advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
So it's a three horse race now? That's what the media is saying...
Posted by: hal
Date: September 08, 2019 02:47PM
[www.politico.com]

Former Vice President Joe Biden at 29 percent, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders at 19 percent and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 18 percent are the top contenders by far in the Post-ABC poll — attracting the support of approximately two-thirds of those registered Democratic voters polled.

California Sen. Kamala Harris sits in fourth place with 7 percent, followed by South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg at 4 percent.

Only four others drew more than 1 percent support.

Look for Kamela and Mayor Pete to get crazy in the next debate. I gotta think that Biden's number are really a placeholder right now, but who knows...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So it's a three horse race now? That's what the media is saying...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 08, 2019 02:55PM
Nominee Biden isn't going to provide a lot of excitement. Not sure Bernie can motivate people like last time where Warren maybe can. If the Dems have any shot of taking back the Senate along with the WH they're going to need a candidate that lights a fire out there.

Of the three, that's probably Warren.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 08, 2019 03:06PM
RgrF
Nominee Biden isn't going to provide a lot of excitement. Not sure Bernie can motivate people like last time where Warren maybe can. If the Dems have any shot of taking back the Senate along with the WH they're going to need a candidate that lights a fire out there.

with unity!

RgrF
Of the three, that's probably Warren.

It's looking that way to me too right now, but lots can happen before the final vote....
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 08, 2019 03:09PM
Not my favorite for either, but a Biden-Harris ticket would be fine with me.

Biden's too old. Trump: ditto.

Biden's too prone to gaffes. Trump: Are you kidding me?

The Obama-Biden years look awfully good now to nearly everyone except dead-end Deplorables. Let Uncle Joe take his turn, and if he's still around in 4 years, he can step down and pass the torch to the future in Harris.

Just my two bits.
Date: September 08, 2019 03:27PM
I can't stand Harris. She has a prosecutor mentality. During her stint in CA she originated and backed the idea of jailing parents of truant kids. It became law and she was suitably horrified when she found right wing prosecutors actually doing what she proposed.

She just another self-interested self-promoting politician, not an original progressive idea in her head. She hopes to become the female Obama but can't hold a candle to him intellectually.

She'd not be a good President.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 08, 2019 06:18PM
I think that Warren-Harris would be a great ticket.

Warren knows how to plan and how to execute. Harris is a good administrator and would make a good veep.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 08, 2019 06:44PM
My quibble with Warren as VP would be that the position is typically a placeholder intended to never steal the boss’s limelight. I don’t see her wanting to be silenced, essentially. She’s a good Senatorial firebrand. (But she’d be a good president, too. And probably better than Bernie.)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 08, 2019 07:25PM
I wonder if Beto or Castro as Biden's VP could put Texas in play? If Texas flips, it is well and Truly over for Trumski!

EDIT: I'd love to see Harris on the Supreme Court!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 07:27PM by Rolando.
Date: September 08, 2019 07:43PM
Harris is a better AG prospect. If McConnell is still in charge at the Senate we might just end up with a 7 member court, he'll just sit on Dem nominations until he dies.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2019 08:28PM
Rolando
I wonder if Beto or Castro as Biden's VP could put Texas in play? If Texas flips, it is well and Truly over for Trumski!

EDIT: I'd love to see Harris on the Supreme Court!

Better would be Pres. Obama.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 08, 2019 10:44PM
I think someone like Pete may stick around to see if all of the others implode, and then he'd emerge as the sensible nominee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 10:44PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 09, 2019 12:59PM
Sarcany
I think that Warren-Harris would be a great ticket.

Warren knows how to plan and how to execute. Harris is a good administrator and would make a good veep.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but when has having a good administrator as a vice president been helpful or useful again?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: J Marston
Date: September 09, 2019 03:10PM
Tim Kaine, although by all accounts a good and honorable man, was a lousy VP pick: he barely delivered Virginia. Had Booker been the VP nominee, Hillary would have won.

So it's important to think of a complete ticket, which virtually requires that Booker or Harris be on the ticket in some position. O'Rourke won't be the nominee, but he'd be a good VP for Booker (less so Harris) or Sanders or Biden (less so Warren). Sanders and Warren need a pragmatist with alternative credentials, and I don't think your can go with an all-white or all-black ticket unless there are sharp contrasts in viewpoint, such as an idealist and a pragmatist.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 09, 2019 03:40PM
J Marston
Tim Kaine, although by all accounts a good and honorable man, was a lousy VP pick: he barely delivered Virginia. Had Booker been the VP nominee, Hillary would have won.

I remember a vague feeling of dread when she picked Kaine - it was the “safe” pick - middle aged-to-older white guy, picked mostly just to deliver one more state.

Not sure that she would have won with Booker, but I agree that Kaine was hardly inspiring.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 09, 2019 04:51PM
deckeda
My quibble with Warren as VP would be that the position is typically a placeholder intended to never steal the boss’s limelight.

Apparently you have forgotten President Cheney.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 362
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018