advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
HUD: Unless everyone in the home is a citizen, no lease should be available.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 10, 2019 09:56AM
The rules say so long as one person is a citizen, the family can sign a lease. For example, children born in the U.S. to undocumented immigrants.

Nazi Stephen Miller wants to change that (of course.)

This is so that we can “make certain our scarce public resources help those who are legally entitled to it,” HUD Secretary Ben Carson said last month.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HUD: Unless everyone in the home is a citizen, no lease should be available.
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 10, 2019 10:29AM
They don’t care what happens to American children. Housing, medical, education... They don’t even think they should be US citizens. They want the non white people to stay out of the country and it doesn’t matter if they starve or die.
Re: HUD: Unless everyone in the home is a citizen, no lease should be available.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 10, 2019 11:41AM
Pam
They don’t care what happens to American children. Housing, medical, education... They don’t even think they should be US citizens. They want the non white people to stay out of the our country and it doesn’t matter if they starve or die because we have denied them housing.

This correction isn't aimed at you, Pam. We agree on this and many issues, and the edits aren't meant as criticism but constructive reframing.

We can blame the administration for the decision, and we can pin the hate on Stephen Miller, and that's fair. But we can't distance ourself from the affected institutions, because they belong to and represent all of us.

WE are now evicting unauthorized immigrants and citizen children from public housing. OUR government is doing this on OUR behalf, using OUR moral authority and tax dollars to put poor children and families on the street.

It's fine to object to the policy, but I hope we don't think that our objections make us morally clean or blameless or unaccountable for this cruelty.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: May 10, 2019 11:54AM
Having never taken any stand against U.S. citizens in any way remotely like this, I’m comfortable claiming moral superiority for what’s happening.

Contrast that with every conservative who thinks, “too bad” and supports a man who’s every breath and action caused this ... and you then have context. Precious context.
Date: May 10, 2019 12:21PM
rjmacs
Pam
They don’t care what happens to American children. Housing, medical, education... They don’t even think they should be US citizens. They want the non white people to stay out of the our country and it doesn’t matter if they starve or die because we have denied them housing.

This correction isn't aimed at you, Pam. We agree on this and many issues, and the edits aren't meant as criticism but constructive reframing.

We can blame the administration for the decision, and we can pin the hate on Stephen Miller, and that's fair. But we can't distance ourself from the affected institutions, because they belong to and represent all of us.

WE are now evicting unauthorized immigrants and citizen children from public housing. OUR government is doing this on OUR behalf, using OUR moral authority and tax dollars to put poor children and families on the street.

It's fine to object to the policy, but I hope we don't think that our objections make us morally clean or blameless or unaccountable for this cruelty.

We are not the ones pushing the button. This administration refuses oversight on everything. We are stuck until the next election. All we can do is make our horror known to our reps and be ready to vote. No way will I claim any responsibility for this tragedy.
Date: May 10, 2019 12:24PM
deckeda
Having never taken any stand against U.S. citizens in any way remotely like this, I’m comfortable claiming moral superiority for what’s happening.

Contrast that with every conservative who thinks, “too bad” and supports a man who’s every breath and action caused this ... and you then have context. Precious context.

Yeah, but the harm is happening anyway. So, it's nice for you that you can feel morally superior.

But here's the actual material (not 'moral') context: the staff, infrastructure, and financial support for these policies is coming from you as much as other taxpayers.

So, feeling morally superior and voicing righteous indignation feels great, especially because it keeps the spotlight on the evil-doers, and keeps us from thinking about the imminently evicted families who will still need a place to live, no matter how right we are.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 10, 2019 03:17PM
sure sounds like Trump housing policy

Unless everyone in the home is a citizen white, no lease should be available.

(his Dad approves)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2019 03:30PM by Steve G..
Date: May 10, 2019 03:25PM
rjmacs
deckeda

Yeah, but the harm is happening anyway. So, it's nice for you that you can feel morally superior.

But here's the actual material (not 'moral') context: the staff, infrastructure, and financial support for these policies is coming from you as much as other taxpayers.

So, feeling morally superior and voicing righteous indignation feels great, especially because it keeps the spotlight on the evil-doers, and keeps us from thinking about the imminently evicted families who will still need a place to live, no matter how right we are.

This is ridiculously insulting and completely wrong.
Date: May 10, 2019 07:58PM
“ because it keeps the spotlight on the evil-doers, and keeps us from thinking about the imminently evicted families who will still need a place to live, no matter how right we are.”

RJ, if you’re about to logically now show how I should personally give them a place to live, we’re gonna have to agree to disagree.

Maybe it’ll help if I apologize for others who voted Trump into office.
Date: May 11, 2019 03:15PM
deckeda
“ because it keeps the spotlight on the evil-doers, and keeps us from thinking about the imminently evicted families who will still need a place to live, no matter how right we are.”

RJ, if you’re about to logically now show how I should personally give them a place to live, we’re gonna have to agree to disagree.

It's possible to feel responsible for something you don't endorse or support. That's part of democracy, right?

rj
AKA
Date: May 11, 2019 04:46PM
rjmacs
deckeda

It's possible to feel responsible for something you don't endorse or support. That's part of democracy, right?

I do not see the connection as you portray it, but realize this is why people apologize for what someone else does when in “mixed company.” You go abroad and apologize for what America does, that’s different than sitting at home feeling like you caused it.
Date: May 11, 2019 05:06PM
deckeda
rjmacs
deckeda

I do not see the connection as you portray it, but realize this is why people apologize for what someone else does when in “mixed company.” You go abroad and apologize for what America does, that’s different than sitting at home feeling like you caused it.

Are you only an American when your candidate wins? A true dyed-in-the-wool 'Not My President' citizen?

rj
AKA
Date: May 11, 2019 07:13PM
rjmacs
deckeda
rjmacs
deckeda

Are you only an American when your candidate wins? A true dyed-in-the-wool 'Not My President' citizen?

Nothing of the sort. Trump is surely mine, yours, ours. Always has been.

Pretty sure that's a technical truth, yeah? I don't have emotion tied to this. I don't have to love them to vote for them, and I don't need to hate them when wanting them to go. After all, I've never MET any of them. But this has turned tangential and I think, irrelevant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018