advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Tucker Carlson Rails Against The ‘Global Tyranny’ Of The Metric System"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 06, 2019 05:19PM
[talkingpointsmemo.com]

“Almost every nation on Earth has fallen under the yoke of tyranny: The metric system,” Carlson declared. “The United States is the only country that has resisted, but we have no reason to be ashamed for using feet and pounds.”

“I’m taking a stand against the metric system,” show guest James Panero told Carlson. “The original system of global revolution and new world orders.”

“God bless you, and that’s exactly what it is,” the Fox host responded. “Esperanto died, but the metric system continues, this weird utopian, inelegant, creepy system that we alone have resisted.”

At the end of the program, Carlson swore to “keep fighting against the global tyranny of the metric system.”

“I’ll accept the kilometer when we accept the Euro: Never!” Carlson vowed.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Tucker Carlson Rails Against The ‘Global Tyranny’ Of The Metric System"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 06, 2019 05:27PM
Who ?
Bloody idiot.

US manufacturers all use the Metric system if they want to sell to the rest of the planet.

Just my 0.02 €.

I will admit I still have trouble thinking in the Metric system. And I keep losing my 10mm socket.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 06, 2019 05:38PM
" And I keep losing my 10mm socket. "

" Here is a chart that shows you the crossover between metric sockets and standard sockets. You will find that tools from different manufacturers have different tolerances, and may not fit the way they should. When in doubt, go buy the right socket for your needs. "

[agradetools.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2019 05:39PM by btfc.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 06, 2019 05:44PM
'take me to your liter'
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 06, 2019 06:29PM
So much better to use a system based on the length of a barleycorn.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 06, 2019 07:40PM
in high school i swore you'd have to pry inches and pounds from my cold, dead hands but these days i find grams, liters, and centimeters so much easier to deal with. the math is simpler.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 06, 2019 07:54PM

“The United States is the only country that has resisted...

Simplistic generalization for the Faux "News" fanatics.

"Remember that in areas of street lighting (other than on motorways) a 30mph limit applies unless another limit is specifically signed"

See page 20:
[assets.publishing.service.gov.uk]
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 06, 2019 08:31PM
There are pros and cons to any measuring system. In the end, it's all arbitrary. Just pick one and move on. But claiming a badge of honor to support one over the other like it's staving off some communist plot is asinine. Right there with the anti-vaxers, climate deniers and black helicopter enthusiasts.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 06, 2019 10:15PM
To me, the metric system is clearly better for scientists and engineers who have a lot of equations to work with that involve quantities derived from empirical measurements. It's not even close.

I can see, though, that for the everyday Josephine that has developed an almost kinesthetic sense of Imperial/American units that they deal with every day, that conversion to the metric system promises to be nothing but a pain in the butt for not much gain that they can see. But, as others have said here, to take that reluctance and try to rationalize it through some globalist conspiracy is silly and pernicious.

If you haven't run into Tucker Carlson in your reading or viewing, here's a critique of his evolution:

[www.cjr.org]

[snippet]

In a tweet, Jon Lovett of Crooked Media and Pod Save America, noted, “Tucker Carlson’s transition from conservative serious-ish writer to blustery CNN guy to Daily Caller troll to race-baiting Fox News host is like ice core data on what led to this moment in our politics.”

In June, Conor Friedersdorf wrote in The Atlantic, “Carlson squandered his considerable God-given talent for scrupulously true commentary, opting instead for clickbait at The Daily Caller or dumbed-down demagoguery at Fox.”

Like with Limbaugh, sometimes I wonder how much of what he says are things he really believes and how much is just red meat for the Republican base to boost his viewership even if he knows its bunk.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2019 10:17PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 06, 2019 10:35PM
It worked for Pres. Reagan, it will work for Faux News opinion formers.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 06, 2019 11:36PM
Standard units have their place. A foot divides easily into thirds, for example; fractions are perfectly precise. Can technically only approximate many common standard-measure fractions with a base 10 system and decimals. Standard is handy in the wood shop with analog tools for that reason.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 07, 2019 06:06AM
The preceding two arguments can be made for the metric system as well. The everyday person is used to whatever they’ve grown up with. Analog tools can be demarcated in any way you’d like.

Furthermore, the metric system makes learning science and math MUCH easier. The units describe what is being measured. The units for a force is kg•m/s2 (called a Newton), which is the force required to accelerate one kg of mass at an acceleration of one meter per second squared, just like Newton’s equation F=ma. I don’t even want to try to explain slugs, pound mass and pound force.

We just need to make the transition and get it over with. It may be tough for one generation, but subsequent generations won’t have any issues.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 07, 2019 07:29AM
Carnos Jax
The preceding two arguments can be made for the metric system as well. The everyday person is used to whatever they’ve grown up with. Analog tools can be demarcated in any way you’d like.

Furthermore, the metric system makes learning science and math MUCH easier. The units describe what is being measured. The units for a force is kg•m/s2 (called a Newton), which is the force required to accelerate one kg of mass at an acceleration of one meter per second squared, just like Newton’s equation F=ma. I don’t even want to try to explain slugs, pound mass and pound force.

We just need to make the transition and get it over with. It may be tough for one generation, but subsequent generations won’t have any issues.

Exactly! Canada went through it and their society survived, the current generation has no problem with metric, and they look at us as being lame. I was a kid, but remember that both countries were metricating at about the same time, but Canada had a mandate from their government that metrication will happen, while the US metrication was "voluntary". So most people in the US griped, some highways had both, radio stations for a while said temps in both units, but eventually it failed as people resisted. Plus, thanks to Ronnie our metrication stopped, if Carter would have won a second term most likely we would now be closer to being a metric nation. Canada, on the other hand, had a huge outcry from their people, but since it was a mandate, it happened regardless of what people thought. Now Canadians see metric as normal, and we are still mired in dual systems.

By the way, Carlson is an idiot.

I was hoping that Obama would have pushed metrication, but he seemed more interested in promoting the Big Brother surveillance on American citizens.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 07, 2019 08:03AM
Fahrenheit does have more whole-degree increments than Centigrade, allowing a more finely expressed statement of temperature.

Water, freezing to boiling:
Fahrenheit - 32 to 212 = 180 increments
Centigrade - 0 to 100 = 100 increments
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 07, 2019 08:27AM
DeusxMac

Hey don’t forget Tardigrade! Those things are super tiny!

And Carlson wins another click-bait topic in his demand for attention.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 07, 2019 11:20AM
Ted King

...and used the metric system to do so.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 07, 2019 04:11PM
In this country we have done metric 'money' for a LONG time.

I'd love to call these idiots bluff and say, ok - let's do the old english way of money and see what they think of the 'metric' system THEN.

12 pence = 1 shilling
20 shillings = 1 pound sterling

So let's a make 1 dollar equal to 20 nickels and 12 pennies equals one nickel.

I think just about anyone would say that's insane.
Posted by: max
Date: June 07, 2019 08:30PM
DeusxMac
Fahrenheit does have more whole-degree increments than Centigrade, allowing a more finely expressed statement of temperature.

Water, freezing to boiling:

Actually not quite true:
Centigrade - 0 to 100, then shift a decimal point = 1000 increments.
And that simplicity is the advantage of the metric system....
Date: June 07, 2019 09:22PM
Fahrenheit is a very human scale in the 0-100 range. Below 0 F, deadly cold; above 100 F, deadly hot. Everything in between is more or less livable for humans without extraordinary precautions.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 08, 2019 02:18PM
Acer
Fahrenheit is a very human scale in the 0-100 range. Below 0 F, deadly cold; above 100 F, deadly hot. Everything in between is more or less livable for humans without extraordinary precautions.

But that doesn't make it any 'better'. Defining 1ºC makes makes sense - I don't even know how 1ºF is defined...
Date: June 08, 2019 09:05PM
I'm not arguing that the American standard system is better. Merely pointing out that it does have thought behind it.
Posted by: max
Date: June 11, 2019 12:28PM
Acer
I'm not arguing that the American standard system is better. Merely pointing out that it does have thought behind it.
And so does every other system, the difference is that ours is quite obsolete....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018