advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Today's "Social Media Summit"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 11, 2019 10:48AM
While we wait for Trump's expected executive order for adding racism to the census, he's also holding a Bizarro World "Social Media Summit" today with a few of the Internet's better-known purveyors of lies.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Why? To have a bitch session about Facebook, Twitter, Google, all of whom have helped Trump tremendously but not 110%, so instead they're getting defamed, alleging "tremendous dishonesty, bias, discrimination and suppression practiced ..." Naturally, no one from Facebook, Twitter, Google were invited.

The list of scheduled attendees being given the dais today "includes James O’Keefe, the founder of Project Veritas whose secretly recorded and highly edited videos of subjects have prompted widespread backlash, including from state authorities and people who have sued him in response."

You may recall O'Keefe as working with Lila Rose to create faked videos at Planned Parenthood clinics. Dale Daleiden was another @#$%& who did the same with Rose, who earlier had founded Live Action as a way to indoctrinate college kids.

Conspiracy theorists Ali Alexander (Ali Akbar) and Gateway Pundit founder Jim Hoft will be there. Dennis Prager ("PragerU") is among those who will be complaining that his presence has been limited by Big Tech. Others with beefs include lawmakers. Cartoonist Ben Garrison narrowly missed the cut because someone who creates anti-Semitic images is apparently "a distraction."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today's "Social Media Summit"
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 11, 2019 11:27AM
Or, maybe your message is a big, steaming pile of poop that can't get traction outside of the angry old white people demographic.
Date: July 11, 2019 11:32AM
Oh without a doubt, it’s guaranteed to be a circlejerk.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 11, 2019 11:38AM
deckeda
Oh without a doubt, it’s guaranteed to be a circlejerk.

Culminating in one collective dry, dusty, ruined orgasm.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 11, 2019 11:59AM
but were there tanks?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 11, 2019 12:07PM
deckeda
Cartoonist Ben Garrison narrowly missed the cut because someone who creates anti-Semitic images is apparently "a distraction."

He was invited, then later uninvited.

[www.cnn.com]
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 11, 2019 12:19PM
Donald Jr. is just champing at the bit for that Head of the Ministry of Truth job.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 11, 2019 02:39PM
Is that why Twitter is down ? It suicided rather than continue to be a conduit for Presidential insanity ?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 11, 2019 02:51PM
They are standing around munching on cold dry hamburgers raving about how 'gourmet' they taste.
Posted by: Pam
Date: July 11, 2019 03:55PM
Strategy session for 2020
Date: July 11, 2019 08:57PM
Pam
Strategy session for 2020

You're correct.

Apparently it was a greatest-hits show of tweets, of how to use Twitter to great effect. Any tweet that got him recognition was praised, regardless of content. Even the ones that showed him to be an idiot:

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 12, 2019 01:26AM
Carl Benjamin, AKA "Sargon of Akkad", provides a counterpoint to most of the views expressed here including why the summit was held and why representatives from Google, Facebook, and Twitter were not invited, along with commentary on some mainstream media reporting of the event (NSFW/some swearing)- [www.youtube.com]

I am no fan of Trump, but having grown up around someone who is every bit as crazy as Trump, although in different ways and over different issues, I have learned that just because someone is crazy doesn't mean they're wrong all the time about everything. The censorship, both overt and subtle, of conservative voices by major social media networks is well-documented, and rather than being spoon-fed whatever opinion on any given issue Silicon Valley has and feels that I should have as well, I prefer to have the ability to hear both sides of an argument and decide for myself what my opinion is.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Date: July 12, 2019 08:13AM
Thrift Store Scott
Carl Benjamin, AKA "Sargon of Akkad", provides a counterpoint to most of the views expressed here including why the summit was held and why representatives from Google, Facebook, and Twitter were not invited, along with commentary on some mainstream media reporting of the event (NSFW/some swearing)- [www.youtube.com]

I am no fan of Trump, but having grown up around someone who is every bit as crazy as Trump, although in different ways and over different issues, I have learned that just because someone is crazy doesn't mean they're wrong all the time about everything. The censorship, both overt and subtle, of conservative voices by major social media networks is well-documented, and rather than being spoon-fed whatever opinion on any given issue Silicon Valley has and feels that I should have as well, I prefer to have the ability to hear both sides of an argument and decide for myself what my opinion is.

Where is this well documented information?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 12, 2019 08:44AM
Thrift Store Scott
The censorship, both overt and subtle, of conservative voices by major social media networks is well-documented, and rather than being spoon-fed whatever opinion on any given issue Silicon Valley has and feels that I should have as well, I prefer to have the ability to hear both sides of an argument and decide for myself what my opinion is.

The idea that there is a dearth of conservative commentary on social media is a laughable canard.

If you’re referring to the extremist hate speech that is probably the most commonly restricted rhetoric on these privately owned platforms, then your ability to partake remains unfettered as even that is easily found with only a modicum of effort, if you’re willing to dip into the types of cesspools where it is welcome.

A platform’s success should not be rewarded with the loss of its ability to control the content it offers.
Date: July 12, 2019 09:23AM
Thrift Store Scott

Please explain to us how spreading memes that promote hatred, conspiracy theories, and personal vitriol toward vulnerable people and public personalities is giving you access to both sides of an argument to consider thoughtfully and reflectively?

There's lots of open access to thoughtful debate on the internet, and no lack of spots for reasoned discussion and a free exchange of ideas. There's a point to be made about the importance of space for offensive, hateful, even 'dangerous' speech in our society, and the risks of allowing the government to shut down group of speakers wholesale. But, that argument is separate from one about creating spaces for public discussion and deliberation. Those spaces have never existed without some form or another of editorial control.

rj
AKA
Date: July 12, 2019 09:42AM
Societies as a whole have never collectively valued “all opinions.” That notion is con job. In fact, some viewpoints are strongly discouraged in the form of laws. Bingo, there’s your civilization. You don’t have to agree with the law, but it did get there somehow.

The trick for haters is to pass laws and create norms that pass as good, proper, and correct because those are the only attributes people like to see themselves as portraying. We can rationalize anything. And we know that historically that’s had great success.

So the fight for the souls of men doesn’t end. But if what you’re selling smells fishy, someone in charge will smack it down until you can sell it better.

In the meantime, it’s a gross error to confuse private censor with public censor. Not only does that say you don’t understand where real power lies, but it also means you’d willingly cede that power to the very entity that hasn’t earned it —- ironically.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 12, 2019 10:54AM
Pam
Thrift Store Scott

Dan Crenshaw Interrogates Social Media Execs on Silencing Conservatives- [www.youtube.com]

Media Has Gone INSANE Trying To Smear Me Over Social Media Summit At The White House- [www.youtube.com]

Tim Pool Details Controversial Twitter Bannings to Joe Rogan- [www.youtube.com]

Tim Pool Tells Twitter Exec They Have a Liberal Bias | JRE Twitter Special- [www.youtube.com]

VOX is Trying to Ban This Channel... | Louder with Crowder- [www.youtube.com]

Vox's Scorched Earth Plan WORKED, Youtube Demonetized Steven Crowder And Others- [www.youtube.com]

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 12, 2019 11:07AM
Thrift Store Scott
Dan Crenshaw

Steven Crowder
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 12, 2019 11:22AM
[youtube-creators.googleblog.com]

Preventing Harm to the Broader YouTube Community
Friday, February 9, 2018

Recently, we faced situations where the egregious actions of a handful of YouTubers harmed the reputation of the broader creator community among advertisers, the media industry and most importantly, the general public. In light of this behavior—and our commitment to tighten our policies and communicate them more quickly and transparently—we’re introducing new consequences to apply in the rare event when one creator’s actions harm the entire community.

When one creator does something particularly blatant—like conducts a heinous prank where people are traumatized, promotes violence or hate toward a group, demonstrates cruelty, or sensationalizes the pain of others in an attempt to gain views or subscribers—it can cause lasting damage to the community, including viewers, creators and the outside world. That damage can have real-world consequences not only to users, but also to other creators, leading to missed creative opportunities, lost revenue and serious harm to your livelihoods. That’s why it’s critical to ensure that the actions of a few don’t impact the 99.9 percent of you who use your channels to connect with your fans or build thriving businesses.

Youtube is giving Crowder a platform from which to spew his hate. But they and other social media platforms owned by corporations are in no way obligated to let him make money from it. It's their company. I thought conservatives got capitalism? Maybe not.
Date: July 12, 2019 11:28AM
Thrift Store Scott did you read the WaPo link above, written after the "Summit?"

The reporter noted how the event was little more than Trump airing personal grievances, not broader concerns regarding worthy ideas having no viable outlets.

Trump additionally highlighted "popular" tweets of his, regardless of their content or impact, because that's what Trump values: exposure above all else. It's the narcissist's drug. Bad news about Trump is always better for Trump than no news about Trump.

The Summit was a farce, not a legit effort to uncover any missing media coverage by anyone.

So I gotta ask, given that the attendees were in agreement with Trump, what does that then say about their complaint?

Schoolyards are filled with immature children complaining about "unfairness" when they aren't as popular as they should be. It's in every bully's playbook.
Date: July 12, 2019 02:08PM
I know it's tangential and I'm not trying to threadjack, but sometimes the details are just too rich.

In the early aughts, Steven Crowder (referenced above) did voice acting work on the animated show "Arthur" on PBS. He played Alan "Brain" Powers, a "bear of Senegalese descent, and celebrates Kwanzaa."

Nothing says alt-right like a Kwanzaa-celebrating African bear on public television.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 12, 2019 02:41PM
rjmacs
I know it's tangential and I'm not trying to threadjack, but sometimes the details are just too rich.

In the early aughts, Steven Crowder (referenced above) did voice acting work on the animated show "Arthur" on PBS. He played Alan "Brain" Powers, a "bear of Senegalese descent, and celebrates Kwanzaa."

Nothing says alt-right like a Kwanzaa-celebrating African bear on public television.

That's hilarious.

Also good to remember this guy is playing a part, he's an actor. He's figured out that the voice of ignorant bigot works to get attention and money. I'm glad at least one of his enablers shut it down.
Date: July 12, 2019 02:43PM
Thrift Store Scott
Pam
Thrift Store Scott

Dan Crenshaw Interrogates Social Media Execs on Silencing Conservatives- [www.youtube.com]

Media Has Gone INSANE Trying To Smear Me Over Social Media Summit At The White House- [www.youtube.com]

Tim Pool Tells Twitter Exec They Have a Liberal Bias | JRE Twitter Special- [www.youtube.com]

Vox's Scorched Earth Plan WORKED, Youtube Demonetized Steven Crowder And Others- [www.youtube.com]

Maybe I should rephrase my question, where is the well documented *unbiased* information?
Date: July 12, 2019 02:54PM
Pam
Thrift Store Scott
Pam
Thrift Store Scott

Maybe I should rephrase my question, where is the well documented *unbiased* information?

It's hard to argue anything other than conspiracy and censorship when the established/establishment news outlets are unable to substantiate your claims to their (self-created, and therefore unavoidably biased) journalistic standards, leaving you few options other than social media outlets to share your messages, only to find those same standards of truth and evidence following you into those spaces, too.

rj
AKA
Date: July 12, 2019 03:56PM
rjmacs
It's hard to argue anything other than conspiracy and censorship when the established/establishment news outlets are unable to substantiate your claims to their (self-created, and therefore unavoidably biased) journalistic standards, leaving you few options other than social media outlets to share your messages, only to find those same standards of truth and evidence following you into those spaces, too.

It's equally hard when your message is at its core, "It's unfair" instead of substantiating bias claims with relevant examples that harm the greater public or ideals of truthiness.

It's a misappropriation of labels for convenience. Big Tech is biased against hate and lies, and somehow this bias is harmful/relevant to the message of unfairness? Um, no.

"Alternative facts."
--K. Conway

to which I say:

"Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here."
-- Melvin Udall, As Good As It Gets
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018