Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
US manufacturing now officially in recession
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 03, 2019 10:10AM
...must be the Democrats fault.

Bloomberg:

U.S. factory activity unexpectedly contracted in August for the first time in three years as shrinking orders, production and hiring pushed a widely followed measure of manufacturing to its lowest level since January 2016.

The Institute for Supply Management’s purchasing managers...gauge of new orders dropped to a more than seven-year low.

...Stocks extended declines and the yield on 10-year Treasuries fell sharply Tuesday after the data was released.

Manufacturing is technically already in a recession in the U.S. with a Federal Reserve measure of output declining in two consecutive quarters. The malaise is consistent with developments in the sector around the world. By one measure, global factory activity has declined 15 straight months and contracted in the last three.

A measure of export orders, a proxy of overseas demand, sank to 43.3, the lowest reading since April 2009 during the depths of the last recession.

“Trade wars are good, and easy to win” - Mr. I’ll rescue American manufacturing

Well, the American consumer just needs to keep buying...umm...stuff from other countries, I guess, since we’re making less here.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: US manufacturing now officially in recession
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 03, 2019 10:20AM
BTW, did I mention that “beautiful, clean coal” jobs continue (thankfully!) to also contract, despite Trump’s best attempts to reinvigorate global warming?

‘Still struggling.’ Kentucky coal jobs drop significantly in recent months.

Months of upheaval has left analysts asking, "what’s next" for Wyoming’s coal industry

In Trump country, a group of coal miners rebel over lost jobs, missed paychecks
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 03, 2019 11:17AM
good comment:
'Trump has taken a lot of credit for the economy he does not deserve. 40 quarters of continuous growth --- 31 of them under Obama. When the going gets tough Cadet Bone Spurs will whine: "I inherited a mess .... Its Obama's fault."'
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 03, 2019 11:55AM
pdq
...must be the Democrats fault.

Hell, yeah it is. Thanks, Obama.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: hal
Date: September 03, 2019 12:11PM
It's not fair to blame it all on Obama - I'm sure Hillary shares some responsibility too.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 03, 2019 12:20PM
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 03, 2019 12:40PM
hal
It's not fair to blame it all on Obama - I'm sure Hillary shares some responsibility too.

AOC is apparently the most powerful politician on the planet, according to republicans. So she is certainly to blame.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 03, 2019 12:47PM
All those naysayers in the media. They poisoned the waters with their negativity.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 03, 2019 12:51PM
The problem with the last tax cuts is all of that $$ was wasted and is not available to jump-start from this next recession.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 03, 2019 01:26PM
Steve G.
good comment:
'Trump has taken a lot of credit for the economy he does not deserve. 40 quarters of continuous growth --- 31 of them under Obama. When the going gets tough Cadet Bone Spurs will whine: "I inherited a mess .... Its Obama's fault."'

I thought it was incredible that he said that lie ("I inherited a mess") repeatedly right from the start.

sekker
The problem with the last tax cuts is all of that $$ was wasted and is not available to jump-start from this next recession.

agree smiley

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 03, 2019 03:04PM
Great reads, thanks!

pdq
BTW, did I mention that “beautiful, clean coal” jobs continue (thankfully!) to also contract, despite Trump’s best attempts to reinvigorate global warming?

‘Still struggling.’ Kentucky coal jobs drop significantly in recent months.

Months of upheaval has left analysts asking, "what’s next" for Wyoming’s coal industry

In Trump country, a group of coal miners rebel over lost jobs, missed paychecks

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 03, 2019 03:29PM
AllGold

sekker

agree smiley

It really pisses me off. Supply side needs to go into the dustbin of economic history with "norquister" becoming a slur that economists hurl at each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 03:30PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 03, 2019 04:06PM
It should be drowned in a bathtub.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018