advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Politics continues to be an old person's endeavor.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 12, 2019 08:51AM
Another story about how young people tend to lean left politically (because guess what? It's freaking NATURAL to do so ... ) but gosh darn it, the Party of the "left" isn't pure enough for them.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Will they vote Democrat sufficiently to gain power to improve things from within? Er, doesn't that stifle my morally pyrrhic victory of staying home? I demand satisfaction TODAY.

Will they continue historically low voter turnout, yet lament being ignored by mainstream Democrats? No points are awarded for the correct answer here.

As the article states, voter participation among the young increased in last year and is expected to even greater next year. That's apparently "how bad" it is for them.

Today's more liberal faction of the party, a few of which are actually running for President(!) and/or have made it to Congress, will not be part of the problem of imperfection if they (for example) wind up voting for Biden. Will millennials who admire them act similarly?

If I'm "talking down to them" or making them feel stupid, how is that better done?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Politics continues to be an old person's endeavor.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 12, 2019 11:10AM
I demand satisfaction TODAY.

I think this is it, in a nutshell. Everything, immediately. In an era of one day package delivery, how can we be expected to wait for anything? No "baby steps" allowed to get to victory. Naturally, no one is motivated when you tell them to hang on and wait, so the change envisioned must be within sight, but not necessarily completed by tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 11:11AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 12, 2019 11:31AM
To be fair, much of politics is designed to repel.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 12, 2019 11:35AM
If there was a draft involved, the youth would be properly motivated.
(Sorry, my bone spurs are acting up again)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 12, 2019 11:38AM
Steve G.
If there was a draft involved, the youth would be properly motivated.
(Sorry, my bone spurs are acting up again)

Why would we have a draft right now? Itching for another land war?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 12, 2019 11:48AM
I wouldn't have a problem with 2 years of mandatory public service with no deferrments. Forrest Service, Peace Corps, Conservation Corps/Earth Day style cleanup, TSA, Border Patrol/Armed Forces (thousands of young women rotating through might do wonders to help flush out toxic masculinity culture).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 12, 2019 12:00PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I wouldn't have a problem with 2 years of mandatory public service with no deferrments. Forrest Service, Peace Corps, Conservation Corps/Earth Day style cleanup, TSA, Border Patrol/Armed Forces (thousands of young women rotating through might do wonders to help flush out toxic masculinity culture).

For the vast majority of those involved it would likely be the greatest time of their lives. The 3 years my father was in the Army, were the most productive and promising years of his life.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 12, 2019 12:02PM
Filliam H. Muffman

13th Amendment to the Constitution:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
Date: August 12, 2019 12:11PM
Ted King
Filliam H. Muffman

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Criminalize non-sanctioned births?

"But did you obtain the correct visa before being born, or did you enter the country illegally by crossing the cervix without proper authorization?"

rj
AKA
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 12, 2019 12:29PM
rjmacs
Ted King
Filliam H. Muffman

Criminalize non-sanctioned births?

"But did you obtain the correct visa before being born, or did you enter the country illegally by crossing the cervix without proper authorization?"

Just tie it into all the free stuff they want. Skin in the game.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 12, 2019 12:32PM
I wasn't talking about slavery. People would be compensated like how the Army pays recruits. It could also be a way to qualify for Medicaid for All.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 12, 2019 01:17PM
Language is key. "Involuntary" isn't the same as "compulsory." That's why we've been able to have military drafts in the past.

vision, I think you've just found your V.P. running mate in Filliam.
Date: August 12, 2019 01:26PM
Ted King

Here's an explanation of why that argument hasn't held for conscription.

rj
AKA
Date: August 12, 2019 02:15PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I wasn't talking about slavery. People would be compensated like how the Army pays recruits. It could also be a way to qualify for Medicaid for All.

I was talking about the "involuntary servitude" part. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
Date: August 12, 2019 02:31PM
rjmacs
Ted King

Right. In other rulings, the SC has said that mandatory community service is also does not violate the "involuntary servitude" words of the 13th Amendment. Both sets of rulings are BS rationalizations as far as I'm concerned.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 12, 2019 02:43PM
Ted King
rjmacs
Ted King

Right. In other rulings, the SC has said that mandatory community service is also does not violate the "involuntary servitude" words of the 13th Amendment. Both sets of rulings are BS rationalizations as far as I'm concerned.

*click* big grin smiley
Date: August 12, 2019 03:16PM
deckeda
Another story about how young people tend to lean left politically (because guess what? It's freaking NATURAL to do so ... ) but gosh darn it, the Party of the "left" isn't pure enough for them.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Will they vote Democrat sufficiently to gain power to improve things from within? Er, doesn't that stifle my morally pyrrhic victory of staying home? I demand satisfaction TODAY.

Will they continue historically low voter turnout, yet lament being ignored by mainstream Democrats? No points are awarded for the correct answer here.

As the article states, voter participation among the young increased in last year and is expected to even greater next year. That's apparently "how bad" it is for them.

Today's more liberal faction of the party, a few of which are actually running for President(!) and/or have made it to Congress, will not be part of the problem of imperfection if they (for example) wind up voting for Biden. Will millennials who admire them act similarly?

If I'm "talking down to them" or making them feel stupid, how is that better done?

One huge, gaping misapprehension I see nowadays is that very few people understand you win battles, but the war never ends.

There’s a constant refrain that past generations ‘haven’t done anything about X’. Once you’re out of the diaper league “doing” something takes — trigger warning — time. Sometimes a LOT of it. The bigger the issue the longer you better be prepared to dig in.

Doing something nowadays usually means you’re going to, at some point, go up against enormous power, wealth and influence coupled with people with a very short list of things they won’t do to get their way.

You can and will have victories. Enjoy them. Capitalize on them. Protect them with everything you have. Because your opponents won’t stop coming. And if you think you can wait them out? Just hold on until “the dinosaurs” die off? Good luck. Because you’re not up against a generation, you’re up against human nature.

Greed, ignorance, selfishness, hate, all the bad stuff, it gets born anew in every generation. Every generation has had and will have its Nixons, its Trumps, it’s Wall Street Bankers, its tobacco industry, its NRA, its Martin Shkreli, its Maggie Thatcher, its Elizabeth Holmes.

And the good fight will continue. We will win. Things will get better. The wheel will grind fine and it will grind slowly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 03:22PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: August 12, 2019 04:37PM
Blankity Blank

*click* big grin smiley

Sorry, could you connect the dots for me on that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 04:38PM by Ted King.
Date: August 13, 2019 07:01AM
Ted King
Blankity Blank

*click* big grin smiley

He's encouraging you to "click" the link and register to run for office.

rj
AKA
Date: August 13, 2019 07:32AM
rjmacs
Ted King
Blankity Blank

*click* big grin smiley

He's encouraging you to "click" the link and register to run for office.

Just a little ‘Don’t like the weather? Make your own.’ ball busting. Just a little. big grin smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018