advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Supreme Court could alter all our lives
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 06, 2019 06:17PM
The cases they are hearing sound like rights of American citizens......and they are at risk. I feel like our country could melt from underneath our feet with possible decisions. From Dreamers to gay rights. A mixture that can affect citizens group by group.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Supreme Court could alter all our lives
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 06, 2019 06:39PM
Elections have consequences.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 06, 2019 06:41PM
For years conservatives have been clamoring for this is sort of Supreme Court makeup. The changes they could bring about could be substantial and certainly not progressive.

If RBG doesn't make it through to the next administration it could result in having a reactionary Court for decades to come.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 06, 2019 07:56PM
RgrF
For years conservatives have been clamoring for this is sort of Supreme Court makeup. The changes they could bring about could be substantial and certainly not progressive.

If RBG doesn't make it through to the next administration it could result in having a reactionary Court for decades to come.

People my age got used to the court as it was in the 60s/70s, but I gotta think that having a DEM in the presidency for 16 straight years led to a left leaning court that seemed like the norm, but was it? I think I read that FDR and Truman combined to appoint 13 justices - that would make any repub lose their mind.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 06, 2019 10:57PM
hal
RgrF

People my age got used to the court as it was in the 60s/70s, but I gotta think that having a DEM in the presidency for 16 straight years led to a left leaning court that seemed like the norm, but was it? I think I read that FDR and Truman combined to appoint 13 justices - that would make any repub lose their mind.

I've read that in a longer view of history its been mostly conservative.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 06, 2019 11:01PM
There is a real difference between conservative and reactionary, unfortunately reactionary has become normalized as conservative.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 07, 2019 12:09AM
Already happened with Citizens United thanks to 43's appointments, though it could get worse.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018