advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Family Op" begins Sunday morning
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 21, 2019 01:10PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

President Trump has directed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents to conduct a mass roundup of migrant families that have received deportation orders, an operation that is likely to begin with predawn raids in major U.S. cities on Sunday, according to three U.S. officials with knowledge of the plans.

The “family op,” as it is referred to at ICE and the Department of Homeland Security, is slated to target up to 2,000 families facing deportation orders in as many as 10 U.S. cities, including Houston, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles and other major immigration destinations, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the law enforcement operation.

Are they going to hit churches too? It's Sunday morning, after all.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Family Op" begins Sunday morning
Posted by: timg
Date: June 21, 2019 01:35PM
not many churches open before dawn, so my guess is no.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 21, 2019 01:36PM
Maybe a few agents will call in sick on Sunday …

When will we see some "Family Ops" beginning on the Trumps?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 21, 2019 01:53PM
bfd

He'll be self-deporting to Brazil as soon as he loses executive privilege.

Date: June 21, 2019 02:11PM
Sarcany
bfd

He'll be self-deporting to Brazil as soon as he loses executive privilege.

I can imagine Nancy Pelosi waiting for him at the airport, with handcuffs. "Not so fast big fella."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 02:19PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: June 21, 2019 02:18PM
This part:

Trump has been determined to go forward with the family operation after tweeting Monday that the immigration raids were coming “next week” as a first step toward his pledge for “millions” of deportations. The White House has been in direct communication with acting ICE director Mark Morgan and other ICE officials, circumventing (acting DHS Sec) McAleenan, three officials said.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 21, 2019 02:23PM
There will be a Saturday rush on U-Hauls.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 21, 2019 02:27PM
“Family Op”. 2,000 families. Predawn raids terrifying families, children, many fleeing terror not dissimilar to what they are about to experience.

Like so much attached to tRump, his own cheap, papier-mâché knock off of something larger. His McDonald’s Happy Meal version of Kristallnacht. A shadow of the original, but still the inhumane, destructive reverberations of a twisted little man.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 02:29PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 21, 2019 02:32PM
I wonder how many innocent american citizens will wake up in el salvador wondering what happened.
Date: June 21, 2019 02:49PM
I know one couple who have "deportation orders." They are in their 50's and immigrated from Guatemala 27 years ago. Both have jobs, pay taxes and contribute a lot to their community. They have two adult children, both US citizens and college grads. After decades of living in peace, now they are being hassled by ICE. The man was told if he spent six months in a detention center, they would close the case. He did that. Now they are back saying both can be deported at any time. The wait list to get a free immigration attorney is years; their son is trying to get money together for an attorney.

It's pure evil. There is no justification for the US gov't to harass and threaten these people.

We should be spending time in Central America working with governments on solutions to social problems that make their countries unlivable to so many people. A preventative approach. But that lacks enough cruelty to hold Trump's attention.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 21, 2019 03:09PM
cattle cars are ready, your majesty
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 21, 2019 03:29PM
Local groups are mobilizing for the weekend, preparing for raids and getting the word out about immigrant rights, how to interact (and not) with ICE agents, etc. Undoubtedly some families are sheltering with sanctuary families, as some other immigrants have sought shelter in local churches.

We've been talking about this kind of moment for a long time - storm troopers are coming into neighborhoods to pull non-violent, non-felonious, peaceful families en masse from their homes and send them to detention and deportation.

Who will stand in the breach? Who will place their bodies between the police state and the defenseless, to materialize these xenophobic crimes through their suffering and blood?

Who will just stand by and watch the coverage, heads shaking and pities muttered, anguished tears and raging bellows sallowing in a pool of defeated detachment and pity?

Who will cheer on the hatred-fueled cleansing of the cityscape, eager to race back to a fictive past of mythic splendor?

That's one of the nice things about being white in America, I guess. You get choices.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 21, 2019 03:35PM
what are your plans rj?
Date: June 21, 2019 04:05PM
We're on a schedule right now to help receive migrants coming to the area by bus, orient them to the area, and connect them with host families - this pre-dates the anticipated raids, but folks are still arriving. Honestly, we're waiting to see what happens this weekend. People are prepared to respond to raid locations; at the very least, it's important for attention to be brought to bear and for everyone to be made aware of their rights.

Naturally, I wouldn't know about anyone planning to break laws or disrupt the lawful operation of federal agents. I would think anyone who did would be foolish to announce such in a public forum.

rj
AKA
Date: June 21, 2019 04:13PM
LD is right - this really is pure evil. It's harder than it seems to stand up to it, and deciding what I'm willing to sacrifice in order to do it is a constant negotiation.

I am willing to be arrested, if that would serve a valuable purpose.

I think I am willing to share physical abuse to spare another from it, but that is nearly impossible to test.

I don't know if I'd be willing to sacrifice my freedom (via long prison sentence, or exile).

Right now I'm trying to stay engaged, humble, attentive, and available. It's not easy (and I'm not good at it)!

rj
AKA
Date: June 21, 2019 04:43PM
When Trump was elected I shifted my charitable giving away from some arts groups and to local immigrants rights groups. I currently financially support:
Northwest Immigrants Right Project
Casa Latina (more focused on worker's rights)
El Centro de la Raza
Refugee Women's Alliance
St James Immigrant Assistance

At my job we've developed some new policies and procedures to ensure that families feel safe having their children in our programs - immigrant families are sometimes reluctant to enroll their kids in things for fear that the government can access their address and other personal information - we've assured people that we would never provide this info to any agency. I can't blame their lack of trust, I would feel the same way.

I'm proud to live in a sanctuary city and to support those policies. The federal government exaggerates the level of risk to employers and everyday citizens in resisting these actions, so that people will be afraid. Everyone should resist, in whatever way they can. The risk to US citizens is really low but the impact on these families is devastating.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 21, 2019 05:00PM
Living his father Fred's dream, "One day son, you'll evict 11 million of those racially inferior people."

(The bigot's paradise)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 22, 2019 01:47PM
Noche de Cristal could be an appropriate name for moving all these families to concentration camps.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 22, 2019 02:36PM
Local news has been broadcasting a message that you don't have to open your door for ICE without them first producing a warrant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 02:36PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 22, 2019 03:08PM
Do the D.C. news broadcasts have high ratings in Baltimore, and do they have those messages on the SAP channel? Otherwise it's just a publicity stunt, though it could make a point if the sewage stained orange traffic cone in chief watches the local news.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 22, 2019 03:45PM
[www.vox.com]

J/K

The publicity Trump has given to the operations will likely cause some undocumented immigrants who have received deportation orders and are living in affected cities to go underground. But ICE believed agents would have been able to arrest others who weren’t necessarily targets that were happened upon during the operation.

Acting DHS Secretary Kevin McAleenan has also reportedly pushed back on the large-scale “family op,” advocating a much more limited plan that would target approximately 150 families, per the Post.

It could well be that the president is buying time to gather more intelligence; he could also truly hope the pressure will force Congress into a success that has long eluded it. More will become clear in two weeks’ time, after the president’s deadline for a border and asylum deal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018