advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Latest Brexit - Boris threatens to kick rebelling conservatives out of party (UPDATED)
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 02, 2019 08:37AM
What with Boris shutting down Parliament to ram through his no-deal Brexit catastrophe, some of his own party have had enough:

An alliance of opposition lawmakers are plotting with rebels in Johnson's Conservative Party to take control of parliament and tie the government's hands with legislation that would block a no-deal exit, fearing leaving without a deal will be ruinous.

Gee, ya think? You mean it’s not going to be all rainbows and unicorns like promised?

But Boris strikes back!

Johnson's enforcers warned rebels that if they voted against the government they would be kicked out of his Conservative Party...Johnson, the face of the 2016 Vote Leave campaign, has cast rebels as EU "collaborators"...

My way or the highway comes to the UK. Bonus points for the gratuitous WWII reference.

You know, part of me actually wants Boris to succeed in crashing out of the EU, since I think it will amply show itself to be a disaster and likely tar the conservatives for years. But most of me can’t bring myself to cheer for something that will hurt all of Britain just to satisfy a xenophobic minority.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 08:48AM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Latest Brexit - Boris threatens to kick rebelling conservatives out of party
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 02, 2019 09:19AM
Who does Boris think he is - Mitch McConnell?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Re: Latest Brexit - Boris threatens to kick rebelling conservatives out of party
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 02, 2019 11:50AM
Fewer than 100,000 people voted to have Johnson as their PM. Out of a nation with 46.5M eligible voters. .13% Yes they need a national election to at least have the leadership the majority wants. Won't necessarily stop this ship from going down but this current situation is a particularly ugly way to have that happen.

The election was the first time that a party membership has directly elected Britain’s prime minister. Boris Johnson has been placed in No 10 not by the British public or their elected representatives, but by 92,153 Conservative members, a group that collectively accounts for 0.13 per cent of the British population – marking a fundamental shift in where power is located. Jeremy Hunt meanwhile received 46,656 votes.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 02, 2019 04:02PM
You have x amount of political capital. When hustlers play everybody against one another only the hustlers win. You've thrown away everything it took you centuries to win.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 03, 2019 10:12AM
There's some crazy stuff going on in Parliament this morning. People getting up and going to sit with other people in order to snub Johnson.

I don't understand it all but it's theatrical.

I follow Larry the Cat on twitter. He lives at Number 10.

Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office. I'm a 12 year old tabby, in position longer than the leader of any UK political party. Unofficial. Not on Instagram.

[twitter.com]

Larry explains things pretty well and generally has more sense than politicians. At this point Larry should probably be the one to fix Brexit.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 03, 2019 10:38AM
UK Parliament has always made better television than the sonorous proceedings of Congress.
Re: Latest Brexit - Boris threatens to kick rebelling conservatives out of party (UPDATED)
Date: September 04, 2019 09:22AM
Update: if you didn’t hear, members of Boris’ own party showed some integrity that we could only wish that our GOP had.

On Tuesday, Parliament voted, 328 to 301, to seize control so it could debate a bill that would attempt to prevent the United Kingdom from leaving the European Union without a plan in place on October 31. About 20 members of Johnson’s Conservative Party rebelled against him for the vote. The vote was greeted with cheers, and cries of “not a good start, Boris!”

In addition, Boris’ authoritarian instincts in driving his country off a cliff, largely for the sake of xenophobia, led one Conservative to switch parties to the opposition, thus eliminating Boris’ one-seat parliamentary majority.

Boris takes careful aim.

In a decidedly non-British snit, Boris now says he is going to see all 20 members of his own party expelled for having the temerity to oppose him in the name of common sense. And:

Johnson also threatened to call an election “which I don’t want and you don’t want.” In other words: I’m not going back to the EU to ask for more time, and if you pass this legislation forcing me to do it, I’m going to have no choice but to go back to the people.

Actually, the opposition is more than happy to “go back to the (ever-more-Brexit-skeptical) people” for new elections, but only after the possibility of a disastrous no-deal Brexit is legislatively off the table (which is looking likely, and soon).

But who knows how Boris will respond to that upcoming snub.
Re: Latest Brexit - Boris threatens to kick rebelling conservatives out of party (UPDATED)
Date: September 04, 2019 02:40PM
...and it’s done:

Having won control of the legislative agenda on Tuesday night, lawmakers moved quickly on a bill that would rule out Mr. Johnson’s plan for a withdrawal by the end of next month even if there is no deal, which many say would cause chaos. On Wednesday afternoon by a vote of 327 to 299, they pushed the bill through a second stage in the two-step process.

The bill now goes to the House of Lords, which must give its assent.

...which it will. Fortunately, Boris doesn’t have veto power like King ...um...President Trump on this side of the pond.

In fact, there’s not a lot left of Boris at all:

Mr. Johnson had confronted on Wednesday a bleak scene scattered with the remnants of his Brexit policy and raising the possibility that the issue could destroy his premiership just as it had the two previous Conservative prime ministers, but more rapidly.

...the immediate effect for the Conservatives has been traumatic, and has reduced the government’s working majority in Parliament to minus-43 from one.

Date: September 04, 2019 02:47PM
BTW, the Pound has surged around 2% since they relieved Captain Queeg of his duties Parliament decided not to drive off this particular cliff next month.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018