Posted by: hal
Date: July 02, 2019 02:32PM
[www.nbcnews.com]

this is fine...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: We now have pictures of the child concentration camps
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 02, 2019 02:41PM
Can't imagine the stench, the temperature, the stench, the horror. We demand better treatment for livestock than this. This is the legacy of the policies of the 21st Century Republicans and one Donald J Trump in particular… and where is the opposition? So are they any better?
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 02, 2019 03:05PM
As horrible as this might be, they DIDN'T have to come here (ILLEGALLY no less). Make sure these pictures are distributed south of our border; maybe they'll stay home. The United States accepts many LEGAL immigrants every year so, don't cry to me that we need to accept even more. angry villagers smiley

Let the flames begin.........
Date: July 02, 2019 03:20PM
testcase
As horrible as this might be, they DIDN'T have to come here (ILLEGALLY no less).

How do you know? It's not illegal to come to the border and ask for asylum. Those families are being broken up too.

These kids should have just stayed home when their parents left for the USA??? How does that work?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 02, 2019 03:22PM
testcase
As horrible as this might be, they DIDN'T have to come here (ILLEGALLY no less). Make sure these pictures are distributed south of our border; maybe they'll stay home. The United States accepts many LEGAL immigrants every year so, don't cry to me that we need to accept even more. angry villagers smiley

Let the flames begin.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 03:23PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 02, 2019 03:26PM
The opposition lost the presidential election and doesn’t control the Senate. That’s where they are: didn’t cause this; can’t stop it.

They come because conditions where they’re from are horrible, and don’t have reason to feel as if cattle get it better here. testcase, you’re both OK with what conservatives have created and refuse to fix, and yet somehow it’s the refugees who are the problem. Sleep well, much?

There are ways to spend money and resources to handle refugees so that they’re processed in a timely way that doesn’t involve mass incarceration for months at a time. I’ve read of NO Republican that wants to handle this humanely and efficiently. This is a crisis Trump and his advisors created. It’s on him.

When you read why Democrats call Republicans “racist” and yet you think, “dammit, I’M not racist!” Take another look at who’s getting a free pass here: Trump, Republicans, and you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 03:30PM by deckeda.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 02, 2019 03:35PM
If only the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress, the presidency and the SCOTUS they could take care of the immigration issue in two months.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 02, 2019 03:35PM
testcase

I agree completely.
Come on board legally, I have no problem.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 02, 2019 03:45PM
DinerDave
testcase

I agree completely.

Dave

our government is breaking a lot of laws (both domestic and international) by holding people in these types of conditions

you're OK with that lawbreaking?
Date: July 02, 2019 03:54PM
Finally.
[oversight.house.gov]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 02, 2019 03:55PM
The Republican Party is in league with him to commit these crimes.

Trump and the GOP are trying to destroy America.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 03:55PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 02, 2019 04:25PM
The immigration issue is largely a creation of the US. It goes back decades to when the US began wholesale deportations of gang members rather than incarcerate them. They were sent back to countries woefully ill-prepared to deal with these criminals. It quickly grew into the gang run landscape that today's defines El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala. That morphed into a drug channel back to the US, further creating issues. Just as those governments started to gain a beginning of some control with assistance from the US, our government pulled funding.

People in those countries are afraid of the gangs who shake down entire neighborhoods for protection. The government are short on funds and many government workers, particularly police, go months without pay. I personally know a police detective who has not been paid once this year.

The cauldron is starting to boil and street demonstrations are becoming quite common - I know because I am here.

People want a safe life, they don't care that it may get them confined. Even that is better than what they face in their home country. Yes, they had a choice and chose to cross illegally - given the choice, I'm better most here would too.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 02, 2019 04:27PM
Think of all the European Jews who were denied entry during WW2 when seeking asylum from the Nazis.

Jared Kushner sure doesn't.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 02, 2019 04:59PM
Adam Ruins Everything, season one, episode 18 “Adam Ruins Immigration” has a good take on the problem.

Adam elucidates how increasing national border security does not deter illegal immigration, how the immigration courts are severely broken, and explores America's history with mass deportation.

=wr=
Date: July 02, 2019 05:14PM
even worse photos: from reporter Gadi Schwartz:
[twitter.com]

Lot to unpack in these photographs dated 6/10/19 at the Border Patrol Station in McAllen TX. In this picture small children are being detained with a large group of what appears to be mostly men

88 men in a cell with a capacity of 41. In this photograph dated 6/12/19 a man holds a sign with what appear to be the words: HELP 40 day here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 05:15PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: July 02, 2019 05:22PM
and more details of lawbreaking by our government:

Inspector General's office finds:

IG review finds out of the 8,000 detainees in Border Patrol custody during their visit, 3400 had been held for longer than the 72 hours permitted. 1500 had been held for longer than 10 days

31% of the 2,669 children being housed during IG RGV inspection in June had been held longer than 72 hours.

That’s over 800 children. According to the IG report, 50
of those kids were under 7yrs old, without their parents... and had been held for over 2 weeks.

Inspector General calls the situation a "ticking time bomb."

[twitter.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 02, 2019 06:08PM
I'm waiting for the 'compassionate conservatives' to step up. What about the 'True Christians?'

I do not care who you are, these conditions are appalling.

testcase, DinerDave - I have no words for you except that I bet you have parents/grandparents that came to this country fleeing for their lives.
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 02, 2019 06:18PM
sekker
testcase, DinerDave - I have no words for you except that I bet you have parents/grandparents that came to this country fleeing for their lives.

Everyone would benefit from studying a little family genealogy -- the real stories, not the fairy tales many told to cover up how they really got here.
Date: July 02, 2019 06:23PM
sekker

....testcase, DinerDave - I have no words for you except that I bet you have parents/grandparents that came to this country fleeing for their lives.

It's far easier to believe all success is earned and that victims are to blame for their fate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 02, 2019 06:33PM
sekker

Not disagreeing with your conclusions, but those circumstances could be historical apples vs. current oranges. Example:

- One side of my family came here in the 1840s: U.S. population = 20,000,000

- Other side came here in the 1920's: U.S. population = 114,000,000 (almost six times the population of the 1840s)

- 2019 U.S. population today = est. 328,000,000 (almost three times the population of the 1920s, and over sixteen times the population of the 1840s)

[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: July 02, 2019 06:41PM
DeusxMac
sekker

Not disagreeing with your conclusions, but those circumstances could be historical apples vs. current oranges. Example:

- Other side came here in the 1920's: U.S. population = 114,000,000 (almost six times the population of the 1840s)

- 2019 U.S. population today = est. 328,000,000 (almost three times the population of the 1920s, and over sixteen times the population of the 1840s)

Are you like Trump and saying there's no room?
[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: July 02, 2019 07:35PM
Dennis S
DeusxMac
sekker

[en.wikipedia.org]

Trump is temporary and insignificant side issue.
Malthus discussed these issues 221 years ago, and neither heartfelt gnashing of teeth nor simply ignoring them will make them go away.
Date: July 02, 2019 07:35PM
USA - FAIL

On the Fourth, fly your flags and grill your meat and then go right ahead and shoot those fireworks right up your arses.
Date: July 02, 2019 07:44PM
DeusxMac
Dennis S
DeusxMac
sekker

[en.wikipedia.org]

Malthus discussed these issues 221 years ago, and neither heartfelt gnashing of teeth nor simply ignoring them will make them go away.

We have a ton of open space. Also, I need them to work to pay my social security.

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 02, 2019 07:47PM
Lemon Drop
DinerDave
testcase

I agree completely.

Dave

our government is breaking a lot of laws (both domestic and international) by holding people in these types of conditions

No, I am against illegals getting things CITIZENS are eligible for. Come across the border?, Fine, prove you are doing something to be here LEGALLY, timeframes must be set.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: July 02, 2019 07:51PM
DinerDave
Lemon Drop
DinerDave
testcase

I agree completely.

Dave

No, I am against illegals getting things CITIZENS are eligible for. Come across the border?, Fine, prove you are doing something to be here LEGALLY, timeframes must be set.

Dave

You mean like due process, legal representation and no unlawful detention. Those are human rights. Check the 13th Amendment.

Date: July 02, 2019 07:57PM
Speedy
You mean like due process, legal representation and no unlawful detention. Those are human rights. Check the 13th Amendment.

Seems DinerDave is saying those things are only owed to citizens, therefore no immigrants should come here.

We're a far cry from decades ago, when you could easily get a visa, come here "unproven," then begin the process of naturalization.
Date: July 02, 2019 08:03PM
DeusxMac
Dennis S
DeusxMac
sekker

[en.wikipedia.org]

Malthus was a hack back then and even with a more populous nation today, his theory that the maths don't support feeding everyone are still @#$%&. We have the cash, the land, the tech and the resources to feed people. We CHOOSE not to do so.

America was formed by racist Europeans who govern by arms and we're still taking their policies and philosophies as truth.
Date: July 02, 2019 08:07PM
Speedy
We have a ton of open space.

...and plenty of clean air and water. All this "green tech" and "global warming" is just new age hogwash.

Don't wanta hear none of that Eeecology nonsense neither.

Keep in mind, a lot of that "open space" is open because no one can or wishes to live there.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: July 02, 2019 08:38PM
its @#$%& disgusting. @#$%& all the people who sit by and allow this to happen. @#$%& those @#$%&.
Date: July 02, 2019 08:39PM
Kraniac
its @#$%& disgusting. @#$%& all the people who sit by and allow this to happen. @#$%& those @#$%&.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 02, 2019 09:28PM
DinerDave
No, I am against illegals getting things CITIZENS are eligible for.

Oh!

Simple fix: Allow anyone entering this country to apply for and receive citizenship.

Posted by: davester
Date: July 02, 2019 09:32PM
DinerDave

Dave

You and the Trumpsters seem to be applying the same label (ILLEGALS) to refugees coming to the border seeking asylum through legal means as are commonly applied to those who cross the border and make their way into the country without trying to legalize their status. The vast majority of the people in the camps are those who come and surrender theirselves to authorities at the border seeking legal access. This means that labelling them all as "ILLEGALS" is simply racism with no context or basis in fact.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 02, 2019 10:38PM
I have zero patience for the people who call these people criminals. None. There is no comparison, and that is only a label by those using it feel better about the abominable treatment that we are inflicting upon them.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 02, 2019 11:28PM
If you or I lived under the extremely desperate social and economic conditions that most of these immigrants do, we would be hailed as heroes for leaving everything we have in order to find a better life for us and our families.

These immigrants don’t come here to freeload: they come in order to save their lives.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: July 03, 2019 08:42AM
mrbigstuff
I have zero patience for the people who call these people criminals. None. There is no comparison, and that is only a label by those using it feel better about the abominable treatment that we are inflicting upon them.

And yet, for policies and conditions WE ALONE create and control within our country, they, the "others," remain at fault.

It is bizarre, the rationalization of hate.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 03, 2019 08:58AM
Sarcany
DinerDave
No, I am against illegals getting things CITIZENS are eligible for.

Oh!

Simple fix: Allow anyone entering this country to apply for and receive citizenship.

But - but - but - but - when MY ancestors got citizenship, there was a lot of it left, like big piles of citizenship freshly mined from our virgin nation's abundance. So much, we could pass it on to our children like it was as natural as genetics itself. I'm sorry, but - it's just that as our country has grown, we've begun to run low on this precious national resource. The citizenship mines are spent, and efforts to discover new sources have been unsuccessful. There's lots of room, yes, and a great need for labor, but it just wouldn't be responsible to dip into our national reserves of citizenship right now. Once we have a handle on this pesky border problem, we can start talking about a different kind of arrangement, Perhaps a guest worker program, or selective indenture?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 03, 2019 09:21AM
There was plenty of room when my ancestors came over in the early 1700s. Thanks, Smallpox!
Date: July 03, 2019 09:56AM
rjmacs
Once we have a handle on this pesky border problem, we can start talking about a different kind of arrangement, Perhaps a guest worker program, or selective indenture?

And since indenture is such a risky venture, the value must be monetized for tax purposes. And when the terms of the agreement result in an obligation that can never be paid off, well whose fault is that? YOU should never have agreed to it. YOU should have known there would be a bubble/crash/whatever. YOUR lack of financial foresight not OUR fault! We are perfectly justified in imposing your unredeemed contract as an inheritance on your children in perpetuity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2019 09:56AM by Janit.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 03, 2019 10:22AM
ALL of my grandparents immigrated LEGALLY through Ellis Island before WWI. After her death, I learned that my paternal grandmother had to post a BOND (AFTER waiting in Ireland for her "turn" to come over) I forget if it was $300 or $500 but, if she couldn't support herself for ANY reason, the money would be there to care for her until she could be SENT BACK! After three years, the bond was released but, I'm told it was "rolled over" to allow another family member to immigrate (all my other grandparents came from Germany; I don't know if any of them had to post a bond). WHY can't we continue LEGAL immigration this way? Of course, they ALL had to learn to speak English. Why has THAT changed?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 03, 2019 10:41AM
testcase
ALL of my grandparents immigrated LEGALLY through Ellis Island before WWI. After her death, I learned that my paternal grandmother had to post a BOND (AFTER waiting in Ireland for her "turn" to come over) I forget if it was $300 or $500 but, if she couldn't support herself for ANY reason, the money would be there to care for her until she could be SENT BACK! After three years, the bond was released but, I'm told it was "rolled over" to allow another family member to immigrate (all my other grandparents came from Germany; I don't know if any of them had to post a bond). WHY can't we continue LEGAL immigration this way? Of course, they ALL had to learn to speak English. Why has THAT changed?

Because we're not discriminating against the Irish and Germans this year.

...and as time moved on they came up with other ways to punish people for wanting to save their families from poverty and genocide.

Date: July 03, 2019 10:45AM
... and also because it’s easier to mail “invoices” declaring fines up to $500K if they don’t leave. There’s MONEY to be made, son!
Date: July 03, 2019 11:07AM
DinerDave
Lemon Drop
DinerDave
testcase

I agree completely.

Dave

Dave

Dave, what are your reasons for wanting undocumented people living in the US to be denied certain things? Which things do you mean?

It's impossible to accurately measure both the revenues generated and the expenses of undocumented people because they operate more in the shadows. But about half are working with fake SSNs, meaning they pay those taxes but are ineligible for the benefits of ss payments or medicare. If all undocumented workers were deported now, the social security fund would have $13 billion less and Medicare would have $3 billion less. * They also pay sales and other taxes when they make purchases. They are not eligible for services like SNAP or cash assistance. They are not eligible for income tax credits, so they pay higher tax rates than other low income people.

They do get some health care, and all children living in the US can go to public school. While I would like a system that is more fair and acknowledges the contributions of people regardless of immigration status and allows them to live out of the shadows, I am not willing to live in a country that denies children the right to an education or won't give them vaccines or antibiotics. If you can't see it on the moral basis, think about the overall public good for society as a whole.

* [www.marketplace.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2019 11:07AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 03, 2019 12:02PM
DinerDave
testcase

I agree completely.

Dave

I don't agree with your premise that asylum seekers are doing something illegal but for the sake of argument let's say they are. I get the impression from both of you that the way these people are being treated is fine, maybe even preferable because it may discourage other people from Central America from trying to come to the US. Is that impression correct - do you think that keeping these people in terrible conditions is just fine?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 03, 2019 12:26PM
Ted King
DinerDave
testcase

I agree completely.

Dave

I don't agree with your premise that asylum seekers are doing something illegal but for the sake of argument let's say they are. I get the impression from both of you that the way these people are being treated is fine, maybe even preferable because it may discourage other people from Central America from trying to come to the US. Is that impression correct - do you think that keeping these people in terrible conditions is just fine?

Also, the "come here legally" trope sounds really tone deaf to anyone who understands the way our system selectively privileges wealthy and connected migrants who already have families with legal status in the U.S. It also erases U.S. history, where immigration policy began with the explicitly racist Page and Chinese Exclusion Acts in the 19th century and has reflected racist priorities favoring some immigrant groups over others since.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 03, 2019 01:19PM
and .... <crickets>
Date: July 03, 2019 04:00PM
From "Origins of the Federal Immigration Service"

[www.uscis.gov]

Beginning in 1893, Inspectors also served on Boards of Special Inquiry that closely reviewed each exclusion case. Inspectors often initially excluded aliens who were likely to become public charges because they lacked funds or had no friends or relatives nearby. In these cases, the Board of Special Inquiry usually admitted the alien if someone could post bond or one of the immigrant aid societies would accept responsibility for the alien.

Detention guards and matrons cared for detained persons pending decisions in their cases or, if the decision was negative, awaiting deportation. The Immigration Service deported aliens denied admission by the Board of Special Inquiry at the expense of the transportation company that brought them to the port.

Note that the grounds for requiring bond were rather non-specific, and subject to all sorts of prejudiced judgments based on stereotypes or ethnic animus.

I have looked at a lot of ships' manifests while doing family genealogy, and most steerage passengers were allowed straightforward admission. There are appendices to these manifests listing who was detained, why, for how long.
Date: July 03, 2019 06:51PM
account of a pediatrician who has been caring for infants and children in detention centers

[www.theatlantic.com]
Date: July 04, 2019 04:03PM
Lemon Drop
account of a pediatrician who has been caring for infants and children in detention centers

[www.theatlantic.com]

What is happening is just plain wrong. And those who allow it without at least raising their voices in shame are in tacit consent with it. If we can't trust a pediatrician for an objective first hand account, who are we waiting for?
Date: July 08, 2019 05:03PM
bfd
Lemon Drop

[www.theatlantic.com]

What is happening is just plain wrong. And those who allow it without at least raising their voices in shame are in tacit consent with it. If we can't trust a pediatrician for an objective first hand account, who are we waiting for?

A republican pediatrician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018