advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Annals Of The Police State.....
Posted by: max
Date: June 09, 2019 12:54PM
Lets point our fingers at Russia, lets point our fingers at China, this way we do not have to admit it is us....

this week marked the 2nd anniversary of the arrest of whistleblower Reality Winner. She’s currently serving a five-year sentence in federal prison in Texas. It’s among the longest sentences ever given to an alleged journalistic source in this country. Winner was the first whistleblower under the Trump administration to be charged under the Espionage Act, for allegedly printing out a top secret NSA document related to alleged Russian cyberattacks on software used in some U.S. voting systems...

JS: So, as we know Julian Assange is facing 17 espionage counts in the United States right now. Chelsea Manning is once again, in jail for refusing to give testimony in the grand jury proceedings that led to these new indictments under the Espionage Act of Julian Assange. You and Ai Weiwei and other international figures have been protesting against the, first, the arrest of Assange, now the imprisonment of Assange and the facing of these espionage charges. Why are you taking time out of your life to protest the treatment of Julian Assange?

SH: Because he took the time out of his life to fight for us. What WikiLeaks did is that for the first time in modern history, it created a system where you can protect those courageous whistleblowers like Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, and others who would then publish this information and it would be available to all of us. Precisely in this world of fake news and memes and this situation which truth doesn’t matter anymore. I found already the arbitrary detention at the Ecuadorian Embassy a big scandal for Western democracies.

I visited Julian quite often at the Ecuadorian Embassy and the scene when you would enter the Ecuadorian Embassy at Knightsbridge in London tells you everything that is wrong with today’s world. What is happening now, I think, it’s an even bigger scandal because democracy in the west is dying if someone like Julian Assange is in prison. All these governments, Ecuador now even UK, they are meeting with John Bolton, with Pompeo, with the U.S. officials who want Julian Assange to be extradited to the United States as soon as possible.

And why is this dangerous? If that happens, I think, to even speak about democracy anymore will be impossible because there is no democracy without the freedom of speech. There is no democracy without the First Amendment in the U.S. There is no democracy without the freedom of [the] press. So, if the extradition of Julian Assange happens, I think it will be impossible to speak about democracy anymore. Many other people, including journalists, might end up in prison as well. And this is not happening in China. This is not happening in Russia. This is happening in the center of European civilization, in London. It’s happening in Europe. And I think this is the biggest scandal of the early 21st century. The very fact that someone who didn’t kill anyone is kept in a prison with mass murderers, with terrorists, basically 23 hours in his cell....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Annals Of The Police State.....
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 09, 2019 01:02PM
link???

Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 09, 2019 01:24PM
we do not have to admit it is us

FYI, pronouns are convenient, but when unidentified become pointless. If you have something to say, try employing an editor. Or at least a proofreader first.

And we have no way of knowing who "SH" is, but that missive goes beyond mere false premise (of which there are several ... ). It speaks like an anarchist. I know a few personally: everything government does is not merely wrong, but generally horrific and utterly inexcusable. To say that they don't vote, or vote on whims, is an understatement.

What they want is perfect and permanent freedom to do absolutely anything to anyone anywhere, for themselves. Zero accountability. Nothing owed to society, where everyone's an idiot except for them.

I'll tell you what's horrific and inexcusable. It's that some dolt out there thinks Wikileaks is here to save us from fake news and memes, rather than directly have a hand in their promotion.

Another is the implication that neither China nor Russia unfairly imprison people. That one goes a step further, to laughable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 01:25PM by deckeda.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 10, 2019 12:44AM

I found already the arbitrary detention at the Ecuadorian Embassy a big scandal for Western democracies.

“Arbitrary detention?” Assange fled there on his own volition to avoid extradition on rape charges.

RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 10, 2019 12:47AM
pdq

I found already the arbitrary detention at the Ecuadorian Embassy a big scandal for Western democracies.

“Arbitrary detention?” Assange fled there on his own volition to avoid extradition on rape charges.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Nothing but first-class links from max.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 11, 2019 01:17PM
Dennis S
pdq

RollingEyesSmiley5

Nothing but first-class links from max.

Indeed. First class links…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 328
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018