Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Another Walmart shooting
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 13, 2019 08:11AM
Hey look on the bright side, it was “only a pistol.”

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Oh, and 3 good-guys-with-guns drew, one of which killed the shooter.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another Walmart shooting
Date: August 13, 2019 08:14AM
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 13, 2019 09:09AM
deckeda

[www.washingtonpost.com]

i think i need to start shopping at Target instead though that’s an unfortunate name for a store these days.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 13, 2019 09:49AM
Eh, it’s not like civilians with guns is never going to have a positive outcome, it’s the chaos that comes in between that’s the problem. A million monkeys at a million typewriters and all that.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 13, 2019 09:58AM
Armed carjacking by a criminal with a record. Walmart was the accidental destination, not the target. Title is designed to produce reactions but is not truthful.

There are 'no go areas' in Cleveland ... police patrol two-up armed and armored. I recall when President Obama visited some years ago talking about civic pride and recovery there were two gun murders less than a mile from where he was giving his speech. WHILE he was giving his speech. Only a blip in the local media. Hell, one of my son's college professors was killed when a teen driveby gang shooter killed another teenager. One of the bullets traveled an extra 200 yards and struck the professor in the head while he was driving home, killing him instantly.

The amount of gun violence in this country is staggering. And we are so inured to it that only the murder of a dozen or more people gets national attention.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 13, 2019 10:05AM
graylocks
deckeda

[www.washingtonpost.com]

i think i need to start shopping at Target instead though that’s an unfortunate name for a store these days.

In Thurston County it seems that Costco is the "go-to" when the gunfire starts:

Darren Gossler of Elma told the Tacoma News Tribune that he was in the store when the shooting started. He tweeted: “I was in the dairy section. Heard about 5 or 6 pops. Ran out a side emergency exit and attempted to run to my car in the parking lot but heard 4 more pops in the lot. Caught a quick glimpse of a male with what appeared to be a handgun. Ducked under some cars and ran to Costco.”

Anyway doesn't look as though there was shooting inside the store, it all went down in the parking lot and at other car-jacking-spree scenes prior to that. And yes the armed bystander who killed this violent person while police were en route probably saved many lives.

The Thurston County Coroner’s Office on Monday identified the dead carjack suspect as Tim Day, 44, of McCleary, Grays Harbor County. Day has a criminal history, including violations of a domestic-violence protection order, felony assault and making death threats.

Violent crime is pretty rare in that area. This happened in a very small town (Tumwater has about 17K people and Thurston County about 250K) in a mostly rural area where hunting is popular, I would expect a lot of people to have guns there.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 13, 2019 10:15AM
cbelt3
There are 'no go areas' in Cleveland ... police patrol two-up armed and armored.

That phrase is racist; it is nearly exclusively used to describe places populated by Black and brown people, whether they are French and Muslim or American and AME.

I know you didn't mean it to carry racist freight, but it doesn't require your intent to do so.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: August 13, 2019 10:33AM
I didn't see cbelt's post prior to posting, I was reading the articles because I hadn't heard about this. My comments about Tumwater being a low crime area were not a response to his comments about Cleveland.

I don't know what the fact that Cleveland does have a very high crime rate has to do with this incident in southwestern Washington state.
Date: August 13, 2019 10:58AM
rjmacs
cbelt3
There are 'no go areas' in Cleveland ... police patrol two-up armed and armored.

That phrase is racist; it is nearly exclusively used to describe places populated by Black and brown people, whether they are French and Muslim or American and AME.

I know you didn't mean it to carry racist freight, but it doesn't require your intent to do so.

rjmacs.... I use the term from a police perspective which has no specific racist term. While it's used by racists, the term itself is not racist.

These are POOR urban areas. There are also poor urban areas east of me that are unsage areas. Most of the people in those areas are melanin deficient like myself. Skin tone is NOT the root cause of crime. Poverty and hopelessness is.

Skin tone is often a factor in the human tribal imperative to colocate with others 'like' each other. Tribal collection also includes cultural elements, beliefs, etc... Skin tone has often been a factor in American socio-economic success or failure due to a variety of reasons and attitudes that encompass the term Racism.

Honestly the fewer things we apply the 'racist' flag to the better our understanding of each other is. Poverty isn't a color thing. It's a societal thing.
Date: August 13, 2019 11:28AM
I can agreeably disagree with you, cbelt3, and I do.

rj
AKA
Date: August 13, 2019 11:47AM
cbelt3
Armed carjacking by a criminal with a record. Walmart was the accidental destination, not the target. Title is designed to produce reactions but is not truthful.

Beg pardon? Why not just claim it’s clickbait. Did the kid who drove for 10 hours to El Paso seek out their Walmart? He’s widely quoted as being there (at least in the area) because he was hungry.

It’s an easy, commonly-used destination for regular business, which makes it very much apropos to mention in the context of a shooting, regardless of a shooter’s intended destination.
Date: August 13, 2019 12:26PM
Next up: the project to divide True Citizens from those who are mere leeches on society and therefore unworthy of theirs. Nullifications to follow with light refreshments.

rj
AKA
Date: August 13, 2019 12:41PM
rjmacs
I can agreeably disagree with you, cbelt3, and I do.
No problem ! thumbsup smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 13, 2019 03:41PM
The OP’s link is for an article dated June 18, 2018.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 13, 2019 05:23PM
Speedy

That would explain why I didn't see it in the paper.
The carjacker had a serious drug problem; the man who shot and killed him is a pastor (apparently a good shot too).
Date: August 13, 2019 06:16PM
Speedy

Please accept my mea culpa. It was displayed on their home page for whatever reason.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 13, 2019 07:44PM
There seems to be a shooting at a Walmart* on at least a weekly basis. Last year, Walmart* racked up four shootings and at least one riot just during Thanksgivijg Week. I think it's a combination of their corporate policy of hiring and advertising to the most disadvantaged groups, and also selling guns and ammo.

Tumwater is one of the few locations where there is a Costco right next to a Walmart*. Costco's membership agreement prohibits members from carrying weapons unless they are in law enforcement.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: August 13, 2019 09:12PM
FWIW I sent them a note, asking why it was republished today. It’s currently the “2nd most read” link today on their site. We’ll see if they publish a disclaimer tomorrow.

I briefly and occasionally had access to the AJC’s (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) CMS when I worked there years ago. I don’t know how large the database is but if you weren’t careful you could “go back in time” and with a checkmark republish an old story. (Normally a site layout shouldn’t allow it to happen.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 317
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018