advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Boris Johnson says 'I'd rather be dead in a ditch' than agree Brexit extension - Any Comments?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 05, 2019 02:03PM
Okay folks, please post your thoughts on what's happening in British politics. (Please feel free to compare it with America, Turkey, Argentina, Brazil, Israel, Hong Kong or anyplace else things are going haywire.)

To bring you up to date, here's a BBC article today about what's happening
[www.bbc.com]
Boris Johnson has said he would "rather be dead in a ditch" than ask the EU to delay Brexit beyond 31 October.

But the PM declined to say if he would resign if a postponement - which he has repeatedly ruled out - had to happen.

Mr Johnson has said he would be prepared to leave the EU without a deal, but Labour says stopping a no-deal Brexit is its priority.

The prime minister's younger brother, Jo Johnson, announced earlier that he was standing down as a minister and MP.

Speaking in West Yorkshire, Boris Johnson said Jo Johnson, who backed Remain in the 2016 referendum, was a "fantastic guy" but they had had "differences" over the EU.

Announcing his resignation earlier in the day, the MP for Orpington, south-east London, said he had been "torn between family loyalty and the national interest".

During his speech at a police training centre in Wakefield, the prime minister reiterated his call for an election, which he wants to take place on 15 October.

He argued it was "the only way to get this thing [Brexit] moving".

"We either go forward with our plan to get a deal, take the country out on 31 October which we can or else somebody else should be allowed to see if they can keep us in beyond 31 October," Mr Johnson said.

He told the audience he hated "banging on about Brexit" but accused MPs of having "torpedoed" the UK's negotiating position with the EU by voting for a Labour-backed bill designed to block a no-deal exit on 31 October.

However, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has accused the PM of having "no plan to get a new deal".

The House of Commons rejected Mr Johnson's plan for a snap election in a vote on Wednesday.

But the government has announced that MPs will get another chance to back this plan next Monday.

The fresh vote on an early election is scheduled just before Parliament is due to be prorogued - or suspended - from next week until 14 October.

Opposition parties are holding talks about how to respond to the prime minister's call for a mid-October election, amid concern over whether it should be delayed until after an extension has been agreed to prevent a no-deal Brexit on 31 October.

Meanwhile, Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has warned Mr Johnson that he "cannot win an election, whenever it comes, if the Brexit Party stands against him".

However, if they were to make a pact during a general election "with a clear policy, we'd be unstoppable", he told the BBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 02:28PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Boris Johnson says 'I'd rather be dead in a ditch' than agree Brexit extension
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 05, 2019 02:06PM
Same Russian Agenda that gave us Trump. Sorry, UK. We share your pain and embarrassment....
Re: Boris Johnson says 'I'd rather be dead in a ditch' than agree Brexit extension - Any Comments?
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 05, 2019 02:51PM
"'I'd rather be dead in a ditch' than agree Brexit extension"

At this point, the country might take him up on that one.
Re: Boris Johnson says 'I'd rather be dead in a ditch' than agree Brexit extension - Any Comments?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 05, 2019 03:16PM
Best summary I've seen:

Brexit: The vote to take back what we never lost in order to lose everything we currently have.

What to do at this point? Johnson resigns; coalition government with some caretaker as PM agrees a scheme for a new special envoy to negotiate a real, detailed Brexit—complete with details of what that actually means for the Irelands and for Scotland. Then hold a referendum on whether to go through with that Brexit or not. Brussels will act peeved but should see it as a second chance to keep the UK in the Union.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: September 05, 2019 05:18PM
Mr Downtown
Best summary I've seen:

Brexit: The vote to take back what we never lost in order to lose everything we currently have.

The EU has made it clear that they are not going to give more than they already agreed to, back when what's her name was Prime Minister. The UK could have had that much, but all the dithering and delays will probably inspire the Europeans to dig in even harder. One possible (beneficial) effect of another delay (and then another and another) would be to effectively end the Brexit. It seems to have taken a while for a solid majority to agree that the no-deal Brexit is not acceptable. I think the Europeans have figured out that the pro-Brexit side in Britain are toddlers holding their breath and threatening to turn blue -- and the EU is willing to let them.

Perhaps there will be a little back-swing of the pendulum on both sides of the Atlantic, away from conservatism and towards a bit more rationality. We'll see.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2019 05:22PM
Hrmph, I was hoping they'd crash out of the EU and serve as a warning for us. Seemed like that was the best that might happen.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 05, 2019 06:15PM
In a month he'll not be able "to stand it" and "want out of here."

I suspect the line to assist him in leaving will be long.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 05, 2019 06:27PM
Isn't Brexit something that in reality the majority doesn't actually want?

Yes, the majority voted for it. But I read that a lot of people were snowed by all the hype and didn't realize what it actually meant. Plus, lots of people said they voted for it, but didn't expect it to actually pass. I bet if another election were held that it wouldn't pass.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 05, 2019 06:53PM
Voting again is one potential possibility but as the path stands now, Brexit must happen. People getting snookered to make it happen isn't against the law. At any rate, Britain's rules dictated the new PM must be chosen from the due-paying members of that party ... which represented a tiny percentage of the population.

"Democracy" is a fungible thing.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2019 07:50PM
'Brexit means brexit' - my favorite saying on the topic.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 05, 2019 08:15PM
Bo Jo's bro Jo says no.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 05, 2019 09:31PM
Dear Boris,

We’ll take Dead in a ditch please.

Thanks ever so much.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 06, 2019 03:40PM
Favorite headline: "Floppy Johnson Can't Get an Election"
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 06, 2019 06:27PM
GREATEST HEADLINE EVER!

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: davester
Date: September 06, 2019 09:16PM
Ombligo
GREATEST HEADLINE EVER!

That is brilliant!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 321
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018