advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Alcohol costs a lot of money
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 07, 2019 03:29PM
I don't drink at all. Not even a little bit. I won't even eat food that they say has been prepared with alcohol.

So I had to meet some acquaintances at a bar because that's where they were. I've eaten at places that have bars but I've probably only been inside a BAR bar probably less than 10 times in 60 years.

The waitress/server/whatever she is asked me what I wanted and I ordered a Pepsi (no pepsi - coke). That was $7 dollars. I didn't pay for it because one of my colleagues bought the round.

We chitted and chatted a bunch while "soccer" was on the tv. They kept talking about the game like I knew about some foreign team that they inexplicably care about. I'm like "You're not even FROM there." Anyway,

Everybody ordered more drinks and I offered to pay for that round. $107.00!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!

I was cool. I gave the woman my card + two sawbucks. Drank my no pepsi - coke, laughed it up with my friends, and eventually picked my jaw up off the floor and went home thinking,

I'm in the wrong business.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Alcohol costs a lot of money
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 07, 2019 03:54PM
Booze does cost a lot of money. It's why I had to give up those $7 glasses of diabetes. Took me a long time to learn not to mix drinks. Such a waste.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 07, 2019 03:57PM
Bars cost a lot of money. I can buy a gallon of alcohol for $9.
Date: June 07, 2019 04:11PM
I do like Wine culture. I enjoy vinyards, Love Sonoma, Napa etc, but food is such a huge part of that environment that it's easy for me to blend into it (yes I blend).
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 07, 2019 04:14PM
Looks like it could be a solid income maker if you know what you are doing, have a $100,000 to sink into the bar before seeing any income and can get the right location:

Investopedia

Economic Bottom Line

From a profit and loss perspective, to run a successful small to average bars, it costs around $110,000 initially to rent and prep a place for operations. Approximately $4,500 is needed for a liquor license, and along with smaller costs for permits and insurance, it is safe to assume a total of $5,000 is needed. The amount of $6,000 is required for inventory, bringing the total cost, prior to operation, to roughly $121,000.

Once the bar is open for business, an owner must spend $13,000 on staff, $6,000 on rent and a small amount on utilities and miscellaneous monthly purchases, bringing total monthly costs to $20,000. This does not include inventory replenishment, which can be done periodically for a smaller amount than the initial $6,000.

This means an average bar has monthly revenues of $25,000, monthly costs of $20,000 and monthly profits of $5,000. With an initial investment of $121,000, a bar owner can expect to pay himself or his investors back in a little over two years. However, these numbers are all based on averages and do not take into account the sweat equity needed to start and run a successful bar.
Date: June 07, 2019 04:43PM
Ted King
Looks like it could be a solid income maker if you know what you are doing, have a $100,000 to sink into the bar before seeing any income and can get the right location:

Investopedia

Economic Bottom Line

From a profit and loss perspective, to run a successful small to average bars, it costs around $110,000 initially to rent and prep a place for operations. Approximately $4,500 is needed for a liquor license, and along with smaller costs for permits and insurance, it is safe to assume a total of $5,000 is needed. The amount of $6,000 is required for inventory, bringing the total cost, prior to operation, to roughly $121,000.

Once the bar is open for business, an owner must spend $13,000 on staff, $6,000 on rent and a small amount on utilities and miscellaneous monthly purchases, bringing total monthly costs to $20,000. This does not include inventory replenishment, which can be done periodically for a smaller amount than the initial $6,000.

This means an average bar has monthly revenues of $25,000, monthly costs of $20,000 and monthly profits of $5,000. With an initial investment of $121,000, a bar owner can expect to pay himself or his investors back in a little over two years. However, these numbers are all based on averages and do not take into account the sweat equity needed to start and run a successful bar.

That doesn't sound so bad. I woud definitely want live music in my bar sometimes.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 07, 2019 06:28PM
And late nights. If you don't have a trustworthy manager, you gotta be there to close and take possession of the daily loot.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 07, 2019 06:47PM
...and the “one for the road” “last call” drunks. drool smileybarf smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 08, 2019 06:56PM
Strippers, too.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018