advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Learned a new word today: incel
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 07, 2019 11:26PM
Stands for Involuntarily Celibate, which is a stupid way of describing it if it’s your own moronic and psychotic behavior creating the circumstance.

It reads like a story of how the onset of puberty ruins some males forever, to say nothing of their lifelong victims.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Learned a new word today: incel
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 07, 2019 11:36PM
Not going to follow that link.

I feel dirty just knowing such a culture exists.

I wonder why.

Most people's crazy fetishes don't bug me at all. Unless they're really excessive, oppressive, obnoxious, violent, destructive or outrageously gross.

...I guess I just answered my own question.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 07, 2019 11:49PM
Sarcany
Not going to follow that link.

I feel dirty just knowing such a culture exists.

I wonder why.

Most people's crazy fetishes don't bug me at all. Unless they're really excessive, oppressive, obnoxious, violent, destructive or outrageously gross.

...I guess I just answered my own question.

Or murderous.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 07, 2019 11:53PM
I didn’t read it as fetishism per se, but rather a stone cold mental defect left unchecked. The headline claims it’s “male supremacy” that creates violent misogyny. It doesn’t address anything about how or why it manifests.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 08, 2019 11:42AM
Wow. It amazes me the things that fly under the radar. I’ve seen countless pieces referencing incels in the past year.

Don’t go too far down the mental defect rabbit hole. There is that, but its also a part of the current legitimization, radicalization and emboldening of the angry white male; in the same pot as the alt right, white supremacy, mens’ rights.

This is a pretty good article that gives some insight into the culture and how some, through a perhaps unexpected route, may escape that culture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 11:44AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 08, 2019 10:09PM
I remembered that a mass shooter from some time ago was a self-identified incel. I had to Google to find him, because I could not remember which one. (I can't believe I live in a world where mass murderers are so numerous that one can't keep them straight. I can still name Richard Speck and Charles Whitman because the killings were so unusual and shocking, but not any of the dozens of killers in more recent years.) [en.wikipedia.org]

Since that mass shooting five years ago, a number of mass murderers have been suspected of being incels or at least of being bitter about not getting laid.

Date: June 08, 2019 10:32PM
Yup. His name (which I shall not mention), and a grandiose nickname he bestowed upon himself, have become buzzwords among incels; he’s fancied a hero.

He’s referred to in sniggering posts as someone to be emulated. Worse, he has been cited as an inspiration by at least one violent actor.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: June 09, 2019 12:06AM
Interesting article, if a bit overly salacious in detail.

The truth is most incels are guys who simply and flatly refuse to accept that their lack of romantic relationships is directly attributable to their non-existent or negative social skills and most of whom, in my non-licensed opinion, suffer some degree of autism and/or Asperger's Syndrome because they are unable to pick up on, regularly misinterpret, or are genuinely mystified by the most basic of social cues that the rest of us learned how to receive and respond to appropriately by 4th grade.

Back to the linked article, the author seems to be trying to make the point that the killer did what he did because he was an incel despite the fact that the killer was showing clear signs of psychosis long before there even was such a thing as an incel. Incel and psychopath are not mutually exclusive terms, but neither are they one in the same.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 09, 2019 10:48AM
Thrift Store Scott

The truth is most incels are guys who simply and flatly refuse to accept that their lack of romantic relationships is directly attributable to their non-existent or negative social skills and most of whom, in my non-licensed opinion, suffer some degree of autism and/or Asperger's Syndrome because they are unable to pick up on, regularly misinterpret, or are genuinely mystified by the most basic of social cues that the rest of us learned how to receive and respond to appropriately by 4th grade.

Or some people are just a-holes!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: June 09, 2019 11:14AM
Rolando
Thrift Store Scott

Or some people are just a-holes!

Yes and that's what got the women killed. Several people along the way ignored him as just another asshat, instead of a dangerous asshat. We really don't have much in our society that identifies these people and deals with them until after the fact. Even the women who earlier could have pressed charges didn't necessarily do so.

We're very tolerant of letting people just do whatever they want.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 09, 2019 11:23AM
Thrift Store Scott

Back to the linked article, the author seems to be trying to make the point that the killer did what he did because he was an incel despite the fact that the killer was showing clear signs of psychosis long before there even was such a thing as an incel. Incel and psychopath are not mutually exclusive terms, but neither are they one in the same.

I'm gonna come out and say that pinning this pathology on neuro-atypical folks is wrong-headed, bigoted, uninformed, and plays into all manner of unfounded anxieties people have about folks with cognitive or emotional conditions.

There's no documented connection between incel/male supremacy-fueled violence and autism (or any common mental health condition). There is lots of documented connection between communities that foster hatred of women and feminine sexuality and this violence, though.

What is it that impels us to find this violent phenomenon's source in an organic biological condition that resides in the individual instead of discussing how this phenomenon co-arose with the emergence of virtual communities of misogyny?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 09, 2019 12:33PM
I can see some ancillary consideration that these are monstrously destructive, and perhaps alluring, pipelines for sufferers of certain dysfunctions to funnel their toxicity into, but they are a leaf on the weed not the whole of it, let alone the root.
Date: June 09, 2019 12:37PM
rjmacs
What is it that impels us to find this violent phenomenon's source in an organic biological condition that resides in the individual instead of discussing how this phenomenon co-arose with the emergence of virtual communities of misogyny?

It's because the existence of, or equal access to, those virtual communities don't "convert" most men. Ya gotta be prone to accept it.

And since you brought it up, I know an autistic teen who's forever been convinced everything is someone else's fault and that if you don't like him, something's wrong with you. His parents didn't teach him that, and he didn't have access to such virtual communities as a kid.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 09, 2019 01:12PM
Thrift Store Scott
The truth is most incels are guys who simply and flatly refuse to accept that their lack of romantic relationships is directly attributable to their non-existent or negative social skills and most of whom, in my non-licensed opinion, suffer some degree of autism and/or Asperger's Syndrome because they are unable to pick up on, regularly misinterpret, or are genuinely mystified by the most basic of social cues that the rest of us learned how to receive and respond to appropriately by 4th grade...

Statistically, autistics are not more prone to this behavior than others. Really, it's the opposite. There have been some studies touching on this. For the most part those with autism and Asperger's are non-sexual. Only something like 5% of adults with Asperger's have much of a sex drive. Some studies suggest it's closer to 2%.

Also incels are overwhelmingly white.

These factors do not point to Asperger's or to any genetic condition science is currently aware of.

Rather, it points to a certain expectation of privilege.

The "toxic masculinity" elements are not the whole of the pathology.

I think this movement is a fetish-cult. A manifestation of death-worship. It's amplified by advertising and social media. People who feel that there is something broken inside of them or people so taken with their physical defects that they decide that hurting others is the only way that they can receive any sort of recognition and with many it becomes the only way that they can get sexually aroused. A large part of the movement is determined to promote despair by feeding false information through social media. A large part of the movement is built around suicidal ideation. They ultimately want to destroy the world.

Posted by: Janit
Date: June 10, 2019 09:55AM
It is worth remembering that a lack of "social skills" can be an outcome of many different conditions or situations. A certain superficial similarity in various people's behavior does not mean that they are all the same or that they will all display the same global pathology.

It is also worth remembering that an inclination to blame other people for one's own deficiencies is quite generously distributed among the neuro-typical and neuro-atypical alike.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 316
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018