advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Have you all seen this...? (Trump's latest ad)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 06, 2019 10:05AM
Edit: link removed at Sarcany's request, but if you want find it, just search YouTube for the orange cheeto's most recent "campaign" ad, where he's attacking Biden for a supposed deal with Ukraine and claiming that the Dems are all out to get him because they didn't accept the results of the 2016 election. (It's less of a campaign ad to me, than it is some sort of bizarre rendering of the mind of someone who is desperately trying to make himself out to be anything other that a terrible loser in all senses of the word...)

... there are just so many levels on which you could analyze this as being the result of some very serious psychopathology...

Edit: I see that CNN has refused to air this ad on the grounds that it contains multiple factual inaccuracies. They're encouraging Fox News to do the same.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 01:31PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have you all seen this...? (Trump's latest ad)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 06, 2019 10:24AM
Don't give it views and it won't trend on YouTube.

Date: October 06, 2019 10:28AM
Sarcany

It'll probably get taken down anyway ... but even if it doesn't, I wouldn't mind if it trends ... important for people to see the craziness and desperation.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 06, 2019 10:30AM
Is this 45's Power Tie ad that $tevie posted?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 06, 2019 10:45AM
PeterB
Sarcany

It'll probably get taken down anyway ... but even if it doesn't, I wouldn't mind if it trends ... important for people to see the craziness and desperation.

Drumpf follows the Goebbels rule book.

Repeat a lie often enough and people believe it.

And that one's repeating a doozy of a lie. One that republicans desperately want to believe.

They will believe it.

Don't help spread it. Please take the link down.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 06, 2019 11:17AM
Filliam H. Muffman

no, that was art. This is a fart.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: October 06, 2019 01:34PM
Ombligo
Filliam H. Muffman

no, that was art. This is a fart.

$tevie's ad at least had some level of creativity and a positive message (if you drink the koolaid) ... this one is flat out lies and treason and the fact that the cheeto approved it is extremely disturbing.

Date: October 06, 2019 01:47PM
Sarcany
PeterB
Sarcany

Drumpf follows the Goebbels rule book.

Repeat a lie often enough and people believe it.

And that one's repeating a doozy of a lie. One that republicans desperately want to believe.

They will believe it.

Don't help spread it. Please take the link down.

Done, but here are links to the CNN analysis:

[deadline.com]
[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: hal
Date: October 06, 2019 01:56PM
What presidential TV ad WASN'T full of @#$%&? Most ads twist the truth so much they become a lie or is only true once you've read all of the disclaimer footnotes. I'm sure Trumps are worse than all the rest, but do we really want to be doing this? So now we will have lefty and righty networks describing completely different worlds with advertising to match?
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 06, 2019 02:27PM
Don't ever see any of this shiznit in Cali. It's like the clown doesn't even exist. Sadly, he does.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 06, 2019 02:33PM
Spending money on either the West Coast or Northeast is a total waste for the GOP.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 06, 2019 02:51PM
We never get GOP ads in Maryland, aside from Governor Hogan's. Whenever a commercial causes a controversy, I always have to go find it online.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 06, 2019 02:53PM
hal
What presidential TV ad WASN'T full of @#$%&? Most ads twist the truth so much they become a lie or is only true once you've read all of the disclaimer footnotes. I'm sure Trumps are worse than all the rest, but do we really want to be doing this? So now we will have lefty and righty networks describing completely different worlds with advertising to match?

Compared to that Trump ad spreading verifiable lies about Biden, no, most ads are nothing like it. This isn’t him merely emphasizing a viewpoint. He’s created a fabrication of events and meanings.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 06, 2019 09:05PM
I hate censorship, including of this ad. CNN could air a disclaimer right after the ad describing the falsehoods.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 06, 2019 09:12PM
CNN is, in theory at least, a news network. I think it is correct that they would refuse to transmit a commercial that is 100% lies, and confuse their viewers. If they show it and follow with a disclaimer, every freaking politician is going to demand that their opponent's ad be followed with a disclaimer. Life is too short.

Date: October 06, 2019 09:38PM
$tevie
CNN is, in theory at least, a news network. I think it is correct that they would refuse to transmit a commercial that is 100% lies, and confuse their viewers. If they show it and follow with a disclaimer, every freaking politician is going to demand that their opponent's ad be followed with a disclaimer. Life is too short.

Political ads placed by the candidate should never be censored by the station. No exceptions.

Posted by: sekker
Date: October 06, 2019 10:01PM
Was shown here during baseball game. My wife (and I) were appalled.

Rumor has it that the impeachment issue has been a real windfall for GOP candidate fundraising.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 06, 2019 10:57PM
Ads ran during the Sunday night football game, seemed to be more like slurs.
Date: October 06, 2019 11:22PM
Speedy
$tevie

Political ads placed by the candidate should never be censored by the station. No exceptions.

Ordinarily I'd actually agree with you, but when the ads feature fully-provable baldfaced lies, I think the station has the right not to air. The lies amount to defamation, and the station could be held liable for promoting and promulgating slander.

Date: October 07, 2019 02:59AM
PeterB
Speedy
$tevie

Ordinarily I'd actually agree with you, but when the ads feature fully-provable baldfaced lies, I think the station has the right not to air. The lies amount to defamation, and the station could be held liable for promoting and promulgating slander.

I’m pretty sure federal law allows these political ads and prohibits suits against the stations for airing them.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 07, 2019 08:09AM
Speedy
PeterB
Speedy
$tevie

I’m pretty sure federal law allows these political ads and prohibits suits against the stations for airing them.

I think you are mistaken. CNN is allowed to apply fair and reasonable standards to the advertising it will broadcast, as long as those standards are transparent and equitably applied. Pure political speech is different (CNN would have a hard time defending turning off a candidate's mic during a debate because it disapproved the speech content), but CNN wouldn't run an ad for a drug that promised to cure every cancer known to medicine in six weeks for just six payments of $7,999, either, if it knew those claims to be demonstrably false.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: October 07, 2019 01:20PM
rjmacs
Speedy
PeterB
Speedy
$tevie

I think you are mistaken. CNN is allowed to apply fair and reasonable standards to the advertising it will broadcast, as long as those standards are transparent and equitably applied. Pure political speech is different (CNN would have a hard time defending turning off a candidate's mic during a debate because it disapproved the speech content), but CNN wouldn't run an ad for a drug that promised to cure every cancer known to medicine in six weeks for just six payments of $7,999, either, if it knew those claims to be demonstrably false.

But political ads are a different matter than snake oil.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 07, 2019 06:13PM
Speedy
rjmacs
Speedy
PeterB
Speedy
$tevie

But political ads are a different matter than snake oil.

I'm gonna need a cite. I'll try to see if I can find one, because "I'm pretty sure" doesn't really add up to evidence.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018