advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
WSJ: ‘It’s Kind of Like an Addiction’: On the Road With Trump’s Rally Diehards
Posted by: hal
Date: September 08, 2019 04:19PM
(unlike every other WSJ link that I've clicked on in the last few years - this one is not protected by the paywall. They want everyone to see this one.)

[www.wsj.com]

I've read MANY, MANY articles over the years about Deadheads following the band around on their tours. These tours attracted all kinds of folks, but the ones that had to be in the FRONT at EVERY SHOW were a special breed. The articles about THOSE people sound just like the WSJ article about Trumps 'Front Row Joes'.

The deadheads generally knew that everyone thought they were crazy - many of them would even admit to it, but the 'Joes' think that EVERYONE ELSE is crazy - that's what's so scary.

The 64-year-old retiree, who prefers sparkly nail polish, leopard prints and selfies with Trump campaign officials, is almost always one of the first few people in line at the president’s campaign events, part of the self-described group of “Front Row Joes” who routinely travel to see the president perform. Several, like Ms. DePiero, have attended more than 50 Trump rallies.

She keeps going because she trusts only the president to deliver her the news. “How else would I know what’s going on?” she said.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WSJ: ‘It’s Kind of Like an Addiction’: On the Road With Trump’s Rally Diehards
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 08, 2019 04:27PM
I hit the pay wall. Rupert isn’t getting a dime from me.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: WSJ: ‘It’s Kind of Like an Addiction’: On the Road With Trump’s Rally Diehards
Date: September 08, 2019 04:29PM
then click on this:

[twitter.com]

Trump has gone insane! Alabama isn't over...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 08, 2019 04:35PM
The Columbia Journalism Review did a recent piece on paywalls that you might find interesting.
Date: September 08, 2019 04:59PM
hal
then click on this:

[twitter.com]

Trump has gone insane! Alabama isn't over...

Tragic how far gone he is.

Date: September 08, 2019 05:02PM
actually, the 2nd time I went to the page, an advert for subscribing dropped and greyed out the screen, BUT I was able to click it away and continue reading UNLIKE in the past. If I can do it, you can do it.
Date: September 08, 2019 05:40PM
RgrF
The Columbia Journalism Review did a recent piece on paywalls that you might find interesting.

Interesting article.

Date: September 08, 2019 05:42PM
hal
actually, the 2nd time I went to the page, an advert for subscribing dropped and greyed out the screen, BUT I was able to click it away and continue reading UNLIKE in the past. If I can do it, you can do it.

Nope, using an iPad (latest iOS) and Safari.

Date: September 09, 2019 05:14AM
Speedy
I hit the pay wall. Rupert isn’t getting a dime from me.

Ok, on my iPad, no go, but on my laptop I could read the article - and the comments (shudder).

Date: September 09, 2019 12:55PM
Speedy
...and the comments (shudder).

DON'T DO IT!!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 09, 2019 02:43PM
I didn't go past the paywall (Safari, OS X) but have often wondered how many attendees are groupies vs. the local fan club.

I'd assume it's the latter of course, but if not he's in serious trouble.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018