Date: May 10, 2019 01:17PM
that's nasty!

...but effective
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Powerful Editorial cartoon
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 10, 2019 01:24PM
Spot on.

I heard that the proposed Alabama law essentially outlawing abortion was set aside at the last minute due to "conflicts".

I'd bet you that the head of the Georgia Medical Society called some legislators on the carpet about the proposed 99-year prison terms for doctors performing abortions. Nobody cares much about poor pregnant women, but when doctors get threatened with jail, they start making calls.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 10, 2019 01:43PM
I'd be impressed if the same paper publishes that cartoon, updated to be dripping with blood, after the first woman dies from a back-alley abortion in the aftermath of these laws.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 10, 2019 02:03PM
Ohio is trying to pass an abortion bill that demands embryo's in ectopic pregnancies be reimplanted in the uterus. This is something that has NEVER been done. I'm not sure if it's even been tried. I knew someone that had an ectopic pregnancy. She started having massive cramps and bleeding at about eight weeks. She might have died if she got to the hospital 20 minutes later. It is usually tough enough just to stop the bleeding. She had two children after that, so it wasn't that she wanted an abortion. They want women to die if they can't give birth (and then don't care about the baby after it's born).

They really have no respect for women. It wasn't too long ago they were trying to make it legal to fire pregnant women.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 10, 2019 02:30PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Ohio is trying to pass an abortion bill that demands embryo's in ectopic pregnancies be reimplanted in the uterus. This is something that has NEVER been done. I'm not sure if it's even been tried. I knew someone that had an ectopic pregnancy. She started having massive cramps and bleeding at about eight weeks. She might have died if she got to the hospital 20 minutes later. It is usually tough enough just to stop the bleeding. She had two children after that, so it wasn't that she wanted an abortion. They want women to die if they can't give birth (and then don't care about the baby after it's born).

They really have no respect for women. It wasn't too long ago they were trying to make it legal to fire pregnant women.

I have a friend who almost died from an ectopic pregnancy when we were in high school. It was gut-wrenching - on top of being medically terrifying, the whole experience for her was fraught with shame and anxiety about being judged by peers and school officials for 'having had an abortion.'

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 10, 2019 02:40PM
We seem to be to the point now where in many red states they have delivered many of the promised road blocks to the typical elective abortion. But, they have to keep those donations flowing, so they keep expanding the road blocks to rape, incest and even the life of the mother.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 10, 2019 03:33PM
I wouldn't live in a state that passed a law like Georgia' six-week heartbeat bill. It's nearly impossible to know you're pregnant at 6 weeks, when the embryo is the size of a pea. Most women 2 weeks late would not go get a pregnancy test because that it so common. So this does effectively outlaw all abortions in the state, not only outlaws the procedure but criminalizes it to murder, including if the woman travels out of state to a place where the procedure is legal. Not sure how they plan to enforce this medieval law.

HB 481, which is due to take effect on January 1, 2020, would also have consequences for women who suffer a miscarriage. If a woman were to miscarry based on her behavior—such as use of drugs or alcohol—she would be liable for second-degree murder, which is punishable to 10 to 30 years' imprisonment. Even if she opted to leave Georgia to obtain an abortion—she'd still be just as liable for punishment in the state. If a woman travels to another state for an abortion, she may be charged with conspiracy to commit murder, which can lead to 10 years’ imprisonment. And if you're a woman who wants to help a friend cross state lines for her abortion, you could also be charged with "conspiracy."
[www.glamour.com]

And it's not really funny but dark humor sometimes just nails it:
[politics.theonion.com]
Date: May 10, 2019 03:39PM
Filliam H. Muffman

You're so right about zero respect: none for women, none for health, none for science.

Ohio's law is actually to provide insurance coverage to "reimplant" ectopic pregnancies, which is a medically non-existent procedure.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

One provision especially worried doctors.

The latest available version of HB 182 has an exception that would allow insurance to cover a treatment that does not exist.
The treatment laid out in the bill is “science fiction,” according to Daniel Grossman, an OB/GYN and director of Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health at the University of California at San Francisco who debunked this passage in a viral Twitter thread on Wednesday.

“We don’t have the technology to do that,” Grossman told The Washington Post on Thursday. He said he had treated many patients with the condition who wanted children. “Nothing can be done to continue that pregnancy.”

Rather, ectopic pregnancies are treated with surgery or medication.

“This is one example of a much larger problem about how these abortion restrictions have nothing to do with the practice of medicine or science,” Grossman said.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 10, 2019 04:35PM
These insane abortion laws are an effort to coerce law suits to force the Supreme Court to make a decision as to whether abortion is a constitutional right or not. Again. Because they figure that the Court will see it their way now.

Posted by: pdq
Date: May 10, 2019 04:55PM
Lemon-

I was just about to point that out. It would actually be a good thing if the idiots passed that, since it would illustrate what a fantasy (and rigid) world they live in.

(If some woman had, say, a genetic condition that resulted in repeated early miscarriages, would these folks consider her a serial killer?)
Date: May 11, 2019 08:01AM
More Handmaid's Tale:

[www.texastribune.org]
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 11, 2019 09:47AM
The stuff states are passing and attempting to pass is insane. Criminal to get an abortion in another state.Counting a fetus on tax rolls and census. on and on......
Date: May 11, 2019 12:36PM
So if they're going to frame abortion in the early weeks of pregnancy as murder, Just think how many lives would be saved if we made vasectomy for every male over 15 mandatory, until they are ready to conceive and support children. Then the procedure can be reversed.

Wait, what's that? Can't control other people's bodies like that? Oh.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 11, 2019 12:58PM
That cartoon is Pulitzer worthy. I hope they submit it this year for consideration.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 13, 2019 05:52PM
Of course the people who are promoting this legislation know darn well that if someone in their family ever makes a “mistake,” they can just get into the car and drive to a state where everything can be worked out with complete confidentially.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 13, 2019 06:24PM
Ammo
Of course the people who are promoting this legislation know darn well that if someone in their family ever makes a “mistake,” they can just get into the car and drive to a state where everything can be worked out with complete confidentially.

Perhaps, but in GA that scenario is now illegal, as is a miscarriage in some situations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 303
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018