advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Sondland turns. Guess he doesn't want to go to jail for perjury
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 05, 2019 02:19PM
WASHINGTON — A critical witness in the impeachment inquiry offered Congress substantial new testimony this week, revealing that he told a top Ukrainian official that the country likely would not receive U.S. military aid unless it publicly committed to investigations President Donald Trump wanted.

The disclosure from Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union and a Seattle hotelier, in four new pages of sworn testimony released Tuesday, confirmed his involvement in essentially laying out a quid pro quo to Ukraine that he had previously not acknowledged.

The testimony offered several major new details beyond the account he gave the inquiry in a 10-hour interview last month. Sondland provided a more robust description of his own role in alerting the Ukrainians that they needed to go along with investigative requests being demanded by the president’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani. By early September, Sondland said, he had become convinced that military aid and a White House meeting were conditioned on Ukraine committing to those investigations.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sondland turns. Guess he doesn't want to go to jail for perjury
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 05, 2019 02:33PM
Michael Cohen probably told him "dude... they ain't playin."
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 05, 2019 02:45PM
Yes, this is from his second Congressional appearance as I understand it, after a few more (um, such as the Army hero?) had come forward and shot holes in Sondland’s earlier “it all sounded OK to me!” testimony.

It’s great when they come back for the chance to “clarify statements.”
Posted by: maco
Date: November 05, 2019 05:38PM
Gordon Sondland Is the First Guy Who Thinks Serving Donald Trump Doesn't Mean Going to Jail for Him

[www.esquire.com]
Date: November 05, 2019 05:54PM
Sondland still managed to give conflicting testimony.

“Sondland testified that former national security adviser John Bolton was included on a phone call establishing that a group known as the “three amigos” would run U.S.-Ukraine policy and that Bolton and everyone else on the call “all felt very comfortable with the strategy moving forward.”

According to Fiona Hill, Bolton was actually incensed by what happened and specifically what Sondland did at two White House meetings with Ukraine officials: during the first (and official) meeting headed bun Bolton, and the second (and unofficial) as hoc one Sondland orchestrated immediately after. In both instances Sondland pressure the visitors to investigate Burisma.

This guy remains a slime. The good news is that he feels zero loyalty to Trump. He just used him for the gig. Now he’s clearly out to save #1.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 05, 2019 05:58PM
....The....Perj......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 05, 2019 07:06PM
Yeah, I said there was no quid pro quo, but my recollection has changed and yes, there was a quid pro quo, but for sure it didn't come from Trump.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Now that's covering all your bases.
Date: November 05, 2019 08:09PM
Volker apparently draws a strange line.

WaPo:

“In a prolonged back-and-forth with Schiff during a closed-door deposition, Volker emphasized his understanding that Ukraine’s top leadership did not learn that U.S. aid was on hold until weeks after Trump requested investigations of the Biden family.

Volker argued that the chronology undermines the alleged link between the two developments.
At one point, Schiff said Volker was “making this much more complicated than it has to be.”
“My question is very simple. You would agree that when Ukraine learned that the U.S. was withholding military assistance that it desperately needed, that the president’s request to investigate his opponent carried that much more weight and urgency?” Schiff asked.

Volker replied: “I can’t say that. I think that the sequence of events goes the other direction.”

Later, Schiff told Volker that he found it “remarkable, as a career diplomat, that you have difficult acknowledging” that Ukraine learning its aid was on hold would “add additional urgency” to Trump’s requests.

How can Volker not know the sequence of events?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 06, 2019 08:35AM
There's a line between "I won't lie for you and go to prison" and "I'm interested in the whole truth coming out, no matter how damaging."

Remember - these people signed up to work for this guy. It's not like they were serving him under duress - they just got caught doing it.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 358
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018