advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Jeffrey Epstein commits suicide in cell
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 10, 2019 08:14AM
ABC News

“Jeffrey Epstein, the disgraced millionaire who was facing federal sex trafficking charges, died by suicide Friday night in his Lower Manhattan jail cell, three law enforcement officials told ABC News.

The exact timing and circumstances were not immediately clear.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 08:31AM by Blankity Blank.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Jeffrey Epstein commits suicide in cell
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 10, 2019 08:21AM
i thought he was on suicide watch. was this "allowed" to happen? it seems a lot of high powered men were about to be brought down with his case.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 10, 2019 08:27AM
It's very convenient for a lot of very powerful people that Jeffrey Epstein will never face trial.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: August 10, 2019 08:40AM
It’s early still, and we may or may not know the entire story behind this, eventually, but there are heights at which even billions are not enough to protect you.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2019 08:45AM
FWIW the documents that he had are coming to light. And yes, he had photos, videos, records. Lots of folks are going down. Good.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 10, 2019 09:07AM
Yeah if all that stuff is available, I don’t see why his death would stop any new investigations. You need prosecutors who care enough to tackle it, which is another matter given powerful forces against them. Same as with Epstein.
Date: August 10, 2019 09:09AM
cbelt3
FWIW the documents that he had are coming to light. And yes, he had photos, videos, records. Lots of folks are going down. Good.

I’m not sure what the status of those documents is now, unless they’re released for use in a civil case.

CNN

Posted by: Pam
Date: August 10, 2019 09:41AM
Civil cases can continue against his estate.

He was never going to talk. Nothing and no one was going to get him out of this. His only hope was bail and escape the country. While it's not out of the realm that it was a hit, it's very possible he ended his own life to escape a life in prison and no more little girls.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 10, 2019 09:57AM
It's unsurprising that he would wish to end his life but it's not a great look for the jailers.

The allegations in the documents released yesterday are pretty explosive.

The names of some prominent men Giuffre says she was directed to have sex with are spattered throughout the approximately 2,000 pages released Friday.

Besides (former Dem Senator George) Mitchell, they include: the late scientist Marvin Minsky, modeling scout Jean-Luc Brunel, former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, 71, Hyatt hotels magnate Tom Pritzker, 69, and prominent hedge fund manager Glenn Dubin, 62. Giuffre has previously identified Epstein’s lawyer, Alan Dershowitz, 80, and Prince Andrew, 59, as two of the people with whom she had sex.

[www.miamiherald.com]

And Ghislaine Maxwell is still alive and not under arrest and appears to know everything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 10:08AM by Lemon Drop.
Date: August 10, 2019 10:19AM
Yes, ends the case against Epstien. That's not to say that someone might still come after one or more of the men just now becoming known about.
Date: August 10, 2019 10:22AM
It will be interesting to see who controls the estate and how they decide to handle this. Let's be clear that there's no guarantee that materials seized for a criminal investigation will be made available to plaintiffs in civl suits. That's up to a judge.

rj
AKA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 10, 2019 10:24AM
Complete @#$%& that he's not alive. Someone, likely a number of people didn't do their job.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 10, 2019 10:30AM
mattkime
Complete @#$%& that he's not alive. Someone, likely a number of people didn't do their job.

or were better compensated to get another job done.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: August 10, 2019 10:32AM
Epstein's 2008 immunity deal also gave immunity to a number of unnamed co-conspirators. New criminal cases are needed against those people, including Ghislaine Maxwell.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 10, 2019 10:34AM
mattkime

I wouldn't be so quick to say that - someone may have done their job exactly as they were paid too. No proof of that, but it is rather convenient timing.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 10, 2019 10:39AM
If Epstein were about to blow the whistle on some Democratic Party person such as one of the Clintons, his death would be provoking 400 conspiracy theories before lunch.

Well, there's still a few hours until lunch in some parts of the country.

Seems to me that Trump was the one in some jeopardy, considering the stories about the partying that have been coming out.
Date: August 10, 2019 10:47AM
Ca Bob
If Epstein were about to blow the whistle on some Democratic Party person such as one of the Clintons, his death would be provoking 400 conspiracy theories before lunch.

Seems to me that Trump was the one in some jeopardy, considering the stories about the partying that have been coming out.

Trump is not implicated in the newly released documents, and neither is Bill Clinton.

The documents raise new questions about whether powerful people pressured federal prosecutors in Florida to give Epstein a secret non-prosecution agreement in 2008 that not only granted him immunity, but allowed an untold number of other people who have never been identified to escape sex trafficking charges.

One of the men accused of having sex with one of Epstein’s victims is former Maine Senator George Mitchell, the once formidable Senate Democratic minority leader who in 2008 — the same year the Epstein deal was finalized — was named one of Time magazine’s most influential people.

Mitchell flatly has denied the allegations, which were buried amid the thousands of documents that were part of a 2015 federal defamation lawsuit brought against Maxwell by Epstein victim Virginia Roberts Giuffre.

Giuffre, who turned 36 on Friday, names a number of other men in politics, academia and business that she says she was directed to have sex with. In a 2017 interview with the Miami Herald, Giuffre said that Epstein wanted her to please various influential people then so that he could learn about their sexual peccadilloes and use them as leverage if he needed to.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 10, 2019 10:54AM
Ca Bob

Oh, go check Twitter. Hillary and Bill are already accused of having killed him.

Posted by: sekker
Date: August 10, 2019 11:07AM
He tried to commit suicide last month.

Just like we have modern overt Nazis, we have modern eugenicists - he was one of them.

His sex trafficking was only part of the story.

[futurism.com]
Date: August 10, 2019 11:27AM
The Clinton haven't done themselves any favors in their connections to Epstein and Maxwell. Maxwell was at Chelsea's wedding and they were hanging out together for 2 years after the allegations against Epstein became pubic. Chelsea claims not to have known about the charges and its believable to me that she got snookered by the two of them because that was a big part of their game - ingratiating themselves to rich and powerful people through philanthropy and socializing.

[www.mercurynews.com]
Date: August 10, 2019 11:41AM
You know what I love about NOT being rich and powerful?

Pedophiles and hebephiles literally never invite me on vacation.

rj
AKA
Date: August 10, 2019 11:47AM
rjmacs
You know what I love about NOT being rich and powerful?

Pedophiles and hebephiles literally never invite me on vacation.

Right?

Seth Abramson: If you want to understand what an absolutely *enormous* scandal Epstein's death is, understand this: in the whole American criminal justice system, no inmate was more in danger of suicide or homicide than Epstein. And *everyone* in law enforcement knew it. And now Epstein's dead.
Date: August 10, 2019 12:20PM
Don't worry - AG Barr is going to make sure we get to the bottom of this!

rj
AKA
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 10, 2019 12:22PM
"Attorney General Barr ‘appalled’ by Epstein’s suicide, says inspector general and FBI investigating"

A very thorough investigation. We are putting our best men on it.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 10, 2019 01:19PM
I heard that it was Epstein introduced Cheeto to Melania. No, they weren't close at all. RollingEyesSmiley5

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 10, 2019 02:03PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I heard that it was Epstein introduced Cheeto to Melania. No, they weren't close at all. RollingEyesSmiley5

Given his reported predilections, at 26 Melania was probably to old for Epstein to be interested.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 10, 2019 02:22PM
I don't anybody dying, including him, but if it keeps me from constantly hearing about another distraction, then so be it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 10, 2019 03:46PM
Next time handcuff them to bed and put IV and catheter. Keep them alive
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 10, 2019 04:48PM
From a WaPo commenter:

“If you’re surprised Jeffrey Epstein committed suicide, imagine how surprised he was.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 10, 2019 06:41PM
I don’t think Epstein would have ever talked, or admitted guilt. But he knew he was going to spend the rest of his life in prison. He was a pedophile and a sex addict. He couldn’t even abstain for those months he was in Fla jail part time. I could definitely see him killing himself.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 10, 2019 07:17PM
Didn't take long for 45 to figure out what really happened.

President Donald Trump retweeted a conspiracy theory on Saturday evening alleging without evidence that former President Bill Clinton was connected to the death of wealthy financier and accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, hours after Epstein was found dead by apparent suicide in his federal prison cell.

"Died of SUICIDE on 24/7 SUICIDE WATCH ? Yeah right! How does that happen," wrote Terrence K. Williams, a conservative commentator and comedian, in the message retweeted by Trump. In a two-minute long selfie video recording, Williams alleged that the Clintons were responsible for Epstein's death.

[www.nbcnews.com]
Date: August 10, 2019 07:36PM
Trump sits around with a “Wheel of Fortune” type of possible choices when weighing in on something. Unfortunately, every impulse available is Asinine, Pandering, Lying, Berating, Conspiracy, Racist, Misogynist, Victim-blaming, (there’s room for more).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 278
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018