think we need to stay armed to prevent the Libs from giving us universal health care and mass transit. Meanwhile, Trump has us within one "sense of decorum" from our military firing live weapons at civilians on our own soil.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 11, 2019 09:42AM
I was talking with my wife last night after reading about Barr and his "spying" remarks and remarking how pretty much daily, Trump and/or one of his minions says something or is woefully silent, does something or doesn't — that is always the absolute WRONG thing. It might be the wrong thing morally, ethically, economically, culturally, or a thousand other "wrong" things. But it happens daily. And I cannot believe how they get away with it. Just blows me away, even after all this time.

Dems seem powerless to combat it or even find their way out of a paper bag. Schumer and Pelosi...I gotta say I haver very little faith in them. AOC is promising but often muzzled. Besides, it can't be just a few people to call out this depravity, it has to be mass numbers of people — mass numbers of Rs for it to be real and have impact. Hell, I'd take even a small, organized group of Rs.

So can anyone here tell me...where are the good Rs to call this @#$%& out? Where???? Is there no sense of decency left among them, at long last? Polling indicates that something like 80% of Rs would vote Trump again. Is there no one to teach 40%-50% of Americans that yeah, all this stuff is actually WRONG and it's not what we stand for as Americans?

/rant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 09:43AM by SteveO.
Date: April 11, 2019 12:01PM
I have some suspicion that a good deal of the silence may have to do with the fact that the hard right (and what I believe to be an enormous and feverishly active foreign propaganda organ) has created an environment where any dissent from within the ranks is met with an almost no holds barred, witheringly blistering excoriation.

Given that the hook has already been set with an appeal to some base desire, that coupled with this vicious excommunication engine creates an atmosphere where it’s much easier to go along and get along.

If you’re already in a mindset where you’re willing to turn a blind eye to plain faced misogyny, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc., it’s much easier to just ratchet up your tolerance level for more of the same rather than be cast out with a scarlet “L” branded on your forehead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 05:11PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 11, 2019 02:55PM
I think you both nailed it - Trump has co-opted the Republican party, he has made it his party. As President he is the party's leader, without exception. The "Never Trump" movement that was active in 2016 and into 2017 has pretty much given up or withdrawn into obscurity. Congressional R's are completely whipped.

When I hear comments like this one today, which calls to mind his comment that the police shouldn't protect an arrestee's when putting them in the car, I wish he'd just move to some lawless country and be the authoritarian he wants to be. But we know he'd never do that because he's completely spoiled by the privilege and advantages of being an American. A privilege he neither understands nor respects.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 11, 2019 02:57PM
Acer
And the 2nd amendment types think we need to stay armed to prevent the Libs from giving us universal health care and mass transit. Meanwhile, Trump has us within one "sense of decorum" from our military firing live weapons at civilians on our own soil.

They armed up with Pres. Nixon but they didn’t go heavy until Pres. Reagan.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 02:59PM by Speedy.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 12, 2019 11:04AM
Lemon Drop
But we know he'd never do that because he's completely spoiled by the privilege and advantages of being an [ White male property-owning cisgender heterosexual able-bodied document-holding ] American. A privilege he neither understands nor respects.

He understands it well enough to know the rage he can invoke in others who feel those privileges and advantages being pulled away from them, or questioned by fellow Americans.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: April 12, 2019 03:55PM
My doubts about him finding some pretext for declaring martial law* here fade more and more with every passing day.

*More specifically, trying to declare martial law. Even if he and his Himmler, Stephen Miller, managed to get sycophants in dangerous positions in the military, I think a critical mass of military and LEO would quickly make it clear that he had FINALLY broken the camel’s back. It might be the bloodiest and most frightening chapter in many generations for this country, but probably mercifully brief.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 283
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018