advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Deputy accused of shirking his duty in Stoneman High School shooting arrested for neglect of duty
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 04, 2019 08:12PM
I’m leaning towards the visceral on this, but the details could swing me to a different position.

”Former Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson -- who was criticized for how he responded when a gunman opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School -- has been charged with 11 counts, including felony child neglect charges, authorities said.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Deputy accused of shirking his duty in Stoneman High School shooting arrested for neglect of duty
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 04, 2019 08:27PM
They seem to have good cases for obstruction and perjury.

The other charges are so clearly punitive as to rise to prosecutorial misconduct.

He wasn't in a position of in loco parentis, nor in a qualifying "special relationship" with the children in the school. He breached no professional standard of care for someone directly under his control. If anyone had a qualifying "special relationship" it would have been the teachers, and you don't see the teachers facing charges for failing to throw themselves in front of the gun.

My guess is that they were under great pressure to scapegoat him in the hope that it would distract from the push for gun control.

Re: Deputy accused of shirking his duty in Stoneman High School shooting arrested for neglect of duty
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 04, 2019 08:49PM
LEO are supposed to run towards gunfire. He didn’t. Tough call. I’m happy to let a jury decide as long as I’m not on that jury.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 04, 2019 09:26PM
Speedy
LEO are supposed to run towards gunfire. He didn’t. Tough call. I’m happy to let a jury decide as long as I’m not on that jury.

He wore his Broward Sheriff's Office uniform, but was not on-duty. He was employed as a school discipline/resource officer. SRO. Not LEO.

His job was to maintain order and in the event of trouble to call the police. He did report "possible shots fired." He may not have performed with the character and bravery we'd prefer, but entering the building and facing unknown jeopardy seems to have been far outside of his job description.

I have yet to see any indication that he was obligated to enter the building in any capacity.

Notably, when the police arrived and the captain ordered three deputies to storm the school building, she got in trouble for it and was compelled to resign. LEO procedure called for establishing a perimeter, not going in.

What, did he do wrong? Failed to die?

Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 04, 2019 10:10PM
>What, did he do wrong? Failed to die?

Uphold the NRA narrative - a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun. He didn't, so he must be guilty of something.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 05, 2019 06:57AM
Sarcany
What, did he do wrong? Failed to die?

No - failed to kill a teenager with a gun.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 05, 2019 09:10AM
I recommend this excellent although very difficult to read report, which details the response to the shooting and all that went wrong (and a lot went wrong). . It's hard to imagine how angry the families of the victims must be, knowing all of this. Yes they're going to go after every individual, organization and agency involved, and they have:

[projects.sun-sentinel.com]

A lot of people did something other than what would be ideal or recommended on this day, and it cost lives. That includes the 2 or 3 school staff who were on security that day outside the school and who saw and recognized Nicholas Cruz and saw him carrying a rifle case, but did not follow him or lock down the school or call 911. Cruz was an expelled kid they had earlier called most likely to shoot up the school. These are unarmed school staff, not Scot Petersen.

In contrast, three brave teachers lost their lives that day shielding children from the shooter.

The first deputies to arrive did NOT go inside, the captain had them set up a perimeter which was not the right thing to do, they are supposed to go in towards the gunfire. There was a lot of confusion and nobody took the lead in this event. Law enforcement lacked training and good supervision and the school staff lacked some training too. I recommend reading that report for the details, it's pretty horrifying given all that's happened since Columbine. These folks were not trained and they were not ready.

So it wasn't just this lone school resource officer who failed in duty that day, though he did fail, in multiple, serious ways including preventing deputies from entering the building.
No idea if these strange criminal charges against him will stick, it's hard to say what a jury from a traumatized community like this, a community out for vengeance against everybody, will do. I would think actions against him would be civil, not criminal.

There is so much trauma related to this, I get upset thinking about it and I don't know anyone involved and live far away. Imagine what it's like for the actual survivors, the families of those lost and first responders and school staff. We know from Columbine that it's multi-generational trauma. Kids of Columbine survivors are having a rough time, some of those survivors are still having a rough time.

None of the "justice" elements will reduce the pain for the families though, including going after Scot Peterson or having Nicholas Cruz get the death penalty, which he likely will. But it helps officials and politicians feel like they're doing something.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 05, 2019 09:35AM
If Good Guys With Guns are going to save us, then they must know what the hell they are doing. Given that every one of these reports is full of woulda shoulda coulda's 20 years since Columbine make me think that bar is impossible to reach.
Date: June 05, 2019 10:03AM
Acer
If Good Guys With Guns are going to save us, then they must know what the hell they are doing. Given that every one of these reports is full of woulda shoulda coulda's 20 years since Columbine make me think that bar is impossible to reach.

This one actually could have been stopped or at least better contained by "good guys" who didn't have any guns. If they'd done the right thing.

The only person responsible for these deaths is Nicholas Cruz. The only.

However, law enforcement around the country and school officials routinely prevent and intervene against violence, there are things they can and should do and should know how to do. It will never be perfect but the mistakes in this particular case are pretty extreme. Scot Peterson's failures are just in the mix, not the worst of the day. He's just one out of shape middle aged man with a gun and a radio.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 05, 2019 10:54AM
Lemon Drop
He's just one out of shape middle aged man with a gun and a radio.

With the gun and the radio come great responsiblities.

He was allowed to have them on school grounds to defend students or just intimidate them?

Regardless of the charges and the verdict, he will live out his remaining years ....... in hell, waiting to go to hell.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: June 05, 2019 11:14AM
Bernie
Lemon Drop
He's just one out of shape middle aged man with a gun and a radio.

With the gun and the radio come great responsiblities.

He was allowed to have them on school grounds to defend students or just intimidate them?

Regardless of the charges and the verdict, he will live out his remaining years ....... in hell, waiting to go to hell.

I'm sure he must feel very guilty, along with many other people who made mistakes that day. Whether his mistakes and inaction rise to the level of criminal conduct as charged, I don't know.

These are his mistakes that terrible day according to the NY Times:
1. He didn't go inside the building or try to locate the source of the gunfire. He had been trained that during an active shooting he must “immediately go to confront the shooter” and “move directly and quickly toward known threat.”
2. He sought personal safety in a nearby building and stayed there throughout the event.
3. He told other law enforcement to stay away during the shooting.

At 2:28 p.m. — seven minutes after the gunman entered the building — Mr. Peterson said over the radio: “Broward, do not approach the 12 or 1300 buildings. Stay at least 500 feet away at this point.”

During the time Mr. Peterson remained outside the building, the gunman shot and killed six of his victims, including five students, and wounded four others, according to the affidavit. Seven of those victims were students under the age of 18, which is why Mr. Peterson was charged with seven counts of felony neglect of a child.

Mr. Peterson was charged with perjury for making a false statement that he did not hear any shots fired after he arrived at the building, except for the first two or three shots he heard, according to the affidavit.

[www.nytimes.com]

Experts say that criminally charging a law enforcement officer for negligence in his response to a mass shooting is new ground.

“This is the first time I have seen somebody so charged like this,” Clinton R. Van Zandt, a former profiler with the F.B.I. and an expert on mass shootings, said. “I think that every police officer, sheriff and F.B.I. agent understands that you have to go to the threat and stop it and that we are no longer going to wait for SWAT or set up perimeters.”

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 11:17AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 05, 2019 12:07PM
Lemon Drop
These are his mistakes that terrible day according to The NY Times:

This helps inform my emotional reaction. Thank you.

Officially on duty or off, he got up that morning and put on the uniform. A uniform that speaks to everyone around him of his promise and duty to protect those around him. Further, he strapped on a deadly weapon. A weapon that carries with it not just the license to take a life, but, along with his oath and the uniform, a promise to protect life behind that sword of gunpowder and lead.

He had no duty to casually throw away his life. But he did have a duty to at least try to preserve life. At least to try to find a way to protect those around him.

He didn’t try to stop the shooter. He didn’t try to guide others to safety. He didn’t try to aid the wounded. He hid.

He’s even accused of hindering others in filling the void he left.

I’m of an age where I think I know myself well enough to honestly believe I would have done better, but I’m also of an age to know that more often than not, one never really knows until one has done it. Or not.

I do know, that in the place he finds himself now, I may or may not expect punishment at the hands of the law, but I would accept punishment. Without hesitation or complaint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 12:09PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 05, 2019 12:33PM
I honestly don't know what punishing him would accomplish.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 05, 2019 03:14PM
mattkime
I honestly don't know what punishing him would accomplish.

It gives gun lovers their proper scapegoat. It also allows them to ignore everything else that caused this to happen.

I don't give this guy a "free pass," on that day, but the charges against him surely place a misplaced target right on him and him alone.

Anyone who thinks he's solely or "mostly" responsible and lost forever in what-if fantasies is a moron destined to allow the next one to occur.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 06, 2019 08:36AM
If a cop can get off after shooting an unarmed kid in the back (because they are running away) 16 times, then he will probably get off, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018