advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What's all this 'Real ID" business about?
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 15, 2019 02:53PM
Received my California vehicle license renewal notice today and included was a notice that says I will need a "Real ID" passport or other federally accepted document at airport security beginning October 1, 2020.

The notice made it look like I needed this but when looking at the Homeland Security website, it seems most other states' drivers licenses are already accepted as federally accepted documents. Left coast California is the only state listed as "under review".

I can't help wonder if Trump's Department of Homeland Security is punishing CA for being liberal. Or maybe my state wants to generate some more income by charging for updated driver's licenses. I think I will hold off till next year.

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's all this 'Real ID" business about?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 15, 2019 02:59PM
California just took longer to get n the Real ID wagon. It started before Trump, is a major pain to get done the first time, not sure about renewals because my DL is still good for another 5 years.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2019 03:00PM
......same thing happened to my.......you don't have to get a 'Real ID' but after October 1, 2020 only the 'Real ID' will be accepted when you fly......the 'older one' will not be considered valid ID....so this only affects you if you fly.......

......The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will begin implementing REAL ID enforcement at US airports in January 2018. By October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license (or another acceptable form of ID such as a passport) for domestic air travel........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 03:04PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2019 03:15PM
"Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror..." PAPIEREN BITTE !

[en.wikipedia.org]

Eventually we will have to carry Citizenship Cards. Or tatooed certification of Oath of Allegiance to Dear leader on our foreheads. The number 6 is popular for that.... devil smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 15, 2019 03:18PM
Ombligo
California just took longer to get n the Real ID wagon. It started before Trump, is a major pain to get done the first time, not sure about renewals because my DL is still good for another 5 years.

Your DL will not get you on a commercial aircraft after Oct. 1, 2020 no matter how long it will let you drive.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 03:18PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 15, 2019 03:21PM
Won't a passport still get you on the plane?

Pennsylvania has been a foot-dragger on this, too. This is the first year they have been available.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2019 03:23PM
.......yes, a passport will work but in the past, you could use a Drivers License......now you can only use this 'Real ID' driver's license.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 15, 2019 03:45PM
MA got on the Real ID bandwagon last year. You have the choice of getting one with that, or without. But they also added a requirement that you at least provide proof of legal presence in the state and the US. I had to get a replacement birth certificate from NJ, took 5 weeks in all.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 15, 2019 05:19PM
I got one in Arkansas a year ago. Just take the ID they require. I had to go to a bigger DMV office in a bigger town.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 15, 2019 06:12PM
I did the California Real ID thing not too long ago. The only difference was that I had to bring some documents. One of them was my passport. Then there was proof of my actual home address and proof of my social security number. The DMV has a form that describes what you can bring for each of the requirements. I seem to recall that one of the documents I brought to show my address was the vehicle registration form from my glove compartment. Social Security number proof can be from a tax return or the social security card itself. I forget what the alternative for the passport was.

You can renew the drivers license without doing the Real ID thing, but then you won't have the Real ID. The drivers license that is also a Real ID is detectable because there is a picture of a golden bear on the front.

The CA DMV also does identification cards for people who do not drive.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 15, 2019 06:32PM
So if you've never had a passport and don't yet have a REAL ID, how can you then get a passport or REAL ID? Seems like a catch 22.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 15, 2019 06:41PM
Date: May 15, 2019 06:54PM
hal
So if you've never had a passport and don't yet have a REAL ID, how can you then get a passport or REAL ID? Seems like a catch 22.

Well, you can work your way up to both. First you start with a birth certificate. With that and possibly some supporting docs you can get a Real ID license. Or with other docs you can get a passport.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 15, 2019 07:52PM
It's so freaking stupid our nation doesn't just use a national driver's license. Or ID.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 15, 2019 09:30PM
rjmacs
Ombligo
my DL is still good for another 5 years.

Your DL will not get you on a commercial aircraft after Oct. 1, 2020 no matter how long it will let you drive.

Mine will because it followed the Real ID standards. However, I only use my passport when I travel so it doesn't matter.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 16, 2019 02:55AM
Proof of Lawful U.S. Presence Required ........... No

ISSUANCE OF DRIVER'S LICENSES TO UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS
There are currently six states with statutes or regulations that implicitly give undocumented immigrants access to driving privileges: Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. All six states issue (or will issue) cards granting this privilege, but many make the cards invalid for identification purposes. Additionally, the Colorado legislature recently passed a law that would grant this privilege, but Governor Hickenlooper has yet to sign it into law. Other states, including Connecticut, Nevada, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia, are currently considering similar measures.

Proponents of licensing undocumented immigrants to drive argue that it promotes road safety, reduces unlicensed drivers, and allows these immigrants to work and support their families. Opponents argue that licensing undocumented immigrant drivers leads to fraud and security concerns, and encourages employment of undocumented immigrants over documented immigrants and U.S. citizens.

UNDOCUMENTED makes your drivers license WORTHLESS as a form of IDENTIFICATION.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: max
Date: May 16, 2019 03:38AM
Bernie

Why Bernie?
Does it not identifies you sufficiently for the purposes of driving?
Does it not identify you as a lawfully licensed driver allowed to use public roadways?

And if the government needs you to carry an ID so it can control your movement they can issue one for that purpose.
In the rest of the Police State World it is called a passport.
That is the national ID.
Neither Social Security card nor your driver s license were meant to be a national IDs.
In fact one of this country s measures of freedom was just that, the lack of requirement for a national ID.

And you do want that undocumented driver to have a driver.s license when you happen to be involved with one in an accident. It might be his fault, or it could be yours, but that driver s license allows him to carry insurance.
Without the license, he will be forced to drive without both.....
Date: May 16, 2019 07:03AM
Bernie, max is right in most respects. I had to take a sedative in order to type that, but it's true.

Since this THREAD is about Real ID, below a LINK that discusses what it IS and what it is NOT. Your FEAR of it (or any ID) being used to elect BROWN skin people to office (or whatever, I really don't know the exact paranoia here) is both UNFOUNDED (for lack of proof--crazy isn't it?) and irrelevant HERE.

ALL CAPS added for apparent EMPHASIS.

[upgradedpoints.com]

If you have a problem with immigrants or whomever having driver's licenses, perhaps you'd be better off asking why so many voter registration and polling places accept them as proof of legitimacy for something other than driving. Perhaps you'd be better off asking why so many voter registration and polling places seemingly assume American citizens have one in the first place, to the exclusion of discouraging Americans who do not have one from voting.

And now for a fun fact:
I have a niece, her mom is Japanese and lives in Japan. But she used to live and work in the U.S. She (the mom, not the baby) had a Tennessee driver's license in order to vote against making America Great er, drive.

We *think* she used the car to work and buy groceries for her family (hey! half-American daughter, even though the father was borne from naturalized citizens, another "immigration" target these days.)

But I readily concede she may have been secretly working against Pure American Interests. Hey, can't be too sure of "some people," am I right? I won't even mention that after she moved back to Japan, when she'd visit she'd go to the American DMV and update her TN driver's license (later, GA) for the purposes of wait for it ... legally driving a car. We think.
Date: May 16, 2019 07:55AM
Bernie

Your grammar is awful.

Your bias is interfering with your logic - being undocumented makes your driver's license "worthless" as a citizenship document, which it shouldn't be anyway. It's still perfectly legitimate as a "form of IDENTIFICATION," because it still contains all of your IDENTITY information (name, address, birthdate, vital statistics, organ donor status).

Get a passport and move on with life, like everyone else on the globe.

rj
AKA
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 16, 2019 01:19PM
I got my CA Real ID license about a year ago, and I just checked the DMV website and found that there are now apparently issues with almost all of the ones issued to date.

Looks like DHS changed the rules after CA implemented their screening process and now require two forms of proof of CA residency.

[www.dmv.ca.gov]

Why did the residency requirement change?

The Department of Homeland Security decided to change the previously approved method by which the DMV collects two proofs of residency. *For a description of DMV’s process, see next question.

*Why didn’t you do this two-form process to begin with?

In an attempt to create the least amount of burden to customers, the DMV followed the process, which the Department of Homeland Security approved for the state of Wisconsin and subsequently for California.

Unfortunately, several months into the DMV’s implementation, the federal government changed its direction for California. The federal government has indicated that Wisconsin will need to change its process as well.

When did the DMV begin requiring applicants to provide two different proofs of California residency?

The DMV began requiring applicants to provide two different proofs of California residency on April 29, 2019.

If I have a REAL ID card already and provided only one residency document when I applied, will I still need to do this?

Yes, you will still need to provide a second residency document, but not immediately.

The DMV is working with the federal government to determine a process that will be least impactful to its customers, including allowing them to provide the second residency document upon renewal of their federal compliant REAL ID card, and allowing them to provide the document online, by mail or by visiting a field office.

Right now, customers who hold a REAL ID driver license or identification card do not need to do anything – the card is valid.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 16, 2019 03:48PM
deckeda
It's so freaking stupid our nation doesn't just use a national driver's license. Or ID.
The public for the most part is opposed to a national ID card. Whenever the idea is proffered there’s a torrent of references to Nazis and “may I see your papers?”.

Date: May 16, 2019 08:36PM
deckeda
Bernie, max is right in most respects. I had to take a sedative in order to type that, but it's true.

Double your dose,

it is true,
I am right most of the time....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Date: May 16, 2019 08:53PM
$tevie
deckeda
The public for the most part is opposed to a national ID card. Whenever the idea is proffered there’s a torrent of references to Nazis and “may I see your papers?”.

Yeah we’ve all seen those movies. At the risk of claiming, “it could never happen here ...” I’d add it’s a shame things are seen as polar opposites. If the feds know who you are, you’re doomed.

Those same people never seem to stop and think for a second the feds actually already DO know who we are. Whatever. Everything has a cost, and our perpetual clusterfudge of mishmash laws is certainly real.
Date: May 17, 2019 05:59AM
My drivers license has been good enough for my entire life as a form of ID. I am upset that that is no longer the case.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: May 17, 2019 06:42AM
My father in law is upset he had never needed any I.D. for some things. Perhaps Bernie you should talk to him about it, seeing as how you’ve progressively accepted this new-fangled government intrusion called “a driver’s license.”

It’s hilarious that the irony of using a more secure means of identifying air travelers seems lost on you.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 17, 2019 12:53PM
max
deckeda

Double your dose,

it is true,

That's a pretty low bar.
Date: May 17, 2019 03:09PM
I find change difficult. Sometimes my upset comes out sideways as xenophobia.

rj
AKA
Date: May 17, 2019 03:18PM
rjmacs
I find change difficult. Sometimes my upset comes out sideways as xenophobia.

And that sound faintly heard is the gentle breeze as it glides over “De Nile” River.
Date: May 17, 2019 07:28PM
Xenophobia is a political term and not a recognized medical phobia.

This new-fangled government intrusion called “a driver’s license.”

Was all you needed unless you left the country.

This Real ID is needed because some political party wants to give anyone with a drivers license a right that was once restricted to Citizens. Any Russian can get a drivers license and vote. If they did would they be meddling in the election. Maybe they have many Driver license.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: May 17, 2019 08:07PM
Bernie
... Any Russian can get a drivers license and vote....

Who told you that?
Date: May 17, 2019 08:09PM
Never needed a drivers license to vote here, so that part is wrong. Main reason that became a thing elsewhere was from politicians and ideologues pushing a false tale of voter fraud. Mostly the intended effect has been to deny or complicate voting for poor citizens, most of whom are POC.
Date: May 21, 2019 08:19AM
Dennis S
max
deckeda

Double your dose,

it is true,

That's a pretty low bar.
...and yet you find it insurmountable....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018