advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Every new home in England will be built with an EV charger...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 05, 2019 12:10AM
[cleantechnica.com]

It's not quite the law yet, but is in the final stages before regs are published. There's already a big push for home EV chargers with a government subsidy.

As of 2040, the sale of non-electric vehicles will be banned in England. (Final regs are far off, but it looks like ICE hybrids that can go 50 miles on a charge will be allowed.)

As of this year, the UK has more electric car charging stations than fuel stations.

Meanwhile, in recidivist neo-luddite America...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 12:11AM by Sarcany.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Every new home in England will be built with an EV charger...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2019 08:01AM
Is there a standard for such a thing? I would think the main requirement would simply having enough electrical supply to the house. Has that been constant?

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 05, 2019 10:36AM
There are several ‘standards’. Mainly I think they are going to push for upgraded services, perhaps to 200 amps, for each new residence in a country where a 60 amp service is probably the norm. My 29 y.o. home has a 200 amp service with a 100 amp panel in my garage feeding a 60 amp outlet (NEMA 6-50) for my welder. I plug in a Clipper Creek 32 amp Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment into that outlet and then plug the other end into my Chevy Volt or Cadillac ELR.

They show this pic:

which may show a blue extension cable plugged into an EVSE. USA EVSEs have the cable between the EVSE and the vehicle permanently attached/inline to the EVSE. This is a pic of my EVSE:

I don’t know how they can mandate anything less than 100 amps to moderately future proof the EVSE. My 32 amp/240 Volt EVSE is overkill for my two cars (4.5 hours to a full charge, the limiting factor is the actual charger in my vehicles, not my EVSE) but would be just about right to recharge a Tesla overnight. And then there is DC fast charging...

For more info see:

[www.pluglesspower.com]

My wife’s parent’s 50 y.o. house (in Mexico City) has only a 60 amp service and no ground. Without the ground I cannot use my traveling 110v 8 amp or 12 amp EVSE to recharge our car when staying there. Her sister’s 20 y.o. (very large) home in Mexico City has only a 100 amp service. It would not have had a ground except my brother-in-law, a civil engineer, supplied and pounded down a 10 foot ground rod himself for the service. His electrical contractor saw no need for it and none of the outlets in their home has a ground.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2019 10:52AM
>His electrical contractor saw no need for it and none of the outlets in their home has a ground.

Whoa.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 05, 2019 11:14AM
mattkime
>His electrical contractor saw no need for it and none of the outlets in their home has a ground.

Whoa.

Which is why, y’know, we have things like building codes and other (shhhh!) regulations.

Certain people, currently with too much power and not enough thought, see such things only as useless impediments to be removed (even when those so regulated want the regulations)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 05, 2019 11:46AM
Heh. My in-laws have two places with mostly original 1939 wiring. Each has since had new boxes installed. One supposedly had new wiring done to the main level but I know that’s not true because you can’t get behind the wood shiplap-like walls without cutting into them, and because the new outlets they got are ungrounded. Much cheaper to buy ungrounded outlets for $1.50 each than 59-cent grounded ones which wouldn’t meet code.

I told them I’d never plug in anything I cared about.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 05, 2019 01:53PM
I don't see where they have room for new houses.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 05, 2019 02:06PM
Having lived in Buffalo, I'd rather not journey outside to plug in Ole Betsy when it's -5°F and snow is hitting hard.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 05, 2019 03:34PM
Wiring in my wife's home country - this is the norm, not the exception. I don't see them being ready for EV charging.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 05, 2019 04:10PM
UK population - 68M
US population - 329M
UK landmass - 93,628 sq miles
US landmass - 3.79 million sq miles
UK road - 397 K Km
US road - 6.8 M Km

UK Average home electric consumption - 3,700 kWh/Yr
US Average home electric consumption - 10.400 kWh/yr

UK home voltage - 230VAC
US home voltage - 115 VAC

Not really a surprise that UK homes don't have high electrical capacity. The proposed regulation is for new homes. One can still expect them to use less electric than US homes.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 05, 2019 11:10PM
Steve G.
Having lived in Buffalo, I'd rather not journey outside to plug in Ole Betsy when it's -5°F and snow is hitting hard.

You plug in when you arrive home and unplug when you leave. We have a garage and the cable is only four feet or less from the charging port (located just forward of the driver’s door) on each car. It beats pumping gas in the winter. You can preheat the cabin of most EVs through an iPhone app.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 06, 2019 06:32PM
If I lived in Buffalo, I'd rather not venture outside until I got to Savannah

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 06, 2019 07:30PM
Ombligo
If I lived in Buffalo, I'd rather not venture outside until I got to Savannah

I know someone who moved from Rochester because of the bad weather...to coastal North Carolina.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018