advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Sec. Rick Perry Explains 'Expansive Relationship' With Ukraine: 'God as My Witness Not Once Was Biden Mentioned'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 06, 2019 05:23PM
God help me, I'm linking to CBN (the Christian Broadcasting Network). However Perry essentially calls Trump a liar, so...

Sec. Rick Perry Explains 'Expansive Relationship' With Ukraine: 'God as My Witness Not Once Was Biden Mentioned'
[www1.cbn.com]

WASHINGTON – When it comes to dealings with Ukraine, Energy Secretary Rick Perry says he probably has the most expansive relationships as any cabinet secretary but says he's never heard former Vice President Joe Biden or his son Hunter come up in conversation.

Secretary Perry discussed his dealings during an exclusive interview with CBN News Friday.

"This has been a very intense, a very focused push to get Ukraine to clean up the corruption. It's a very well known fact that this was historically a corrupt place and the message was clear: you clean up the corruption and the United States will be certainly willing to come in and help you," Perry explained.

"I can't go in good faith and tell a US company, go and invest here, go and be involved if the corruption is ongoing," he added.

Perry says he never heard anyone ever bring up former Vice President Joe Biden or his son Hunter.

"I never heard, and I talked to the president about this," he told CBN News. "I had a conversation with - a phone call - with Rudy Guiliani about it. I've talked to the previous ambassador. I've talked to the current ambassador. I've talked to Kurt Volker, Gordan Sondland, the EU ambassador- every name that you've seen out in the media and not once, not once as God as my witness, not once was a Biden name - not the former vice president, not his son ever mentioned. Corruption was talked about in the country but it was always a relatively vague term of, you know, the oligarchs and this and that and what have you."

Perry said he "got very comfortable" that President Volodymyr Zelensky's and his team were committed to cleaning up corruption in their country and helping the county move forward economically.

"Our interest was always and still is trying to help Ukraine become as independent as it can be from an energy standpoint. They've been held hostage by Russians, by Russian gas. The Russians literally have cut the gas off to Ukraine. They have attacked their utilities with cyberattacks," he noted.

The House Oversight Committee wants to learn more about Perry's trip to Ukraine for President Zolensky's inauguration, along with other meetings.

The secretary says he'll cooperate fully with Congress.

but he's out as Energy Secretary, so draw your own conclusions.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sec. Rick Perry Explains 'Expansive Relationship' With Ukraine: 'God as My Witness Not Once Was Biden Mentioned'
Posted by: hal
Date: October 06, 2019 05:32PM
If I had the energy I's put his head on a picture of Oswald with "I'm a PATSY!" caption.

I totally believe him - he's a convenient passerby to throw under the bus.
Re: Sec. Rick Perry Explains 'Expansive Relationship' With Ukraine: 'God as My Witness Not Once Was Biden Mentioned'
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 06, 2019 06:23PM
Who will be the next sacrificial goat? The good Doctor? He is expendable.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 06, 2019 09:17PM
Perry's stupid enough that he could easily be used as a pawn in this, without being privy to the Biden angle. However, I find it very difficult to believe that he spoke with Giuliani without the Bidens being mentioned, because that seems to be one of Rudy's favorite conspiracy theories to tout and I can't believe he would pass on the opportunity to convert Perry.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 06, 2019 10:11PM
One thing about Giuliani seems to have been true. When he says he’s talked to someone about something I think that’s proven true. He’s all about normalizing this.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 06, 2019 11:09PM
they talked about corruption, eh?

for today's dogwalk i listened to the Oct 3 podcast of The Daily from the NYT. the washington correspondent for the NYT Kenneth Vogel was the interviewee. One of his points that stuck in my head was that the word corruption in regards to the Trump gang and Ukraine always referred to investigating the Bidens and investigating Ukraine helping the Clinton campaign. This euphemism was supposedly common knowledge.

The Daily: How Rudy Giulani's Ukraine Operation Backfired

it's about a half hour listen. the part i'm referencing starts just under 19 minutes in. the page i linked seems to also have a transcript of the interview.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 07, 2019 09:42AM
The other thing that Guiliani was doing that probably explains most of his behavior was helping friends get rich with natural gas deals in Ukraine. This was happening apart from the "investigating the Bidens" thing and also involved Perry.

The AP released a deep background story on that this weekend - interesting reading:

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — As Rudy Giuliani was pushing Ukrainian officials last spring to investigate one of Donald Trump’s main political rivals, a group of individuals with ties to the president and his personal lawyer were also active in the former Soviet republic.

Their aims were profit, not politics. This circle of businessmen and Republican donors touted connections to Giuliani and Trump while trying to install new management at the top of Ukraine’s massive state gas company. Their plan was to then steer lucrative contracts to companies controlled by Trump allies, according to two people with knowledge of their plans.

[www.apnews.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018