AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Guardian propaganda picture of the week
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 22, 2019 10:44PM
evil joos
oppressed pal
the guardian propaganda
what do you see when they present this picture? Why?

A Palestinian man on crutches watches as an Israeli military vehicle drives near the fence along the border with Israel.
Photograph: Mohammed Abed/AFP/Getty Images
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Guardian propaganda picture of the week
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 23, 2019 10:14AM
Propaganda is information that is not objective and is used primarily to influence an audience and further an agenda, often by presenting facts selectively to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is presented.

The photo could well be called propaganda but I'm wondering if the posting of selective images to produce a response might also be termed propaganda. How often do you post images from a different perspective to show that all sides do this. The images are out there.

Paul

Date: June 23, 2019 12:10PM
The Guardian has the annoying habit of never showing anything portraying Jewish Israelis as human, let alone under potential threat by Muslim antagonists.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 23, 2019 12:34PM
Steve G.
The Guardian has the annoying habit of never showing anything portraying Jewish Israelis as human, let alone under potential threat by Muslim antagonists.

As you continually point out. Why do you constantly go there when it seems to upset you so much? Seems to be like self flagellation, is it a penance?

Paul

Date: June 23, 2019 12:58PM
I read any number of sources, some for their take on individual stories, their overall coverage, their pet grinds, some (like Very Orthodox Jewish weeklies) for their strange, barely believable take on political and life issues.

The Daily Telegraph in Britain also publishes Palestine-Propaganda photos. I can start posting a few of those as they occur if you wish. I also read Middle eastern sources as well. It's just to satisfy my curiosity and amazement at how events and policies get mangled into other-worldy configurations while posing as news and opinion. I generally try to avoid CNN and Fox, whose treatment is fumbling and clownish outside of a brief, straight repetition of facts in some news stories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 12:59PM by Steve G..
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 23, 2019 01:38PM
...and yet there are fences in the occupied territories, patrolled by IDF military vehicles. That the guy is on crutches is neither here nor there, I think.
Date: June 23, 2019 01:52PM
pdq
That the guy is on crutches is neither here nor there, I think.

and yet, he IS there, opposite the vehicle on the border. Why did The Guardian post that photo if it wasn't to perpetuate their 'poor innocent Palestinian injured by the Evil Joos' propaganda line?

It should be noted that this is from The Guardian's '20 Best Photos of the Week', so they are doing a formal big push on this one.
[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 02:09PM by Steve G..
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 23, 2019 03:20PM
The same picture could be taken today at the border between the US and Mexico… same gimpy refugee, same military vehicle… but there's a bit of a difference in the juxtaposition.
Posted by: max
Date: June 23, 2019 08:17PM
voodoopenguin
As you continually point out. Why do you constantly go there when it seems to upset you so much? Seems to be like self flagellation, is it a penance?

Paul

SteveG's version is a kvetch...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018