advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
If you praise him you can have your freedom !
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 16, 2019 06:18AM
Trump pardons Conrad Black

"President Trump granted full pardons to a conservative advocate and a former newspaper publisher who recently wrote a book praising the President," CNN's Eli Watkins and Allie Malloy wrote. The publisher is Lord Conrad M. Black, who wrote the promotional book "Donald J. Trump: A President Like No Other" and regularly writes pro-Trump columns. His National Review piece earlier this week was titled "Smooth Sailing Ahead for Trump." Details here...

WaPo summed it up this way in a headline: "Trump pardons billionaire friend Conrad Black who wrote book about him." And former Obama aide Dan Pfeiffer tweeted in response: "A Democrat would be impeached by Republicans and the media would be in a massive feeding frenzy. This will [be] forgotten by morning."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you praise him you can have your freedom !
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 16, 2019 06:57AM
....yup, saw that on the news....he hands out pardons to sycophants....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 16, 2019 07:34AM
Guess what he was convicted of (in addition to stealing millions via fraud)?

Attempted obstruction of justice.

You literally don't have to make this shit up!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 07:34AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 16, 2019 07:41AM
Black, who was born Canadian — though he holds British citizenship and is a British peer — was deported to Canada after being released in 2012. He was barred from returning to the United States for 30 years.

Maybe he did it for the Queen?

On 30 June 2011, Black published an article for the National Review Online that provided his scathing view of the legal case, detailing it as a miscarriage of justice and an "unaccountable and often lawless prosecution".[78] Seth Lipsky, in an opinion piece for the Wall Street Journal that ran on 28 June 2011, called the verdict against Black "head-scratching", noting that Black was found not guilty of the most serious charges brought against him. Lipsky asked why Black was denied a retrial by jury as to whether he had committed pecuniary fraud after the Supreme Court unanimously found that Judge St. Eve's instructions to the jury were "incorrect", which led to two of the three fraud counts ultimately being vacated. In the end, one fraud conviction and a count of obstruction were allowed to stand.[79]

Wiki

The criminal sanctions on Black not overturned were for removing 13 boxes of paper from his office a few days before he had to move offices, and under the gaze of security cameras he has installed, and for receiving US$285,000 as a non-compete payment that was approved by the independent director and publicly disclosed, but where the company secretary had neglected, in what the trial judge considered to be a clerical oversight, to have signed by the parties.

Impeach?
Really!

By the end of his second and final term on January 20, 2017, United States President Barack Obama had exercised his constitutional power to grant executive clemency—that is, "pardon, commutation of sentence, remission of fine or restitution, and reprieve"[1]—to 1,927 individuals convicted of federal crimes. Of the acts of clemency, 1,715 were commutations (including 504 life sentences) and 212 were pardons.[2] Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges,[3] and had received lengthy and sometimes mandatory sentences at the height of the war on drugs.[4]

Obama holds the record for the largest single-day use of the clemency power, granting 330 commutations on January 19, 2017, his last full day in office.[5][6] He also issued more commutations than the past 13 presidents combined. Wiki

Trump is up to 9 with this one.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 16, 2019 08:00AM
So far, what we've learned from these posts is:

Barack Obama commuted the sentences of thousands of people sentenced to life or multiple decades in prison (many after having served decades already) chiefly for non-violent drug offenses.

Donald Trump issues pardons to political supporters and miscreants who look like him..

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 08:01AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 16, 2019 08:27AM
Bernie
I'll now take this time to talk about things Trump doesn't care about while I ignore the reason he connected with Conrad.

I will include something irrelevant about Obama at the end, because whataboutism helps me and others like me.

"This will [be] forgotten by morning." Who are we kidding? They won't care about it even today. <<--must be more of that Republican non-support you claim Trump suffers from.

Total loyalty and narcissistic behavior has real outcomes. Just ask Conrad!
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 16, 2019 08:33AM
Bernie
On 30 June 2011, Black published an article for the National Review Online that provided his scathing view of the legal case, detailing it as a miscarriage of justice and an "unaccountable and often lawless prosecution".[78]

Well, that’s the perp speaking, who shows only that he is a convict with zero remorse.

Bernie
Seth Lipsky, in an opinion piece for the Wall Street Journal that ran on 28 June 2011, called the verdict against Black "head-scratching", noting that Black was found not guilty of the most serious charges brought against him. ... In the end, one fraud conviction and a count of obstruction were allowed to stand.[79]

Born into money, this “Baron” had the resources to fight all the way to the Supreme Court (several times), and while his lawyers got some of the charges dismissed, the SCOTUS let the rest stand. So, based on that, he should be freed from his inconvenient time in Club Fed (a minimum security prison in Florida)?

You didn’t mention he’s also being pursued by Canadian authorities for securities fraud.

Conservatives always think laws are for little people. Trump just proved them right.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 16, 2019 09:18AM
If you can forget all the stuff he's done since writing it, I recommend Black's biography of FDR. Just tape over the author's name and enjoy.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 16, 2019 02:54PM
Mr Downtown
If you can forget all the stuff he's done since writing it, I recommend Black's biography of FDR. Just tape over the author's name and enjoy.

I'll check it out from the library.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 16, 2019 03:44PM
I have some inside knowledge of Black. IMHO, he's a slime.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018