advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Barr recuses himself in Epstein case
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 08, 2019 08:58PM
'had nothing to do with Barr's father having hired Epstein to teach a NY private school.' as you may have heard....

[lawandcrime.com]
When U.S. Attorney General William Barr went through the confirmation hearing process back in January, Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska) asked Barr if he would commit to launching a “full and thorough investigation” into the way the Department of Justice handled the Jeffrey Epstein case, namely how Epstein’s law-breaking sweetheart deal came to be struck and kept under lock and key.

Barr offered an interesting response to the question: “Senator, I have to recuse myself from Kirkland & Ellis matters, I am told. And I think Kirkland & Ellis was maybe involved in that case, so I need to sort out exactly what my role can be. I will say that if I’m confirmed I’ll make sure your questions are answered on this case.”

Barr was right that Kirkland & Ellis was involved in the case. The firm’s senior partner, Jay Lefkowitz, was among high-profile lawyers like Alan Dershowitz and Ken Starr who represented Epstein. The so-called all star cast of lawyers, with the apparent blessing of former federal prosecutor Alexander Acosta (President Donald Trump‘s current Labor Secretary), secured a plea agreement for Epstein that got federal sex trafficking charges taken off the table, and then some.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Barr recuses himself in Epstein case
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 09, 2019 07:53AM
too sleazy even for him?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 09, 2019 11:48AM
He's only recused himself from the review of what Acosta did. Not the new charges.
Makes sense to me.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Attorney General William Barr will not recuse himself from involvement in the new indictment unveiled this week by federal prosecutors in Manhattan charging financier Jeffrey Epstein with sex trafficking, a Justice Department official said Tuesday.

The official added, however, that Barr has been and will remain recused from overseeing the department’s review into how federal prosecutors in Florida, including now-Labor Secretary Alex Acosta, previously reached a plea deal with Epstein that has since come under scrutiny as being too lenient.

His recusal in that review stems from Barr’s prior work with the law firm Kirkland & Ellis. Acosta also previously worked at the firm.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 09, 2019 11:52AM
Must have received a call from the Orange Emperor, who doesn't like his thug AGs to recuse themselves.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 342
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018