advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Why would Barr allow the arrest of Epstein?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 07, 2019 02:09PM
Unless there is no connection with Trump, which I find hard to believe. Or maybe they're going after Bill Clinton. Anyway, after seeing how Barr jumped into the middle of the Trump/Mueller affair, this seems out of character.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why would Barr allow the arrest of Epstein?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 07, 2019 02:25PM
During Barr's confirmation hearings back in January Sen. Sasse asked him about this:
[www.c-span.org]

Although he wouldn't address it head-on citing a potential conflict with his law firm, Barr pledged to have the Department follow-up. I guess he has.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 07, 2019 03:10PM
because they are in the same disease family?

Epstein-Barr virus, is one of the most common human viruses in the world. It spreads primarily through saliva. Epstein-Barr causes infectious mononucleosis.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 07, 2019 03:52PM
Steve G.
because they are in the same disease family?

Epstein-Barr virus, is one of the most common human viruses in the world. It spreads primarily through saliva. Epstein-Barr causes infectious mononucleosis.

good one
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 07, 2019 04:09PM
AG Barr’s father hired Epstein to teach math and science in an elite prep school in NYC in the ‘60’s. A school that was all-girls but was transitioning to co-ed. Maybe a few of the girls were victims of Epstein so the AG recused himself.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 04:10PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 07, 2019 04:40PM
Speedy
Maybe a few of the girls were victims of Epstein so the AG recused himself.

The AG doesn't recuse himself just because of a few egregious conflicts of interest.

Date: July 07, 2019 04:56PM

she's heard about his friend Epstein
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 07, 2019 05:08PM
Not sure where you got your info Speedy...

Speedy
AG Barr’s father hired Epstein to teach math and science in an elite prep school in NYC in the ‘60’s..

Actually, he taught there only from 1973 - 1975. Epstein was born in 1953, so would have only been a pre-teen/teenager in the 60s.

Speedy
A school that was all-girls but was transitioning to co-ed. Maybe a few of the girls were victims of Epstein so the AG recused himself.

"The Dalton School, originally called the Children's University School, was founded... in 1919... expanding the population and resources of the school by promoting a merger between the Todhunter School for girls and Dalton in 1939."
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 07, 2019 05:13PM
Ugh, yes, not ‘60’s but ‘70’s. Thank you for correcting me. But did you know that there were airports in the 1770’s? I have that on good authority...

DeusxMac
Not sure where you got your info Speedy...

Speedy
AG Barr’s father hired Epstein to teach math and science in an elite prep school in NYC in the ‘60’s..

Actually, he taught there only from 1973 - 1975. Epstein was born in 1953, so would have only been a pre-teen/teenager in the 60s.

Speedy
A school that was all-girls but was transitioning to co-ed. Maybe a few of the girls were victims of Epstein so the AG recused himself.

"The Dalton School, originally called the Children's University School, was founded... in 1919... expanding the population and resources of the school by promoting a merger between the Todhunter School for girls and Dalton in 1939."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 05:14PM by Speedy.
Date: July 07, 2019 05:15PM
Donald Barr (father of William) was the headmaster of the Dalton school when Epstein taught Calculus and physics there in the mid-70s. Just a weird coincidence. Interestingly, Epstein never earned a college degree.

Here's a profile of him written before his dirty deeds emerged:
[nymag.com]
Date: July 07, 2019 06:36PM

Hey, who's that guy with Jeffrey Epstein?
(and why is he smiling?)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 07, 2019 06:44PM
"With Jeffrey Epstein locked up, these are nervous times for his friends, enablers"

Giuffre claims that Epstein used the modeling agency, Mc2, to lure underage girls and in court papers said Epstein “deliberately engaged in a pattern of racketeering that involved luring minor children through Mc2, mostly girls under the age of 17, to engage in sexual play for money.”

Brunel has denied these claims, and says that Epstein was not a business partner or investor in his modeling company.

But Epstein’s arrest could open a window to expose other influential people who knew about or participated in his crimes. The question is what evidence or information does Epstein have against them and how might he use it?
[www.miamiherald.com]

Date: July 07, 2019 06:48PM
I'm going to proffer the idea that -- as much as we would like it to be true -- Trump wasn't involved in the sex trafficking and maybe, just maybe, Barr thinks Epstein is disgusting.

Date: July 07, 2019 07:00PM
$tevie
...maybe, just maybe, Barr thinks Epstein is disgusting.

Well, he does have (at least) one daughter.
Date: July 07, 2019 07:24PM
$tevie
I'm going to proffer the idea that -- as much as we would like it to be true -- Trump wasn't involved in the sex trafficking and maybe, just maybe, Barr thinks Epstein is disgusting.

That rings true to me.
Date: July 07, 2019 07:25PM
$tevie

You missed the whole chapter in Drumpf's life around John Casablancas. Epstein was the lesser Casablancas that Drumpf went to when Casablancas had to flee the country to escape multiple rape and pedophilia charges.

Date: July 07, 2019 07:44PM
Sarcany
$tevie

You missed the whole chapter in Drumpf's life around John Casablancas. Epstein was the lesser Casablancas that Drumpf went to when Casablancas had to flee the country to escape multiple rape and pedophilia charges.

What's your source for that?
Date: July 07, 2019 07:50PM
Lemon Drop
Sarcany
$tevie

Do a Google search for "John Casablancas" and pedophile.

Drumpf was a regular at Casablancas' drug-fueled rape-parties, Casablancas provided Ivanka with her "modeling" career, and when Casablancas fled the country he took up residence at "Villa Trump" in Brazil where he was a member of the board.

Date: July 07, 2019 08:04PM
Sarcany
$tevie

I'm loathe to start believing things on the internet about this, because I spent years reading the EXACT same stories about Bill Clinton and Epstein and even Hillary Clinton and Epstein. Everyone knows someone who was raped by Epstein, Hillary, Bill, and/or Trump, maybe all at the same time. Sorry, I need to see some actual factual evidence and Google isn't giving it to me. The trial will [EDIT: MAYBE] so I am going to wait and see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 08:05PM by $tevie.
Date: July 07, 2019 08:24PM
Sarcany
Lemon Drop
Sarcany
$tevie

Do a Google search for "John Casablancas" and pedophile.

Drumpf was a regular at Casablancas' drug-fueled rape-parties, Casablancas provided Ivanka with her "modeling" career, and when Casablancas fled the country he took up residence at "Villa Trump" in Brazil where he was a member of the board.

I'm pretty sure Casablancas was never charged with anything. He did have well-known, public relationships with teenagers as young as 15 (that's not pedophilia). He retired from running a modeling agency in 2000 and moved to Miami and also had a home in Brazil, which is where he was receiving cancer treatment when he died in 2013. He had lifelong connections to Brazil and that was also the home of this third wife, and they had gotten married there.

"Villa Trump" in Brazil was never built. Casablancas did introduce some Brazilian real estate guy to Donald Trump and tried to get him to develop a luxury resort in Sao Paulo, but he never did.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 07, 2019 08:46PM
An intriguing trepidatious flow to this thread.
Date: July 07, 2019 09:05PM
$tevie
Sarcany
$tevie

I'm loathe to start believing things on the internet about this...

Many of the search results are news stories and interviews with his victims.

Lemon Drop
I'm pretty sure Casablancas was never charged with anything.

No. Charges were pending when he departed. The only case that I can recall being brought against him was civil for the rape and impregnation of a 15 year old. At the time, the newspapers just called it a "sex scandal." Different times.

Note that Trump Model Management was also under investigation for bringing in young women (some minors) from other countries as models and then renting them out as prostitutes. The investigation was still going on as late as 2017 when the agency shut down. Not much news since then from the NY AG.

Lemon Drop
He did have well-known, public relationships with teenagers as young as 15 (that's not pedophilia).

Several women claim to have been drugged and raped by him when they were 12 and 13 years old.

...Notable that one of the rape allegations against Trump was by a woman who was 13 years old at the time and working as a model for Jeffrey Epstein. She pulled her civil case against him 4 days before the election citing threats against her life.

Lemon Drop
He retired from running a modeling agency in 2000 and moved to Miami and also had a home in Brazil, which is where he was receiving cancer treatment when he died in 2013.

Yes, what a brilliant move. Away from the best cancer treatment centers in the world to a country known at the time for its nice beaches and for sheltering Nazis.

Lemon Drop
"Villa Trump" in Brazil was never built. Casablancas did introduce some Brazilian real estate guy to Donald Trump and tried to get him to develop a luxury resort in Sao Paulo, but he never did.

Sorry. He wasn't resident at "Villa Trump." He was on the board of directors for Trump's Brazil properties and lived in Trump's hotel in Rio for several years while ostensibly working on Villa Trump in São Paulo.

...You're allowed to form opinions about someone's patterns of behavior without having them first charged and convicted in a criminal court. Given the lack of law enforcement against wealthy white people, the court of opinion may be the only place they face consequences of any sort.

These are the people Trump associated with. These are the things he was accused of doing long before he came to national attention.

If you choose to excuse him from any wrongdoing because he has yet to be convicted in criminal court... Well, that's an interesting moral choice.

...I'd consider that a bit naive, and maybe harmful in the long run when it comes to American politics and social progress. But it's your prerogative.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 06:58AM by Sarcany.
Date: July 07, 2019 09:08PM
2010 deposition of Jeffrey Epstein:

“Q. Have you ever socialized with Donald Trump in the presence of females under the age of 18?

“A: Though I'd like to answer that question, at least today I'm going to have to assert my Fifth, Sixth, and 14th Amendment rights, sir.”

Posted by: bfd
Date: July 08, 2019 12:30AM
Here are the principals - and one unfortunate 11 year old … Melanomia?

Date: July 08, 2019 12:34AM
bunny smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 10:34AM by $tevie.
Date: July 08, 2019 02:07AM
$tevie
Sarcany
$tevie
Sarcany
$tevie

I'm loathe to start believing things on the internet about this...

Many of the search results are news stories and interviews with his victims.

Lemon Drop
I'm pretty sure Casablancas was never charged with anything.

No. Charges were pending when he departed. The only case that I can recall being brought against him was civil for the rape and impregnation of a 15 year old. At the time, the newspapers just called it a "sex scandal." Different times.

Note that Trump Model Management was also under investigation for bringing in young women (some minors) from other countries as models and then renting them out as prostitutes. The investigation was still going on as late as 2017 when the agency shut down. Not much news since then from the NY AG.

JaRedK
He did have well-known, public relationships with teenagers as young as 15 (that's not pedophilia).

Several women claim to have been drugged and raped by him when they were 12 and 13 years old.

...Notable that one of the rape allegations against Trump was by a woman who was 13 years old at the time and working as a model for Jeffrey Epstein. She pulled her civil case against him 4 days before the election citing threats against her life.

JaRedK
He retired from running a modeling agency in 2000 and moved to Miami and also had a home in Brazil, which is where he was receiving cancer treatment when he died in 2013.

Yes, what a brilliant move. Away from the best cancer treatment centers in the world to a country known at the time for its nice beaches and for sheltering Nazis.

JaRedK

Sorry. He wasn't resident at "Villa Trump." He was on the board of directors for Trump's Brazil properties and lived in Trump's hotel in Rio for several years while ostensibly working on Villa Trump in São Paulo.

...You're allowed to form opinions about someone's patterns of behavior without having them first charged and convicted in a criminal court. Given the lack of law enforcement against wealthy white people, the court of opinion may be the only place they face consequences of any sort.

These are the people Trump associated with. These are the things he was accused of doing long before he came to national attention.

If you choose to excuse him from any wrongdoing because he has yet to be convicted in criminal court... Well, that's an interesting moral choice.

...I'd consider that a bit naive, and maybe harmful in the long run when it comes to American politics and social progress. But it's your prerogative.
WTF? I never said any of that stuff.

I suspect cut and paste confusion citing multiple posters. The “... proffer the idea...” and “I’m loathe to start believing things on the internet about this...” quotes are yours, the others attributed to you come from, I believe, a post from Lemon Drop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 09:16AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 08, 2019 06:59AM
Think he'll make bail?
Date: July 08, 2019 06:59AM
$tevie
WTF? I never said any of that stuff.

SORRY!!

Yeah, I copy/pasted the wrong quote-headers.

I've fixed it in my original post, but unfortunately the error will persist in the quoted versions of that post unless you and Blankity Blank edit yours as well.

Date: July 08, 2019 09:17AM
Done. devil smiley
Date: July 08, 2019 11:08AM
Sarcany
..You're allowed to form opinions about someone's patterns of behavior without having them first charged and convicted in a criminal court. Given the lack of law enforcement against wealthy white people, the court of opinion may be the only place they face consequences of any sort.

But it's not cool to present those "opinions" as facts, particularly when they involve criminal charges and charges of such a serious nature. Even about a creepy @#$%& like John Casablancas.

I get that the goal is to tie Trump to as much bad behavior as possible, but making things up about him just lets him win. There are enough facts pointing to bad behavior, no need to make stuff up or spread unsubstantiated rumor.

Nope:
Sarcany

Trump's "hotel" in Rio opened (but was never actually completed) in 2016, in time for the Olympic games but THREE YEARS AFTER Casablancas died so pretty sure he never lived there. The thing was scandal ridden and Trump pulled out of the deal in Dec 2016. Quite a lot was published about that scandal after the election.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 08, 2019 12:12PM
bfd
Here are the principals - and one unfortunate 11 year old … Melanomia?

This photo pegs out the creep-o-meter scale…

=wr=
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 08, 2019 01:04PM
.....the District attorney's office announce what they found when they raided his East Side Mansion........in his safe.....pics.......names/contacts......CDs labeled '**** pics' etc.......the evidence is overwhelming but they got pics last time too and he got off with lesser charge.........Alex Acosta......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 08, 2019 01:14PM
He's going away for the rest of his life, that's my prediction. And we have primarily to thank...the free press. The Miami Herald to be exact. And the victims who kept after justice even after the worst possible treatment from prosecutors. A reporter there, Julie Brown, would not let go of this story. We'll see what happens to Alex Accosta.

The Herald published an investigation, Perversion of Justice, that described the extraordinary behind-the-scenes efforts made by prosecutors and defense attorneys to keep the non-prosecution agreement secret from victims, so they could not object.

Emails published as part of the series show how Epstein’s lawyers dictated the terms of the deail, which was not fully consummated until 2008

The Herald revelations have brought a rising chorus of calls for Acosta to resign or be fired from the president’s Cabinet.

Epstein was arrested Saturday at New Jersey’s Teterboro Airport after returning from Paris on his private jet.

[www.miamiherald.com]
Date: July 08, 2019 02:05PM
Lemon Drop

He's (Epstein) going away for the rest of his life, that's my prediction.

We'll see what happens to Alex Accosta.

It would be interesting and informative to circle back on the circumstances of these two in a year.
Date: July 08, 2019 06:32PM
Guaranteed to involve the words treated very unfairly
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 08, 2019 07:37PM
bfd

Pardon me?
Date: July 08, 2019 07:53PM
Lemon Drop
He's going away for the rest of his life, that's my prediction. And we have primarily to thank...the free press. The Miami Herald to be exact. And the victims who kept after justice even after the worst possible treatment from prosecutors. A reporter there, Julie Brown, would not let go of this story. We'll see what happens to Alex Accosta.

The Herald published an investigation, Perversion of Justice, that described the extraordinary behind-the-scenes efforts made by prosecutors and defense attorneys to keep the non-prosecution agreement secret from victims, so they could not object.

Emails published as part of the series show how Epstein’s lawyers dictated the terms of the deail, which was not fully consummated until 2008

The Herald revelations have brought a rising chorus of calls for Acosta to resign or be fired from the president’s Cabinet.

Epstein was arrested Saturday at New Jersey’s Teterboro Airport after returning from Paris on his private jet.

[www.miamiherald.com]

Mighty funny it didn't work so well for the Herald when they tried to take a good man down, now did it?

Date: July 08, 2019 08:02PM
vision63

Mighty funny it didn't work so well for the Herald when they tried to take a good man down, now did it?

Absence of Malice - one of the great Paul Newman movies. Love it.

Unfortunately this Epstein thing isn't fiction. We need to thankful for people like Julie Brown.
Date: July 08, 2019 09:54PM
GGD
bfd

Pardon me?

smiley-laughing001
Date: July 09, 2019 12:29PM
Lemon Drop
vision63

Unfortunately this Epstein thing isn't fiction. We need to thankful for people like Julie Brown.

I dont know who Julie Brown is. I dont even really know what this issue is about since I'm choosing to remain ignorant about anything that distracts from my goal of getting rid of Trump. If this is something that leads to that end, I'll jump in.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 09, 2019 12:38PM
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63

I dont know who Julie Brown is. I dont even really know what this issue is about since I'm choosing to remain ignorant about anything that distracts from my goal of getting rid of Trump. If this is something that leads to that end, I'll jump in.

It probably won't make a lot of difference but it might sway a few white suburban women who lean Republican but could be getting more and more disgusted with Trump's misogyny.

Julie Brown is the Miama Herald reporter who dug up the information about Epstein's sweetheart deal with then prosecutor and now Sec. of Labor Acosta - the New York prosecutors that are charging Epstein even acknowledged the importance of her reporting in getting them to look at this and end up charging him. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets journalistic awards for her work - it was excellent.
Date: July 09, 2019 12:51PM
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63

I understand. This isn't really partisan but it's definitely about the very worst kind of plutocratic rot.
Here's a synopsis and you can decide if you want to tune in or not:
Julie Brown is the Miami Herald reporter who exposed the cover-up of the deal billionaire Jeffrey Epstein got after it was discovered he was operating a teen sex trafficking ring out of his house in Florida. He faced no federal charges and did a year in county jail but was allowed to leave and go to his office everyday. His victims were not notified of the deal, which is illegal. The prosecutor in charge of that deal was Alex Acosta, who is now Trump's Labor Secretary. Epstein was arrested in New York this week on new federal charges, so Acosta's handling of the earlier deal is under new scrutiny. Trump is also a long time friend of Epstein, but so are lots of other wealthy well-connected people, including Bill Clinton.

If Trump gets rid of Acosta and the DOJ sends Epstein to prison for the rest of his life, and no other skeletons fall out of the closet, Trump will come out OK on this one IMO.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 09, 2019 01:11PM
I don't think Epstein will go down without bringing down his "clientele". I expect to see powerful and well-known Democrats as well as Republicans crash and burn.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 09, 2019 01:38PM
If a are works his magic, Epstein will come out like he did in Florida. Acosta will be gone for some other reason, and Trump will burn through 500 lies and come out untouched.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 09, 2019 01:40PM
Sam3
I don't think Epstein will go down without bringing down his "clientele". I expect to see powerful and well-known Democrats as well as Republicans crash and burn.

Assuming his implications are supported by evidence, this is part of the outcome we all want, right?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 09, 2019 01:59PM
Sam3

I hold no illusions about reality being as freewheeling and willy nilly as fiction, but I still do not doubt that there is some actual threshold of power and influence beyond which you pose legitimate peril to at grave risk to yourself.

No hushed, indirect instruction. Likely no contact within several levels. Just a well understood point where tolerance is no longer an acceptable option and difficulties cease of their own volition or they are removed through whatever means required.

Perhaps not unlike the Special Forces commander charged with murder, that recently was all but completely exonerated when the key prosecutorial witness took the stand and not only backtracked on his understood version of events, but actually confessed to committing the murder himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 02:01PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: July 09, 2019 05:52PM
Ted King
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63

It probably won't make a lot of difference but it might sway a few white suburban women who lean Republican but could be getting more and more disgusted with Trump's misogyny.

Julie Brown is the Miama Herald reporter who dug up the information about Epstein's sweetheart deal with then prosecutor and now Sec. of Labor Acosta - the New York prosecutors that are charging Epstein even acknowledged the importance of her reporting in getting them to look at this and end up charging him. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets journalistic awards for her work - it was excellent.

It may well make a difference and that should certainly be strategized for, but we can't depend on that. This is all going to boil down to either this or that. Registering as many Democrats as possible, especially around suppression hurdles and GOTV is our salvation. If we fail, reporters like Julie Brown may very well find themselves imprisoned for revealing just this kind of thing. More power to her.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 09, 2019 06:58PM
vision63
Ted King
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63

It may well make a difference and that should certainly be strategized for, but we can't depend on that. This is all going to boil down to either this or that. Registering as many Democrats as possible, especially around suppression hurdles and GOTV is our salvation. If we fail, reporters like Julie Brown may very well find themselves imprisoned for revealing just this kind of thing. More power to her.

I didn't mean to imply that there are likely to be enough political ramifications of this that it is something that you should pay attention to. I was just trying to assess how important it will be in the next election and it isn't likely to be much - but it's not nothing.
Date: July 09, 2019 07:59PM
Ted King
vision63
Ted King
vision63
Lemon Drop
vision63

I didn't mean to imply that there are likely to be enough political ramifications of this that it is something that you should pay attention to. I was just trying to assess how important it will be in the next election and it isn't likely to be much - but it's not nothing.

We agree.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 314
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018