advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Annals of the Breast State
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 12, 2019 08:06AM
A law written with enough vagueness to avoid the direct answer its opponents argue their position from.

A city that apologized, because if it were a private institution, “good luck with that.”

Men raised to think about “@#$%&.”

And a kid who needed to be fed.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Annals of the Breast State
Date: June 12, 2019 08:08AM
Oh, forgot one more it seems.

Internet forums, like some lifeguards, that assume words are “bad.”

Management based on sticks-and-stones philosophy.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 12, 2019 10:53AM
deckeda
A law written with enough vagueness to avoid the direct answer its opponents argue their position from.

A city that apologized, because if it were a private institution, “good luck with that.”

Men raised to think about “@#$%&.”

And a kid who needed to be fed.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

I’m getting a subscription-required screen from your link.
Date: June 12, 2019 11:15AM
Sorry, WaPo is a subscription site.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 12, 2019 11:15AM
Thanks for keeping us abreast of this situation!

"I’m getting a subscription-required screen from your link."

The Washington Post recently changed their policy, I started getting nagged about private browsing on my phone because I don't accept cookies.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 12, 2019 02:25PM
Only in Texsux…
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 12, 2019 02:47PM
Merits of either position aside, I do love hyperbole,

... “leaving her reeling from shock, shame and embarrassment, she said.”

Reporter or source, an unending font of amusement, even in the midst of a topic that does need resolution. big grin smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 12, 2019 02:54PM
Blankity Blank

Reporter or source, an unending font of amusement, even in the midst of a topic that does need resolution. big grin smiley

Not to be a jerk, but does it seem unreasonable to have such a reaction to being accosted multiple times AND having the cops called on you at the pool because you were feeding your baby? Calling the cops over this is shocking by itself, the pool employees were clearly trying to shame her, and the whole thing would be deeply embarrassing to any community member so singled out.

It's not going to end her, but I don't see the hyperbole you do in the quote.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 12, 2019 02:57PM
bfd
Only in Texsux…

Happens all over the country. Even in NY where there's a law allowing women to go topless wherever men are allowed to do so. Some people just suck.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 12, 2019 04:47PM
rjmacs
Blankity Blank

Not to be a jerk, but does it seem unreasonable to have such a reaction to being accosted multiple times AND having the cops called on you at the pool because you were feeding your baby? Calling the cops over this is shocking by itself, the pool employees were clearly trying to shame her, and the whole thing would be deeply embarrassing to any community member so singled out.

I get the feeling of hyperbole, which I suspect is on the part of the reporter since it’s not a direct quote, from it sounding like she has, very wisely, versed herself on the legality of her actions, meaning she was aware of the possibility of being confronted by those less than enlightened. That being the case, her “reeling with shock” when that very thing happened doesn’t quite line up with her very rational preparedness to stand up for her rights.

It does line up with a reporter looking to add a touch of (quite harmless) sizzle to their story.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 12, 2019 04:52PM
Blankity Blank
rjmacs
Blankity Blank

I get the feeling of hyperbole, which I suspect is on the part of the reporter since it’s not a direct quote, from it sounding like she has, very wisely, versed herself on the legality of her actions, meaning she was aware of the possibility of being confronted by those less than enlightened. That being the case, her “reeling with shock” when that very thing happened doesn’t quite line up with her very rational preparedness to stand up for her rights.

It does line up with a reporter looking to add a touch of (quite harmless) sizzle to their story.

I was getting a similar idea. Doesn't every breast feeding mom carry a giant bag of baby stuff that includes a small blanket to keep people from freaking out whenever she whips out a teet? I get the idea that she was bored and felt like having a confrontation or maybe she decided that it was too hot for the blanket and decided she shouldn't need it anyway - 'let's see what happens...'
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 12, 2019 05:46PM
Sarcany
bfd
Only in Texsux…

Some people just suck.

Especially those between birth and one year… it's kinda all they can do. smileys with beer
Date: June 12, 2019 07:29PM
hal
... I get the idea that she was bored and felt like having a confrontation or maybe she decided that it was too hot for the blanket and decided she shouldn't need it anyway - 'let's see what happens...'

There's all sorts of conjecture there. Yours is a classic "she was asking for it" response.

So much of this is a perceptual thing. We think nothing of bikinis even though a normal bra and panties reveal no more. Even with one breast partially exposed the mom was more covered up than others, for sure.

Regardless, doesn't matter. It's a boob, and apparently an obscenity even when used to feed a chid.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 13, 2019 04:07PM
deckeda
hal
... I get the idea that she was bored and felt like having a confrontation or maybe she decided that it was too hot for the blanket and decided she shouldn't need it anyway - 'let's see what happens...'

There's all sorts of conjecture there. Yours is a classic "she was asking for it" response.

So much of this is a perceptual thing. We think nothing of bikinis even though a normal bra and panties reveal no more. Even with one breast partially exposed the mom was more covered up than others, for sure.

Regardless, doesn't matter. It's a boob, and apparently an obscenity even when used to feed a chid.

You DO realize that every breastfeeding mom carries a little blanket around with her - right? Of course there was a lot of conjecture. Note that I didn't say that there was anything wrong with breast feeding... Every breast feeding mom in Texas knows exactly what going to happen if she feeds in a public pool... in TEXAS. How could she be shocked? I stand by my statement. I think she was asking for it - was WANTING it. She was probably sick and tired of the routine and decided to shake it up. IMO, my story is more believable than the one where people are shocked that Texas would show outrage when faced with a boob.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 13, 2019 04:45PM
hal
You DO realize that every breastfeeding mom carries a little blanket around with her - right?

Says the expert on breast feeding. How about considering that your statement is patently false, not every mom has such a blanket with them, or has one that is usable at all times.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 13, 2019 04:46PM
hal
deckeda
hal

You DO realize that every breastfeeding mom carries a little blanket around with her - right? Of course there was a lot of conjecture. Note that I didn't say that there was anything wrong with breast feeding... Every breast feeding mom in Texas knows exactly what going to happen if she feeds in a public pool... in TEXAS. How could she be shocked? I stand by my statement. I think she was asking for it - was WANTING it. She was probably sick and tired of the routine and decided to shake it up. IMO, my story is more believable than the one where people are shocked that Texas would show outrage when faced with a boob.

hal, good luck with that.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: max
Date: June 13, 2019 05:03PM
JoeH
hal
You DO realize that every breastfeeding mom carries a little blanket around with her - right?

Says the expert on breast feeding. How about considering that your statement is patently false, not every mom has such a blanket with them, or has one that is usable at all times.

Whoooosh does not describe the extent of you missing hal's sarcasm,
even if you were standing on a 12 foot ladder on top of Annapurna....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 333
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018