Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
San José mayor proposes gun (liability) insurance
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 12, 2019 02:01PM
[Edit: Wow, that was a weird typo in the subject line. Sorry!]

[www.axios.com]

"Opponents of the insurance measures say they infringe on Second Amendment rights by creating a new financial burden for gun owners. The insurance and firearm industries have argued in the past that property or casualty insurance does not cover intentional criminal behavior."

financial burden
Not a problem, 2A says no where gun ownership need be affordable. See also 1934 National Firearms Act (a tax that effectively ended large-scale gangster violence.)

intentional behavior
Not a problem, since the firearms industry only sells to law-abiding citizens (right? RIGHT?) and since the insurance industry already uses actuary tables as tea leaves.

I'm not actually an advocate of liability insurance here. I think most of the insurance industry is a racket to begin with, and there are too many scenarios where the shooter's family would wind up liable, unfairly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 04:00PM by deckeda.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: San José mayor proposes gun (liability) insurance
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 12, 2019 09:25PM
I like the idea of liability insurance. The insurance would protect the good guy with a gun who accidentally shoots innocents when he is trying to stop the bad guy with a gun.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 09:27PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 13, 2019 06:15AM
Speedy
I like the idea of liability insurance. The insurance would protect the good guy with a gun who accidentally shoots innocents when he is trying to stop the bad guy with a gun.

Home/renter's/umbrella insurance would already provide liability coverage in that situation.

The idea of separate insurance for gun owners is merely a backdoor way of trying to make ownership too expensive for nearly all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 06:18AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 13, 2019 07:07AM
Bill in NC
Speedy

Home/renter's/umbrella insurance would already provide liability coverage in that situation.

The idea of separate insurance for gun owners is merely a backdoor way of trying to make ownership too expensive for nearly all.

That’s the idea!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 13, 2019 08:09AM
Bill in NC
Speedy

The insurance thing is different from say, the tax thing. Special taxes have often been a bit disingenuous as to their purpose, but liability insurance is far more specific: it lets people know the tool is highly dangerous, in a climate where it’s “assumed” by so many to be no big deal so long as X,Y, and Z magically fall into place.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 13, 2019 11:01AM
FWIW... many insurers require special riders for gun owners. Free Market !
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 14, 2019 02:00PM
cbelt3
FWIW... many insurers require special riders for gun owners. Free Market !

Cite?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2019 02:00PM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018