advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Bees help pollinate a third of the crops we eat."
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 09, 2019 01:16PM
But hey, so what, right?

Last year, the Trump administration reversed an Obama-era rule barring the use of neonicotinoids, a chemical family that is one of the major culprits in colony collapse disorder, in wildlife refuges. And the Environmental Protection Agency has granted "emergency" permissions to 18 states to spray an insecticide that's considered "highly toxic" to bees.

But that's OK, because if you don't know bee populations are dwindling, you don't have to act upon it.

Two other surveys have been suspended or scaled back in the last year. The Cost of Pollination survey, which tracked how farmers pay for honeybees to pollinate their crops, was suspended in 2018, and the Honey survey -- which gathers information on honey production -- has been scaled back to cut data collection on beekeeping operations that have less than five colonies.

"The decision to suspend data collection was not made lightly, but was necessary given available fiscal and program resources," according to a notice posted by the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Survey. The USDA would not provide a figure for how much the agency was saving by discontinuing the survey.

The suspension is "temporary," according to a USDA spokesperson, who did not say when or if it would be resumed.

[www.cnn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Bees help pollinate a third of the crops we eat."
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 09, 2019 03:35PM
Yikes. These Trumpies are just busy, busy, busy planting bombs that will go off in our faces...when they’re long out of office.

Fun fact: vanilla started in Mexico - it’s an orchid which makes the (vanilla-flavored) bean pod. It became popular when the Spaniards brought it back to Europe, and so they tried to cultivate vanilla elsewhere, in similar climates, but the flowers wouldn’t make the pods. It took a long time, but they finally figured out that the problem was that a necessary pollinator (a type of bee in this case) was missing outside of Mexico.

Of course, chocolate also came from Mexico/Central America. If you like ice cream with Hershey’s (like I do), you should thank Mexico, twice.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 09, 2019 04:07PM
We're going to need immigrants to go around with little brushes to pollinate the flowers.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: July 09, 2019 05:25PM
You know, it's not really funny. That @#$%& is doing so much damage that no one is aware of because they are all worried and get their panties in a bind over his stupid @#$%& up hourly tweets. Maybe he's not as ignorant as I thought.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 09, 2019 06:04PM
mstudio
You know, it's not really funny. That @#$%& is doing so much damage that no one is aware of because they are all worried and get their panties in a bind over his stupid @#$%& up hourly tweets. Maybe he's not as ignorant as I thought.

He is for sure doing an immense amount of damage, but I think this isn't the unfolding of some master plan. Mostly he just hires people who were business people or lobbyists and puts them in charge of the agencies that they normally are trying to persuade to act in a way they want. Now they don't have to persuade, they call the shots and they know exactly what they want. Trump probably doesn't know squat about much of anything that these guys (it's almost always guys) want except the broadest and dimmest of understandings. I doubt he even grasps that well that he is systematically acting in a manner that if followed through to it's logical end would turn the US government into a kleptocracy that would serve neither the current generations well nor certainly not future generations.

He can't see farther than his reflection in a mirror - a mirror often held very close to his face.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 09, 2019 06:14PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 06:19PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 09, 2019 06:54PM
Ted King
I think this isn't the unfolding of some master plan.

His "master" plan is; "If Obama did it, I'll undo it."
Date: July 09, 2019 09:34PM
Lux Interior
Ted King
I think this isn't the unfolding of some master plan.

His "master" plan is; "If Obama did it, I'll undo it."

You're both correct.

He knows Obama was popular, IS popular. And such a person will always be a threat to him. That's the narcissism.

As for the rest, nothing matters but himself. He doesn't know, and doesn't care about anyone or anything. That's the incompetence as it relates to the job.
Date: July 09, 2019 09:55PM
mstudio

That failure is on an uncaring public, not anything he's engineered.

Trump and Twitter may go together like cookies 'n cream, but he'd find some other outlet if it were gone.

I read the other day Ross Perot owed his '92 campaign largely to appearances on Larry King. There's always some historically random way to get attention.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 09, 2019 09:56PM
Here's a TedX talk that discusses how you can help the bees:

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 11, 2019 10:46AM
Their overriding goal is to decouple the treasury from the government. It's the richest pile of money on earth. When you think of all the different ways that is accomplished, you know they'll never give up.

Every other fight we have is waged to distract us from the robbery that is taking place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 288
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018