advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Does Mueller sound surprisingly tentative in his demeanor?
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 24, 2019 08:04AM
Does this perhaps explain his previous reluctance to testify? He is very strong in his prepared remarks, but much more hesitant under questioning. Also explains his having Aaron Zebley present to advise. I can already hear the alt-right youtube mashups of his verbal stumbles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 08:05AM by Janit.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does Mueller sound surprisingly tentative in his demeanor?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 24, 2019 08:07AM
He's a lawyer above all. Every. Word. Matters.

He's also just not interested in speeding through this, and giving his interrogators more time to ask more questions. He's setting the pace, which is fair. So far, it sounds like the Democrats are being pretty disciplined in their questions. Seems like the GOP strategy is to pretend that Volume II of the report doesn't exist.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 08:09AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 24, 2019 08:09AM
He sounds mighty agreeable to Democrats reading statements that Trump's folks welcomed the Russians' help and yes, again, there in no way exonerates Trump from obstruction.
Date: July 24, 2019 08:12AM
Republicans on the attack against Mueller. Doesn't look good for them.
Date: July 24, 2019 08:17AM
rjmacs

He's also just not interested in speeding through this, and giving his interrogators more time to ask more questions. He's setting the pace, which is fair. So far, it sounds like the Democrats are being pretty disciplined in their questions. Seems like the GOP strategy is to pretend that Volume II of the report doesn't exist.

It seems that his style is slow and deliberate rather than quick-step repartee. It's just that I can imagine some of his verbal mannerisms strung together to suggest a faltering old man with diminished capacity. Sigh.
Date: July 24, 2019 08:24AM
The GOPers are blowing it.
Date: July 24, 2019 08:27AM
They should be giving him the citation at the start of every question, so that his assistant can get it ready for him to review. Half of his questions are, "Can you repeat that?" or "Where does it say that?"

rj
AKA
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 24, 2019 08:36AM
Rep. Chabot, translated: "I'm going to ask you questions about people not in the report, so isn't that a one-sided report?"

WTF is that about?
Date: July 24, 2019 08:36AM
rjmacs
They should be giving him the citation at the start of every question, so that his assistant can get it ready for him to review. Half of his questions are, "Can you repeat that?" or "Where does it say that?"

Absolutely. If they have any sense, they will adjust their questioning style accordingly. I doubt that will happen though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 08:36AM by Janit.
Date: July 24, 2019 08:38AM
Dems are basically reading the report's highlights, with letting Mueller say "yes." Not a bad strategy for people who didn't read the report.

But they're going to have to get him to expand on a few things without speculating for there to be impact.
Date: July 24, 2019 08:41AM
Gohmert remains a moron.
Date: July 24, 2019 08:46AM
Steve G.
Gohmert remains a moron.

And a dick.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 24, 2019 09:07AM
Gym Jordan....nut job.

emoticon-animal-022

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: July 24, 2019 09:08AM
Interesting how grandstanding has a way of using up the clock on matters unrelated to what's covered in the Report. Republican wristwatches must run slowly.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 24, 2019 09:15AM
Janit
rjmacs

It seems that his style is slow and deliberate rather than quick-step repartee. It's just that I can imagine some of his verbal mannerisms strung together to suggest a faltering old man with diminished capacity. Sigh.

Mueller’s too solid for that. You could sell it to the Alex Jones crowd, but that’s about as far as a ‘doddering old man’ canard would fly. I’m going to walk that back. “diminished capacity” is hyperbolic, but given what MAGAs swallow on a daily basis, it’s hard to say what they won’t swallow.

The problem is, this is essentially going to be a rehash. To move the needle with the head in the sand crowd you’d need a Hollywood action movie explosion, and there’s no reason to think we’re going to get that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 09:33AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 24, 2019 09:20AM
After just catching a few minutes of this in the car, I agree with Janit. It sounds like Mueller’s voice is shaking, and he’s ducking most of the questions.

For instance, after Barr publicly mischaracterizes the conclusions of Mueller’s report, Mueller (or his staff) wrote a letter noting that he had done so, and that letter became public.

Who wrote that letter? Not going to say. confused smiley (the letter came from your office, dude)

But you signed it, and then it became public. Was it sent to the press, or did someone leak it? Not going to comment on internal matters.

This seems like fairly anodyne procedural stuff, and he won’t even answer simple questions about that. As I said, I only listened for a few minutes, but he doesn’t sound like a special investigator - he sounds like an intimidated man who is ducking and hiding things and wants it all to go away.
Date: July 24, 2019 09:27AM
Gaetz (R) is doing a swell job of bolstering the Democrats.
Date: July 24, 2019 09:36AM
Buck (R) attacks Mueller's integrity. +1 for Dems.

Mueller repeats that Trump can be charged with a crime after he leaves office.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 09:40AM by Steve G..
Date: July 24, 2019 09:37AM
pdq
After just catching a few minutes of this in the car, I agree with Janit. It sounds like Mueller’s voice is shaking, and he’s ducking most of the questions.

For instance, after Barr publicly mischaracterizes the conclusions of Mueller’s report, Mueller (or his staff) wrote a letter noting that he had done so, and that letter became public.

Who wrote that letter? Not going to say. confused smiley (the letter came from your office, dude)

But you signed it, and then it became public. Was it sent to the press, or did someone leak it? Not going to comment on internal matters.

This seems like fairly anodyne procedural stuff, and he won’t even answer simple questions about that. As I said, I only listened for a few minutes, but he doesn’t sound like a special investigator - he sounds like an intimidated man who is ducking and hiding things and wants it all to go away.

What he's ducking is everyone's colloquial summaries and suppositions. They're all doing their best to take liberties with such things as pronouns and he's not having it.
Date: July 24, 2019 09:47AM
deckeda
pdq

What he's ducking is everyone's colloquial summaries and suppositions. They're all doing their best to take liberties with such things as pronouns and he's not having it.

I just wish he had chosen a better way of phrasing his refusals. Some people who don't want to understand the legalities of his situation are likely to interpret his constant reference back to the report as showing that he does not actually remember what is written in the report.

So much of this is about optics and performance.
Date: July 24, 2019 09:48AM
Noteworthy: Mueller says "yes" when asked whether Trump could be charged with obstruction of justice after he leaves office.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Date: July 24, 2019 09:56AM
Markintosh
Noteworthy: Mueller says "yes" when asked whether Trump could be charged with obstruction of justice after he leaves office.

Yes indeed. So the question is whether this answer was a general hypothetical, as in any president could be charged with something after leaving office versus a veiled assertion that this president should be charged after he leaves office, because, yes he obstructed.

It could be spun either way.
Date: July 24, 2019 10:09AM
Lesko (R) caught flatfooted twice by Mueller. More to come.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 24, 2019 10:15AM
Repub: "I've got a prewritten question that I'm gonna ask you, about a specific statement, in a specific paragraph, somewhere on one of the 448 pages of the report.
You're not gonna know which statement until I speak it.
Cause I'm hopin' that's gonna make you look slow-on-the-uptake because you don't have the entire report committed to memory."
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 24, 2019 10:17AM
I just tuned in, will have to go back and read the transcript.
He seems tired and a bit frustrated but who wouldn't be after all this.
Date: July 24, 2019 10:21AM
Smirking Reschenthaler calling war hero Mueller unamerican. Wow.
Date: July 24, 2019 10:40AM
Steube (R) Florida, stopped dead by Mueller
Date: July 24, 2019 10:55AM
Steve G.
Steube (R) Florida, stopped dead by Mueller

It is almost gratifying when one of the R's is obnoxious enough to get Mueller's back up. Notice how the shaking voice solidifies and the backbone shows. I wish there had been a bit more of this strength from Mueller through the whole hearing.
Date: July 24, 2019 10:58AM
Ted Lieu: The President met the requirements of Obstruction, yes?

Mueller: Yes.

Ted Lieu: The only reason you did not indict the President was because of the opinion that you can not indict a sitting President, correct?

Mueller: Correct.

Over to you Nancy!
Date: July 24, 2019 11:15AM
I think the Dems used the report info to build a strong case for obstruction. The Republicans made fools of themselves.
Date: July 24, 2019 11:18AM
Steve G.
I think the Dems used the report info to build a strong case for obstruction. The Republicans made fools of themselves.

It was good to see this kind of discipline from the Dems.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 24, 2019 11:18AM
I had to take a break. I think Mueller is performing as expected. He has testified before Congress several times in his long public service career, as both a top official at the DOJ and at the FBI. He has rarely said things that were breaking news. As noted, most of it today has been smacking down Republicans.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 24, 2019 11:23AM
Republicans are going to make a lot of gravy out of his many refusals to answer questions, and most of those refusals were not accompanied by any explanation as to why he's not answering. Most of their "questions" were actually political speeches; it appeared he was ready for that and ready to pretty much ignore it.

That's what I would expect from a pro like him but it will frustrate Democrats who wanted fireworks today and it will be fodder for Republicans who want to discredit Mueller and his investigation.

What's abundantly clear is that Democrats hold sufficient evidence of criminal conduct by the President. We'll see how they act upon it and if he's held accountable. I still believe that failing to hold him accountable now sends a message to the electorate that Democrats think they can't prove the president broke any laws. Mueller says they can.
Date: July 24, 2019 11:26AM
I knew it -- Fox headline:

Mueller flustered, asking lawmakers to repeat questions at tense hearing

I won't link to it, you can find it if you really want to.
Date: July 24, 2019 11:39AM
Faux News notwithstanding, I don't feel as if Mueller was flustered nor caught off guard. If he was he has one hell of a poker face. Everything we know about him says he's extremely methodical in a way that doesn't produce flashy reveals. That's the part that Dems risked by doing this on TV.

To their credit Dems are sticking tot the Report and even reading some passages with emphasis and emotion, which is appropriate and effective.

This is interesting:
WaPo
Trump has argued that Mueller was conflicted, in part, because he interviewed at the White House for the job of FBI director shortly before becoming special counsel. Before the hearing, reports indicated that Mueller disputed this claim, and Trump took to Twitter to challenge Mueller to testify under oath on it.

“Hope he doesn’t say that under oath in that we have numerous witnesses to the ... interview, including the Vice President of the United States!” Trump said.

Mueller did just that, twice. He stated that he visited the White House about the job search, but “not as a candidate.” He later reiterated the meeting “was about the job but not about me applying for the job.”

This contradicts months of Trump’s claims, and Mueller said so under penalty of perjury.

This is our world. A man like Mueller risks perjury but a man like Trump risks only making lie #11,057 or whatever.

You can bet the White House will spend most of the day today seeing how they can frame it as perjury. Of course, you won't get the president and VP to testify about it.
Date: July 24, 2019 11:47AM
Mueller's short, one word answers were terrific. here's why: The hearing turned into Democrats reading damning sections of the report and Mueller saying 'Amen' and 'Hallelujah' every time they nailed Trump on obstruction. In short, a very efficient way of moving the Trump obstruction case before the public.

[edit] for instance: 'Mueller tells House panel Trump asked staff to falsify records'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 11:49AM by Steve G..
Date: July 24, 2019 11:52AM
This is what I was talking about the other day. News orgs report what people do or say. Dems wanted headlines to report what Mueller said/confirmed/etc.

It becomes Mueller saying those things, not a dry “report” or worse, Democrats saying them.
Date: July 24, 2019 12:03PM
Steve G.
Mueller's short, one word answers were terrific. here's why: The hearing turned into Democrats reading damning sections of the report and Mueller saying 'Amen' and 'Hallelujah' every time they nailed Trump on obstruction.

When did he say "amen" or "hallelujah?"

Not all the one word answers were great. In some cases he could have answered but chose not to, for reasons unknown. Some commentators are saying this was a failure of preparation on the part of Democratic staffers and I"m inclined to agree.

Overall, there's no new information today and this will not change minds on either side, but there's very clear confirmation of what we already knew and I agree Dems have what they need, we'll see what they do.
If Dems continue to do nothing then there will be nothing to challenge Republican messaging that the investigation was a partisan "charade" that yielded no evidence of wrongdoing by the president.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 24, 2019 12:14PM

I knew it -- Fox headline: Mueller flustered, asking lawmakers to repeat questions at tense hearing
Mueller exasperated, asks lawmaker if there was actually a question in that political statement
wink smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 24, 2019 12:25PM
Nunes

nuts smiley

Date: July 24, 2019 12:28PM
Lemon Drop

Ted Lieu: The only reason you did not indict the President was because of the opinion that you can not indict a sitting President, correct?

Over to you Nancy!

Mueller explicitly walked this back at the start of his Intelligence Committee testimony. bomb smiley

rj
AKA
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 24, 2019 03:18PM
rjmacs
Lemon Drop

Over to you Nancy!

Mueller explicitly walked this back at the start of his Intelligence Committee testimony. bomb smiley

Or was told to, threatened, coerced, etc. during the break between committees … Once it's out, it's out. He knew that when he first answered the question… Mueller is no fool. That he was forced to suffer fools all day long today - and did so graciously and admirably - makes him all the more believable.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 24, 2019 04:51PM
Takeaway: you can indict when he leaves office.
Date: July 24, 2019 05:02PM
mrbigstuff
Takeaway: you can indict when he leaves office.

I'd like to see him cuffed on the platform when the new President is sworn in. He's a flight risk.
Posted by: maco
Date: July 25, 2019 07:03AM
Trump Russia: The saga in 350 words

[www.bbc.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 25, 2019 04:32PM
Yeah...but her emails.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018