advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Anyone else tired of AOC?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 06, 2019 07:31AM
I get that she is a potentially rising political star, but she is also a freshman representative with less than a year of elected experience. I am tired of hearing her thoughts on every single blessed item that comes along. Besides soundbites, has she truly accomplished anything of substance?

I am quite capable of deciding if toilet paper rolls over or under without input from Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone else tired of AOC?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 06, 2019 08:17AM
I’m happy to be reminded that she exists

Posted by: pdq
Date: July 06, 2019 08:28AM
Nope. Not yet.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: July 06, 2019 08:49AM
If you don't follow her on Twitter, how is it that you hear her thoughts on everything? Is it that the news you watch regularly quotes her? Perhaps that's the real problem. I seldom see her quoted in the newspaper, nor do I hear sound bites on NPR.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 06, 2019 09:18AM
I was.

I was sick of all the breathless headlines about her schooling this person or owning that person or embarrassing some other person. Hello? Newbie? I get it. Rookie hotshot. Fairytale rise to the big stage. But let’s slow the roll, kid’s got a lot to learn. She’s got moxie, but a little goes a long way.

Then I shut up. I listened to her.

Well @#$%& me. She’s the genuine article.

She’s not just a clever snark here or there. She’s not ‘a cute little firebrand’. When this woman (She’s pushing thirty. Kids in high school are already getting ready to call her “ma’am”. big grin smiley ) comes at you, she’s throwing heat. She’s crossed her ‘t’s and dotted her ‘i’s. She’s not spunky, she’s just not afraid of you or the horse you rode in on.

Yeah, so far she’s only talked the talk. There’s no guarantee she can follow through. But I’m liking what I see so far. I’m seeing flashes of the knife fighter in her. I’m not saying she’s the second coming, but I’ve stopped discounting her potential to leave her mark.

I do believe the lady is familiar with the sage advice, “If you come at the king, you best not miss”.

If only she smiled more...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 06, 2019 09:31AM
I like her if for no other reason than the right, especially including Faux News, absolutely despises her.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 06, 2019 09:36AM
Legions of congressional members over the years have either been “controversial,” “outspoken,” or ... so quiet you forget they’re in office. I don’t see the connection between any of that and bills they may or may not have participated in, voted or not voted for, nor much of anything else supposedly central to their job.

But if it’s “all just rhetoric” to you, try other news outlets. I have a subscription to WaPo and she’s not “there” so much unless she’s doing something like visit detention centers and letting the world know safety is sketchy even for elected officials ... or when she recently reached out to Cruz for a smart bipartisan idea.

Our country desperately needs a bit MORE of her youthful energy. I see her as changing it from within, and that’s truly the hard work.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 06, 2019 09:48AM
She's a freshman representative. The right wing media are those dwelling on her.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 06, 2019 10:13AM
Speaking of which ... Newt Gingrich just recently wrote an op-ed for Fox News online.

When AOC helped publicize conditions in detention centers last week, it “helped” him “to understand how profoundly vicious, cruel and dishonest she is.” He also alleged that Ocasio-Cortez “is eager and determined to undermine and destroy America as we have known it.”

So what would most politicos do? Ignore it? Respond in some sober tone that reiterated how serious the issue really is? Probably. And for what, the argument’s already been made.

No. You put on your big kid pants and tell Newt to get @#$%&.

“Ah yes, now Newt & the GOP are resorting to calling me a liar.

Who else do they call liars?
- 96% of scientists who agree on climate change
- Millions of Americans they locked up in the War on Drugs
- #MeToo survivors

So I’ll take it as a compliment. Thanks. ”

It’s all about credibility and seeing the bigger picture. You don’t take troll bait and re-argue the issue. You highlight how they are ridiculous and unworthy of faux debate.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 06, 2019 10:14AM
She's all over google news - especially if you don't block Fox. They seem to think that she runs the entire party along with Pelosi.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 06, 2019 10:14AM
Ombligo
Besides soundbites, has she truly accomplished anything of substance?

Yes.

She's changed the direction of the party, pulling the center left and bringing back social democrats. She's inspired many women and people of color to run for office which is already showing results at state and local levels and is likely to influence the presidential race.

She's pushed ideas for tax policy, civil rights, immigration and the Green New Deal which are now talking points for almost every democratic candidate for president.

She's drawing attention to the horror this administration has made of the immigration system and won't let it rest at a few headlines that people forget after a couple of days.

She's trying to fund relief for Puerto Rico which got less than 10% of the support promised after the island home of 4 million Americans was flattened by a hurricane.

She's asked tough and pointed questions in consumer protection and finance committees and started critical investigations in key areas of regulation that have been thwarted in the past by false reporting.

She's used her position on the oversight committee to draw attention to government abuses.

She has introduced legislation and co-sponsored 241 bills since she took office in many important areas including student debt relief, financial sector reforms, tax reforms, financial relief for the middle class, immigration reform, pharma reform, safe housing, voting and civil rights.

...No progressive bill arising in the House will pass this Senate. No democrat in the House is making major policy changes in the government right now and this will continue until the dems control the Senate.

The OP implies that she's not making change because she's young, female and outspoken. I think she's making great changes by being young, female and outspoken. She's not going to get legislation through the Senate. What more can she do?

Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 06, 2019 10:44AM
I think she’s great. In addition to the praises given above, I’d like to add that she willingly learns from her mistakes and quickly figured out how to make her points without trashing other members of her party. She’s great at deflecting stupid questions with meaningful responses. I think she should give lessons to the Democrats on how to handle the press.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 06, 2019 11:00AM
Joe Biden went after her last night, I wonder if that's what inspired the OP. Biden says the Democratic party now is him, not her. Called her "way left."

I think she's amazing; I'm expecting her to go on to a very long and distinguished career of public service. I agree with her on most things and appreciate her voice and leadership; we need her and more like her.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 06, 2019 11:19AM
She is the #1 enemy of the Republicans. Which is great.they can’t seem to go after anyone else.and she has NO Record to attack. It’s like they are attacking the Common Woman. Causing common folk to stop and think.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 06, 2019 11:32AM
We need 434 more like her.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 06, 2019 11:40AM
If you're curious... this is how many times her name appears at foxnews.com

[www.foxnews.com]

2318 result found...

2 stories dated today (july 6)

10 on july 5

1 on july 4

15 on july 3

31 on July 2

8 on july 1

CNN results found - 621
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 06, 2019 11:44AM
If you are looking at low level Democratic officeholders, Pete Buttigieg is smarter and more articulate than Cortez.
Her biggest accomplishment so far has been successfully fighting the Queens Democratic machine and its head Crowley.
She speaks nicely, but could be a lot better at framing her statements.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 06, 2019 12:15PM
All I care about is what's truthful and what's not truthful. What's real and what's not real. Anyone operating within those guidelines I make myself accept

AOC is learning where her power is and where it is not. However, her followers are even more rigid than tea partiers. she has to tread carefully and throw em some meat sometimes.

She's learned to tolerate the fact that moderate Democrats in conservative districts cant do and say what she can.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 06, 2019 01:15PM
vision63
All I care about is what's truthful and what's not truthful. What's real and what's not real. Anyone operating within those guidelines I make myself accept

AOC is learning where her power is and where it is not. However, her followers are even more rigid than tea partiers. she has to tread carefully and throw em some meat sometimes.

She's learned to tolerate the fact that moderate Democrats in conservative districts cant do and say what she can.

That's an important thing for her to realize and keep in mind.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 06, 2019 02:10PM
AOC is A-OK…
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 06, 2019 06:52PM
bfd
AOC is A-OK…

agree smiley

=wr=
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 06, 2019 08:36PM
I would say more than A-OK. She brings a fresh perspective and positive energy to the position, and this is needed to knock her colleagues out of their complacency.

Plus, she IS just so damned cute: [www.youtube.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 08:40PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 06, 2019 08:47PM
My uncle in Arkansas sent letters to all his reps about a concern and got no replies. He sent two letters to AOC after a friend suggested he should and got personal, non-canned, replies from her staff.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 06, 2019 11:57PM
I think she's smarter than the average Representative and as a recently elected one she's bound to be a little more responsive.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 07, 2019 03:21PM
She's awesome.

I'm tired of the Repubs who are obsessed with her, however.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 07, 2019 04:11PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I think she's smarter than the average Representative and as a recently elected one she's bound to be a little more responsive.

She's smarter than the Republicans.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 07, 2019 06:45PM
sekker
She's awesome.

I'm tired of the Repubs who are obsessed with her, however.
thumbs up

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 07, 2019 07:47PM
barf smiley

Too much love in this thread!

How much do you think Ombligo was paid by AOC's people for that provocative OP? devil smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018