advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

AAPL stock: $96.88 ( -0.31 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Re: Most beautiful ship in the World.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 27, 2007 12:51PM
Out of interest, going back to spearmint's original picture, is that a photo of the real ship or an artist's impression. Just wondering if the ship is actually sailing at the moment or still being built.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 27, 2007 12:56PM
For all the people who objected to my posting of the most beautiful ship, which it it is and switched it to Political Rantings. Go to Hell.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: January 27, 2007 01:04PM
We went.

We knocked on the door.

You didn't answer.

We left.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Date: January 27, 2007 01:18PM
How can a picture of a beautiful ship become ranting except for other peoples raving? Thank you VoodPenguin you are a moran(sic).

Da Good Life
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: January 27, 2007 01:27PM
spearmint
That ship is a beauty of function, What is wrong with you people.Lotsa Nytimes subcribers? FU.

Actually this is the point it was moved to the Rant section

When YOU brought out the "FU" to people that simply disagreed with you
Everyone else had been civil in their disagreement with you up to that point

Posted by: billb
Date: January 27, 2007 02:13PM
voodoopenguin
Out of interest, going back to spearmint's original picture, is that a photo of the real ship or an artist's impression. Just wondering if the ship is actually sailing at the moment or still being built.

Although this project was conceptualized shortly after WTC , the keel wasn't laid until 9/2004. [www.nvr.navy.mil]

[www.nvr.navy.mil] - in case that link doesn't work.

Given that a ship of this size would be a 2 to4 year project (barring hurry-up mode) (cost +++) , I doubt it's done and at sea-trials yet.
Keep in mind that even when done, it doesn't necessarily get listed in active service until it gets assigned. It could sit for years pending acceptance and assignment.

I'd guess artist's conceptualization.
It'salso quite possible that's a real picture of a sister-ship.

I'd have to do some rooting to find if LPD 21 is the first of it's class.

Edit: Mint's link/pic comes from wikipedia.
Mint must've been inspired here: >>>URL deleted, doesn't work<<<
That link pops right up and works via google.
That's odd.
Maybe this one ?:[en.wikipedia.org]

Last edit:First of class: LPD-17, USS San Antonia was/ is in Norfolk,Va.
[en.wikipedia.org]
So, it could be a 'real' pic of a sister-ship.
Interesting stats.

>>>there does appear to be a 17 on the bow. :-)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2007 02:47PM by billb.
Date: January 27, 2007 02:32PM
spearmint
How can a picture of a beautiful ship become ranting except for other peoples raving? Thank you VoodPenguin you are a moran(sic).

Please look back at all the posts and see who was ranting. Please also try to actually read what is there rather than making it up and extrapolating way out of reason. You might then see that the picture of the ship was not the problem. The fact that you thought it is/will be (not sure if it's built yet) the most beautiful ship in the world is also not a problem and I said that. The problem is your abuse hurling at anyone who disagreed with your opinion. That was repeated by several posters to this thread but you seem unable to see that and as pointed out by lafinfil it would be your abuse and your profanity that caused the topic to be moved. Everyone else was having a polite discussion and exchange of views.
Date: January 27, 2007 03:35PM
Extrapolating way out of reason? How do you do you do that?

Da Good Life
Date: January 27, 2007 03:57PM
spearmint
Extrapolating way out of reason? How do you do you do that?

Not sure myself but you seem to manage it without a problem.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 27, 2007 06:09PM
In this forum (either side) I've come to equate FU with FOLLOW UP (for some odd reason.) and FY for F**K you [and not Fiscal Year]

Every ship that defends our liberties, even those to hate said ships, is the most beautiful ship in the world.

It's a fact that without those ships, in years past, we would not be having this discourse.

Posted by: elmo3
Date: January 27, 2007 06:11PM
spearmint
For all the people who objected to my posting of the most beautiful ship, which it it is

not.

Suck it up, mint. Be a man. Accept it.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: &amp;quot;it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion.&amp;quot;

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: elmo3
Date: January 27, 2007 06:14PM
SteveJobs
Every ship that defends our liberties, even those to hate said ships, is the most beautiful ship in the world.

It's a fact that without those ships, in years past, we would not be having this discourse.

Ships don't defend liberties. People defend liberties. It's a fact that without those people we would not be having this discourse.

And before you tell me that they couldn't have done it without ships like that, let me remind you that it's a poor workman who blames his tools.

People defend liberties. Likewise, people accept tyranny. It's the people, dummy.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: &amp;quot;it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion.&amp;quot;

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Date: January 27, 2007 06:18PM
For once in a blue moon, I agree with Elmo.

It's people that defend our liberties, not inanimate tools.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 27, 2007 07:21PM
Then the people should have walked across the oceans.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 27, 2007 07:28PM
Minty, I get the point you tried to make, and as someone who was in NYC that day and spent it working to send that horrible news out to the rest of the world I am still super pissed at what those fsckers did to my city and also that that scoombag Osama is still sitting on his @ss in his frickin cave.

I had good friends at ground zero doing their jobs filming as the towers came down, who were covered, head to foot, in white dust and I pray every day that I don't get a call telling me they now have cancer. My buddy's brother in law didn't make it out of the towers and left behind a young wife and 3 small kids. My sister's boyfriend was a fireman from Brooklyn at the time, who missed the ferry by five minutes and wound up not being in the towers with the rest of his friends when they can down. He worked the pile for a month afterward, is officially out of therapy but is not a fireman anymore.

I mention the above first to tell you I understand what you first wrote and then tell you that I got the same picture a few nights ago from my brother, someone who worked at the very top of the WTC for Verizon and who lost good buddies up there that day. He has always been very much into the "beauty" of armed forces jets and ships and spends much time going to armed forces air shows and seeing any ships he can see in Newport News.

In talking about the ship we both mentioned how great it was to have it and that while it is great to be sticking it these terrorists by using the 24 tons of WTC steel, in good old US of A fashion, that it didn't look too impressive to either of us. But he mentioned that stealth fighters don't look very impressive either.

I think you were wrong to go balistic on anyone who simply said the ship wasn't beautiful. This is America, my friend, and too many people have died in the name of protecting everyones right to differing opinions. That is a cornerstone to our democracy. I know what you meant but the founding fathers knew what they were doing when they wrote the constitution and bill of rights and without it we are just another dictatorship stomping on people who don't shake their heads up or down when we do.

So IMHO, it's a pretty bland looking ship (looks a bit Photoshopped to me too) but it's the coolest ship we've produced in quite a while as it carries the karma of many good people, American and foreigner, the karma of many, many selfless and heroic deeds done on 9/11 and an important part of my beloved city in those 24 tons of the WTC.

Let's hope that those who use it - use it for real, honest American interests (even if that sounds kind of wishful and childish) and then use it well.

If you want to read the rest of what was attached to the picture:
-----------------------------------------------------------
USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept. 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up." "It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? "Never Forget"

JoeM
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 27, 2007 08:28PM
The "Ronald Reagan" would be a better looking ship if it didn't have his name on it messing
up its looks. The 80's, those were some real great years around here, NOT.

Grateful11
Date: January 27, 2007 09:18PM
Can't wait for the USS Clinton, our country's next new nuclear sub.

Long, hard, carries @#$%&.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2007 10:03PM by Effin Haole.
Date: January 27, 2007 09:59PM
Effin Haole
Can't wait for the USS Clinton, our countries next new nuclear sub.

Long, hard, carries @#$%&.

Yep, just hope it don't get sunk by some Russian sub of the Lewinsky class.

baadummpumm!!

And don't tell me they'll have to blow all tubes! smiling smiley

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2007 09:59PM by JoeM.
Posted by: x-uri
Date: January 27, 2007 10:18PM
I got this email just before Xmas, from a former student who cannot be convinced that I don't want her to send me chain letters and spam.

[www.snopes.com]

The U.S.S. New York won't be launched until April 07 and, according to Snopes.com, that is a picture of the San Antonio.

"@#$%&" is a racial slur directed against to asians, that dates back to the Philippine Insurrection. It does not now mean, nor has it ever mean, "enemy combatant". It is hate speech.

As for being the most beautiful ship in he world, not even close.

Date: January 27, 2007 10:43PM
Once again Mint says anybody who does not think the USS New York is beautiful can go to hell.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: January 28, 2007 12:07AM
Mint, you are a damned idiot.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 28, 2007 01:16AM
Not his fault. He's a Cub fan and thus brain damaged. He's not legally responsible for spontaneous outbursts. Add the pressure of the upcoming Super Bowl embarrassment his Bears are headed for and you'd understand the stress factors he's battling.

When fascism Comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying the cross - Sinclair Lewis
Date: January 28, 2007 01:59AM
spearmint
Once again Mint says anybody who does not think the USS New York is beautiful can go to hell.

You know mint, if you would have spent a few minutes today looking over your post here:
[forums.macresource.com]
instead of wasting your time railing like that moran rickard5, I could have helped you open those emails and maybe one of them would have been a lead to a sale or info you needed.

I hope this was worth it to you. I obviously wasted the time I put into writing in this thread.

JoeM
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 28, 2007 07:14AM
spearmint

That does it now I'm going to Hell. Guess I don't have to worry about what I do with the
rest of my life because it's already been decided that I'm going to Hell because of the
picture of a ship.

Elaine: Well I'm going to hell.

Jerry: That seems about right.

Elaine: According to Puddy.

Jerry: Hey, have you heard the one about the guy in hell with the coffee and
the doughtnuts and--

Elaine: I'm not in the mood.

George (To a passing waitress): I'll have some coffee and a doughnut.

Jerry: What do you care? You don't believe in hell.

Elaine: I know, but he does.

Jerry: So it's more of a relationship problem than the final destination of
your soul.

Elaine: Well, relationships are very important to me.

Jerry: Maybe you can strike one up with the prince of darkness as you burn for
all eternity.

George (to the waitress bringing his doughnut): And a slice of devil's food
cake.

Elaine: David, I'm going to hell! The worst place in the world! With devils
and those caves and the ragged clothing! And the heat! My god, the heat! I
mean, what do you think about all that?

Puddy: Gonna be rough.

Elaine: Uh, you should be trying to save me!

Puddy: Don't boss me! This is why you're going to hell.

Elaine: I am not going to hell and if you think I'm going to hell, you should
care that I'm going to hell even though I am not.

Puddy: You stole my Jesus fish, didn't you?

Elaine: Yeah, that's right!

Grateful11
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 28, 2007 02:10PM
Posted by: Pops
Date: January 30, 2007 05:56AM
Mint, you need to go back and read this thread from the top again, post by post.

Maybe after a Xanax.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 31, 2007 08:19PM
Well, I'm late to the party, but just thought I'd add this:
[www.navy.mil]
[www.navy.mil]
Date: February 02, 2007 09:14AM
I sure never used the term "@#$%&". I was there and respect the people highly. Here in San Jose I seek out their restaurants because they have great food and are severly friendly folks. Their other retail businesses have wonderful service.

Da Good Life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 09:17AM by spearmint.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 02, 2007 11:11PM
There are two types of seagoing vessels...

submarines,

and targets.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 03, 2007 12:02AM
Lux Interior
There are two types of seagoing vessels...

submarines,

and targets.

Is that so, try and draw a bead on this!

before it sinks.

When fascism Comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying the cross - Sinclair Lewis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 12:07AM by RgrF.
Date: February 03, 2007 10:57AM
For all concerned Mint knows how to spell "moron". I thought this was a forum quirk.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 03, 2007 04:45PM
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 04, 2007 07:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login