advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Kamala Harris - bad move
Posted by: timg
Date: June 28, 2019 06:41PM
At the debate last night, Kamala Harris had a pretty powerful run at Joe Biden with the whole "I was that little girl" busing thing, but she, or her campaign, made huge tactical mistake with the twitter post post debate and the t-shirts today.

Instead of coming out looking good, she looks cold and calculating. Thoughts?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kamala Harris - bad move
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 28, 2019 06:53PM
timg
...and the t-shirts today.

Link please.
Posted by: timg
Date: June 28, 2019 06:55PM
DeusxMac
timg

Link please.
[store.kamalaharris.org]

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 28, 2019 06:56PM
DeusxMac
timg

Link please.

Even though it is the anniversary of Stonewall, I'd still not feel right about wearing a t-shirt that reads "I was that little girl"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 28, 2019 07:13PM
Awesome t-shirt, I ordered two.

So women leaders who prepare strategically are "cold and calculating?" I see.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 28, 2019 07:50PM
Lemon Drop

So women leaders are never "cold a and calculating"? Is that it?
Posted by: max
Date: June 28, 2019 08:22PM
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop

So women leaders are never "cold a and calculating"? Is that it?

Are you calling her a cold fish, DeusxMac?....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: August West
Date: June 28, 2019 09:05PM

+1

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: space-time
Date: June 28, 2019 09:25PM
Instead of coming out looking good, she looks cold and calculating. Thoughts?

No, it is not calculated. They seized the opportunity.

Tee is available for pre-order to begin shipping on Jul. 11.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 28, 2019 10:20PM
I'm unhappy that her introductory statements leading into the busing criticism included a lie mischaracterizing Biden's statements regarding segregationist politicians.

In respect of the busing, that was probably a fair dig. He should acknowledge that he was wrong and apologize for it. It's notable that the position of the democratic party was against busing at the time.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 28, 2019 11:01PM
Sarcany
I'm unhappy that her introductory statements leading into the busing criticism included a lie mischaracterizing Biden's statements regarding segregationist politicians.

In respect of the busing, that was probably a fair dig. He should acknowledge that he was wrong and apologize for it. It's notable that the position of the democratic party was against busing at the time.
Doing a little digging, I’m seeing the busing point as one that would need a good amount historical framing to come to a fair assessment of how much his position and the arrived at legislative position constituted necessary pragmatism versus lackadaisical political expediency.

For example, WaPo is reporting that at the time, Gallup polling showed that only 4% of whites and 9% of blacks considered busing as being the best implementation of integration. Obviously a vastly different constituent landscape to work in than in years since.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 28, 2019 11:13PM
"How a Young Joe Biden Turned Liberals Against Integration"

[www.politico.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: June 28, 2019 11:34PM
Is there any evidence that she has anything to do with those T-shirts? I don't have any preconceptions positive or negative...just want to know. The link to the t-shirt site goes to a company in Texas.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 11:37PM by davester.
Date: June 29, 2019 12:00AM
btfc
"How a Young Joe Biden Turned Liberals Against Integration"

[www.politico.com]

The article obviously professes it’s own editorial stance, but the details, to my reading, still do not cast Biden as capitulating to cowardice, but navigating an environment where, at that moment in history, only so much spadework could be done towards a larger victory before striking bedrock.

“But that year [1975], Biden sided with conservatives and sponsored a major anti-busing amendment. The fierce debate that followed not only fractured the Senate’s bloc of liberals, it also signified a more wide-ranging political phenomenon: As white voters around the country—especially in the North—objected to sweeping desegregation plans then coming into practice, liberal leaders retreated from robust integration policies.

Biden was at the forefront of this retreat: He had expressed support for integration and—more specifically—busing during his Senate campaign in 1972, but once elected, he discovered just how bitterly his white constituents opposed the method. In 1973 and 1974, Biden began voting for many of the Senate’s anti-busing bills, claiming that he favored school desegregation, but just objected to “forced busing.”

Then, as a court-ordered integration plan loomed over Wilmington, Delaware, in 1974, Biden’s constituents transformed their resistance to busing into an organized—and angry—opposition. So Biden transformed, too. That year, Joe Biden morphed into a leading anti-busing crusader—all the while continuing to insist that he supported the goal of school desegregation, he only opposed busing as the means to achieve that end.

This stance, which many of Biden’s liberal and moderate colleagues also held, was clever but disingenuous. It enabled Biden to choose votes over principles, while acting as if he was not doing so.

History has not been kind to the defenders of school busing. Indeed, busing was problematic—as it transported children long distances away from nearby schools. But to say most whites objected to busing because it was inconvenient would be wrong. The truth is that many of them were not comfortable with the racial change that busing brought.”
Date: June 29, 2019 12:11AM
davester
Is there any evidence that she has anything to do with those T-shirts? I don't have any preconceptions positive or negative...just want to know. The link to the t-shirt site goes to a company in Texas.
During an interview on CBS, the shirts were mentioned and, while it wasn’t precisely clear if she knew about the shirts, she is aware of the store and seemed to say it is part of her organization.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 29, 2019 02:10AM
Here's Vox's take on the Biden/Bussing issue:

"Joe Biden’s record on school desegregation busing, explained"

[www.vox.com]
Date: June 29, 2019 09:08AM
Blankity Blank
davester
During an interview on CBS, the shirts were mentioned and, while it wasn’t precisely clear if she knew about the shirts, she is aware of the store and seemed to say it is part of her organization.

Are folks unfamiliar with campaign websites? kamalaharris.org is the official campaign website for her 2020 presidential campaign. Many major candidates sell merchandise (hello, MAGA) because people love t shirts and buttons and it's a great way to promote. The store is part of her official campaign website. They are always operated by third party vendors.

Here are some other campaign stores if that is an unfamiliar concept:

[store.joebiden.com]

[shop.corybooker.com]

[jayinslee.com]

[store.peteforamerica.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 29, 2019 09:32AM
I actually thought “I was that little girl” was the weakest moment of Harris’ performance. So what if you were that little girl? That doesn’t explain why busing was or was not a good policy. With no details of why the busing was a benefit to that little girl, it was just a biographical anecdote.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 29, 2019 09:40AM
'cold and calculating'? It's tee shirt promoting a campaign line.

I think that Biden's good deeds, in speech and in votes over the past 40 years more than make up for any sins back in the Dark Ages. I believe that, ultimately, this will not help Harris.

here're the actual transgressors against America
Date: June 29, 2019 10:11AM
[www.youtube.com]

This was the moment, Aug. 2015, when Donald Trump cemented his rise to President. This exchange with Megyn Kelly.

Fox News moderators let him talk for 10 minutes during the debate, more than anyone else. He became the story for the next 15 months.

Every time for the past 30 years that the Democrats pick the "it's their turn" candidate or the "presumptive" nominee or the "early frontrunner", we lose.

I hope this time we let the primary voters decide, not the media and not the DNC. If the primary voters pick Biden following a fair and thorough look at other candidates, fine. I hope we pick the person who excites and inspires the most people, so they will turn out to vote and produce a victory against Trump.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 29, 2019 11:26AM
It’s called planning. She knew she’d be delivering that attack on Biden and prepped shirts? So what? Everyone’s looking for something resonates. As for picking apart his Senatorial votes back in the ‘70s I’m way beyond over it.

At this point I’m cool with whomever presents best on TV and in media clips. That’s what voters have long favored: entertainers and so-called “tell it like it is” people, if we’re predicting “electability.” Maybe the Biden image from The Onion in an undershirt washing the TransAm in the White House driveway will come true.

Whoever gets the nomination will have to come out slugging with memorable lines. And if Democrats want to second-guess the party choice again with endless purity tests, they should shut the hell up when Trump gets re-elected by a landslide.
Posted by: August West
Date: June 29, 2019 11:41AM
Yeah, I have no idea why there is a kerfuffle over t-shirts, isn't that campaigning 101? Isn't 98% of a political campaign calculated? Also, I enjoyed the "That little girl was me" comment, calculated or not. It drew a line between policy and people in several ways, which I liked.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: June 29, 2019 12:02PM
From her response on CBS, my take was she was obviously aware of the store — she gave the url before she even addressed the question — but she either didn’t know for sure they were doing a t-shirt or just didn’t know it had been done that quickly.

And given the ‘Welcome to Photoshop!’ skill level evident in the picture initially on web site, the shirt was just the result of striking while the iron’s hot after a debate line gained a lot more traction than expected.

Tempest in a t-shirt cup.

And frankly, I like my politicians like I like my... politicians. Border collie smart and friendly on the outside, giant octopus cold and calculating on the inside. big grin smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 12:09PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 29, 2019 12:25PM
$tevie
I actually thought “I was that little girl” was the weakest moment of Harris’ performance. So what if you were that little girl? That doesn’t explain why busing was or was not a good policy. With no details of why the busing was a benefit to that little girl, it was just a biographical anecdote.

It was calculated and facile. However, it shows that she's competitive. I don't really put it on Joe because anyone with that many years of being a very active and involved politician is vulnerable to be cherry picked on. What he needs to do is not apologize for what he believed was a proper thing to do at that time. However, it's fine if he acknowledged in hindsight where he believe he erred.

He should not apologize for consorting with Dixiecrats. Reaching across lines is his strength and what he's best known and trusted for. lIt may be a tough sell in the primaries, but will prove valuable in the general.

Its going to be difficult for this primary season to not break down over purity issues.
Date: June 29, 2019 01:13PM
The odd, nearing bizarre, take I’m hearing some places is that those decades old actions, and his refusal to embrace them all now as grievous failings, regardless of context, are indicative of his viewpoint on race and policies today. An incredibly oversimplified stance to take, but it’s out there.

vision63
$tevie

It was calculated and facile. However, it shows that she's competitive. I don't really put it on Joe because anyone with that many years of being a very active and involved politician is vulnerable to be cherry picked on. What he needs to do is not apologize for what he believed was a proper thing to do at that time. However, it's fine if he acknowledged in hindsight where he believe he erred.

He should not apologize for consorting with Dixiecrats. Reaching across lines is his strength and what he's best known and trusted for. lIt may be a tough sell in the primaries, but will prove valuable in the general.

Its going to be difficult for this primary season to not break down over purity issues.
Date: June 29, 2019 01:21PM
Blankity Blank
The odd, nearing bizarre, take I’m hearing some places is that those decades old actions, and his refusal to embrace them all now as grievous failings, regardless of context, are indicative of his viewpoint on race and policies today. An incredibly oversimplified stance to take, but it’s out there.

vision63
$tevie

It'll pass. He can't erase the past. He's going to be attacked. It's an ideological dog fight happening right now. Kamala has had to defend herself vigorously over the past few months so her pre-game is strong and she can't afford to lose South Carolina. It's do or die. He tried to punch back with his awkward Public Defender statement. He missed. Republicans redefined John Kerry's entire life to the public so it's an effective strategy.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 29, 2019 03:19PM
vision63
Blankity Blank

vision63
$tevie

It'll pass. He can't erase the past. He's going to be attacked. It's an ideological dog fight happening right now. Kamala has had to defend herself vigorously over the past few months so her pre-game is strong and she can't afford to lose South Carolina. It's do or die. He tried to punch back with his awkward Public Defender statement. He missed. Republicans redefined John Kerry's entire life to the public so it's an effective strategy.

Her story was going to come out at some point that night. It was clearly framed, practiced, and ultimately delivered clearly and concisely. Now its up to Kamala to provide some backstory to the history if she wants it to stick. Was she conscious at the time that she was in the second class to be bused to another school? The times then were crazy as far as busing to achieve racial integration in public schools … in San Diego, kids were not bused because the segregation was not intentional and facilities were essentially equal. However, segregation was still found to exist in San Diego schools as late as 1975…

For those interested at all in the history of this - at that time in history - in one small corner of the country [oac.cdlib.org]

What's important is that people and parents DID more than complain, they tried to get the legal system to remedy the problem. Kari Carlin, a white student (and her parents) sued the district. But a conflict between state and federal law prevented their case from moving forward. This conflict is essentially what Kamala and Joe are referencing in their remarks.

San Diego city school segregation was not deliberate, it was the result of housing patterns. Federal law stipulated that segregation was illegal, but California law maintained that as long as segregation was not intentional and facilities were equal, de facto segregation was not unlawful. The decision to continue the Carlin case rested on the outcome of Crawford v. Los Angeles Board of Education. In 1976, the California Supreme Court ruled that segregation, "regardless of its cause," must be rectified, thus making San Diego's segregation illegal.

This began 20 years or more of Voluntary Ethnic Enrollment Program (VEEP). That's when the buses really started rolling around town. The bus riders were known as "Veeps" - which was shameful. A miniscule number of kids from white neighborhoods rode buses, VEEP was primarily a one-way integration model.

50 years later, the program is no more, and integration is achieved mainly through Magnet Schools. They are somewhat successful, but many minority students can still be seen regularly heading north on buses to school, early in the morning, even now in 2019. However, what's different now is that they are making a choice. It's not being made for them.

Sen. Harris knows all of this, the Carlin case is a bedrock of California legal history on this issue, but it never really came out. Obviously, there's no time in a debate for this, but there's been time since then. VP Biden also knows this, but his fumbled response - this all happened over 50 years ago - made it unclear why his position then was what it was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 03:21PM by bfd.
Date: June 29, 2019 03:47PM
His past is not Biden's problem, it's the way he's talking right now, in 2019. Nobody forced him to bring up being cozy with James Eastland, or to express support for the Hyde Amendment and then waffle to the point that it seems he doesn't know what he's talking about, or to pull a Mitt Romney and tell wealthy donors at a fundraiser that "nothing would fundamentally change" if he's elected. Kamala Harris didn't create any of those story lines, Joe Biden did. Just in the past few months.

Biden is the nostalgia candidate and while he may think his presence brings back memories of Obama, his recent words are bringing back memories of segregation and days when white men went behind closed doors and made decisions that were detrimental to women and minorities.
Date: June 29, 2019 04:28PM
Lemon Drop
His past is not Biden's problem, it's the way he's talking right now, in 2019. Nobody forced him to bring up being cozy with James Eastland, or to express support for the Hyde Amendment and then waffle to the point that it seems he doesn't know what he's talking about, or to pull a Mitt Romney and tell wealthy donors at a fundraiser that "nothing would fundamentally change" if he's elected. Kamala Harris didn't create any of those story lines, Joe Biden did. Just in the past few months.

Biden is the nostalgia candidate and while he may think his presence brings back memories of Obama, his recent words are bringing back memories of segregation and days when white men went behind closed doors and made decisions that were detrimental to women and minorities.

He lacks modern message discipline. He is a nostalgia candidate. Bernie is a nostalgia candidate too, he's just slicker. Biden's formative years are from the days when Thomas Eagleton's acknowledgement of depression was a major scandal. Politicians weren't trying to kneecap one another openly. As awful as many of them were, they clung to the system and admired it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that by and large. Our country is nostalgic. That's why Trump is president. Even Bernie Quixote would do the right things as president while tilting at his windmills because these guys are expert legislators that wouldn't waste time.
Date: June 29, 2019 04:39PM
bfd
vision63
Blankity Blank

vision63
$tevie

Her story was going to come out at some point that night. It was clearly framed, practiced, and ultimately delivered clearly and concisely. Now its up to Kamala to provide some backstory to the history if she wants it to stick. Was she conscious at the time that she was in the second class to be bused to another school? The times then were crazy as far as busing to achieve racial integration in public schools … in San Diego, kids were not bused because the segregation was not intentional and facilities were essentially equal. However, segregation was still found to exist in San Diego schools as late as 1975…

For those interested at all in the history of this - at that time in history - in one small corner of the country [oac.cdlib.org]

What's important is that people and parents DID more than complain, they tried to get the legal system to remedy the problem. Kari Carlin, a white student (and her parents) sued the district. But a conflict between state and federal law prevented their case from moving forward. This conflict is essentially what Kamala and Joe are referencing in their remarks.

San Diego city school segregation was not deliberate, it was the result of housing patterns. Federal law stipulated that segregation was illegal, but California law maintained that as long as segregation was not intentional and facilities were equal, de facto segregation was not unlawful. The decision to continue the Carlin case rested on the outcome of Crawford v. Los Angeles Board of Education. In 1976, the California Supreme Court ruled that segregation, "regardless of its cause," must be rectified, thus making San Diego's segregation illegal.

This began 20 years or more of Voluntary Ethnic Enrollment Program (VEEP). That's when the buses really started rolling around town. The bus riders were known as "Veeps" - which was shameful. A miniscule number of kids from white neighborhoods rode buses, VEEP was primarily a one-way integration model.

50 years later, the program is no more, and integration is achieved mainly through Magnet Schools. They are somewhat successful, but many minority students can still be seen regularly heading north on buses to school, early in the morning, even now in 2019. However, what's different now is that they are making a choice. It's not being made for them.

Sen. Harris knows all of this, the Carlin case is a bedrock of California legal history on this issue, but it never really came out. Obviously, there's no time in a debate for this, but there's been time since then. VP Biden also knows this, but his fumbled response - this all happened over 50 years ago - made it unclear why his position then was what it was.

This is a good assessment of just the tip of the iceberg of an issue that tore this country apart. Do we really want to resurrect white flight and it's awful consequences. Cities like Detroit were nearly destroyed. It's a dangerous road to travel just to score some points. We're still in the middle of trying to work all of this out. All of that was just a few years from the Civil Rights Act and 400 years of oppression wasn't and isn't going to be resolve overnight

We try to apply our remedies and too often misfire, which generates backlash and misunderstandings. We heal mostly in my opinion when we leave things alone for the most part. Notice how white people back then always made an exception for the Black people they worked with? Working together is the best way to homogenize people. Too many white people didn't like affirmative action but it was the best way to create integration in this country. It was working.
Date: June 29, 2019 05:01PM
Her story was going to come out at some point that night. It was clearly framed, practiced, and ultimately delivered clearly and concisely. Now its up to Kamala to provide some backstory to the history if she wants it to stick. Was she conscious at the time that she was in the second class to be bused to another school? The times then were crazy as far as busing to achieve racial integration in public schools

Her "story" is factually correct.

Facts First: Harris was indeed part of the second integrated class at Berkeley's Thousand Oaks Elementary School: she entered school in 1969, and the plan to desegregate the school was implemented in 1968.

"Thousand Oaks Elementary, along with all Berkeley public elementary schools, were integrated through a two-way busing plan, beginning in 1968, so Senator Harris is correct in describing her experience in 1969 as the second year of the busing integration program," Natasha Beery, director of community relations for the Berkeley Unified School District, said in an email on Friday.

[amp.cnn.com]

When I entered the first grade in South Carolina in 1968, it was the first year my school district was integrated. It made an impression on my then and I remember it well to this day. This were pivotal moments in our nation's history and they had a lot of impact on the people involved. You don't forget. And you don't forget who was on the right side of that history.
Date: June 29, 2019 05:48PM
Lemon Drop
Her story was going to come out at some point that night. It was clearly framed, practiced, and ultimately delivered clearly and concisely. Now its up to Kamala to provide some backstory to the history if she wants it to stick. Was she conscious at the time that she was in the second class to be bused to another school? The times then were crazy as far as busing to achieve racial integration in public schools

Facts First: Harris was indeed part of the second integrated class at Berkeley's Thousand Oaks Elementary School: she entered school in 1969, and the plan to desegregate the school was implemented in 1968.

"Thousand Oaks Elementary, along with all Berkeley public elementary schools, were integrated through a two-way busing plan, beginning in 1968, so Senator Harris is correct in describing her experience in 1969 as the second year of the busing integration program," Natasha Beery, director of community relations for the Berkeley Unified School District, said in an email on Friday.

[amp.cnn.com]

When I entered the first grade in South Carolina in 1968, it was the first year my school district was integrated. It made an impression on my then and I remember it well to this day. This were pivotal moments in our nation's history and they had a lot of impact on the people involved. You don't forget. And you don't forget who was on the right side of that history.

I don't know if I knew you were from South Carolina! I love that state.

I'm very familiar with Kamala's history and knew of her early experiences. Berkeley is a great place and sought to tackle these issues earlier than most other places. They only have and had the one high school and it was always integrated. So were the Junior High Schools (I believe). The elementary school on the southwest side, where Black people lived was segregated. They argued mightily over that and then just decided to do it. Successfully. Davester is from there. I spend a lot time in that city.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 29, 2019 08:20PM
vision63
$tevie

I don't think Biden knows how to explain his past positions in a way that will placate contemporary voters. Old folks who remember how Congress used to work can kind of understand, but there's a few generations who grew up with the idea that you take a position and never sway, never bend, and if the country goes to hell that's okay as long as you don't change your position. And to them, what Biden did is inconceivable and unforgivable. Sadly, Biden needs to have an interpreter stand next to him and explain what he is trying to convey.

Date: June 30, 2019 09:53AM
vision63
Lemon Drop

[amp.cnn.com]

I don't know if I knew you were from South Carolina! I love that state.

I'm very familiar with Kamala's history and knew of her early experiences. Berkeley is a great place and sought to tackle these issues earlier than most other places. They only have and had the one high school and it was always integrated. So were the Junior High Schools (I believe). The elementary school on the southwest side, where Black people lived was segregated. They argued mightily over that and then just decided to do it. Successfully. Davester is from there. I spend a lot time in that city.

Yes born and raised. Extended family still there. That's how I met the artist Ment Nelson. He's from Varnville but he had a booth with some of his art in Charleston and I fell in love with that portrait of Stacey. I'll be back in the Lowcountry this fall, cannot wait.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018