advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Pfizer had clues its blockbuster drug could prevent Alzheimer’s. Why didn’t it tell the world?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 05, 2019 01:19PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

“A team of researchers inside Pfizer made a startling find in 2015: The company’s blockbuster rheumatoid arthritis therapy Enbrel, a powerful anti-inflammatory drug, appeared to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 64 percent.

The results were from an analysis of hundreds of thousands of insurance claims. Verifying that the drug would actually have that effect in people would require a costly clinical trial — and after several years of internal discussion, Pfizer opted against further investigation and chose not to make the data public, the company confirmed.

Researchers in the company’s division of inflammation and immunology urged Pfizer to conduct a clinical trial on thousands of patients, which they estimated would cost $80 million, to see if the signal contained in the data was real, according to an internal company document obtained by The Washington Post.

“Enbrel could potentially safely prevent, treat and slow progression of Alzheimer’s disease,’’ said the document, a PowerPoint slide show that was prepared for review by an internal Pfizer committee in February 2018.

The company told The Post that it decided during its three years of internal reviews that Enbrel did not show promise for Alzheimer’s prevention because the drug does not directly reach brain tissue. It deemed the likelihood of a successful clinical trial to be low. A synopsis of its statistical findings prepared for outside publication, it says, did not meet its “rigorous scientific standards.’’

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 01:20PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pfizer had clues its blockbuster drug could prevent Alzheimer’s. Why didn’t it tell the world?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 05, 2019 02:18PM
....yup saw that this morning.....basically because they would have had to put a lot money into it......and the FDA makes it difficult to patent a drug for 'alternative' purpose than it was initially intended........so basically, it comes down to money......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Pfizer had clues its blockbuster drug could prevent Alzheimer’s. Why didn’t it tell the world?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 05, 2019 02:18PM
If they don't know why it might slow progression of Alzheimer’s disease, they can't "say" that it does.

In other words you can't prescribe something based on hoping its side effects help you.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 05, 2019 02:32PM
There are basically three ways a clinical trial ends:

1) The trial runs its pre-determined course;

2) The trial causes too many deaths and must be cut short;

3) The trial shows spectacular results.

#1 and #2 are quite a costly gamble in hopes that #3 comes true … and how would they pay for all the management staff if they put their money into experimental trials? These multi-hundred million dollar managers must be paid their due…

There's also the horrible notion that Alzheimer's patients are already EOL, so the ROI may be smaller than big pharma wants to deal with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 02:34PM by bfd.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 05, 2019 03:03PM
...and it makes people want to vote Republican.........
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 05, 2019 03:16PM
testcase
That was the business case for Sildenafil...
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 05, 2019 06:20PM
testcase

I thought it prevented dementia.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 05, 2019 09:02PM
deckeda
If they don't know why it might slow progression of Alzheimer’s disease, they can't "say" that it does.

In other words you can't prescribe something based on hoping its side effects help you.

Not true. If you do a prospective study and show it works, even by mysterious means, you can get approval.

They thought it would run $80M or more.

They had already funded a smaller trial, which showed inconclusive (i.e. negative) results.

If you want to pay for that $80M study, go for it.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 05, 2019 09:33PM
It might be most valuable as a research tool. It sounds like they could not predict who it would help and I am not sure it really prevents Alzheimer's, just delays onset.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: June 05, 2019 11:41PM
sekker
deckeda

Not true. If you do a prospective study and show it works, even by mysterious means, you can get approval.

They had already funded a smaller trial, which showed inconclusive (i.e. negative) results.

The industry spills $150B a year on research and development. I’m good with them writing the check, thanks. I mean, only if they can make enormous profits.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 06, 2019 09:30AM
deckeda
sekker
deckeda

The industry spills $150B a year on research and development. I’m good with them writing the check, thanks. I mean, only if they can make enormous profits.

You - or at least your retirement fund - is likely writing those checks and earning those profits.
Date: June 06, 2019 10:04AM
sekker
deckeda
sekker
deckeda

You - or at least your retirement fund - is likely writing those checks and earning those profits.

That’s an even better reason for them to spend the dime.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 06, 2019 12:07PM
sekker
deckeda
sekker
deckeda

The industry is spending 2 to 3 times that on marketing from the latest information I have looked at. They can spend a little bit less on that marketing and fund studies. That would have no impact on their profits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 314
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018