advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Wow- don't look now, but in *Kentucky*...
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 05, 2019 08:11PM
...they may be about to elect a Dem governor.

Trump was down there campaigning for the Republican incumbent just yesterday, along with Rand Paul.

With 98% of the vote reported, the Dem challenger is leading by ~1% - over 10,000 votes in a close election.

FWIW, in Fayette county, where Trump held his rally, the vote is going 65.5 Dem to 33% Republican incumbent.

smiley-shocked003

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 09:16PM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wow- don't look now, but in *Kentucky*
Date: November 05, 2019 08:16PM
Tightening ever so slightly with Beshear (D) at 49.4% and Bevin (R) at 48.6%. The actual vote difference is ~10,000 votes, with 1% (~14,000) votes still out.

Looks like neither will get 50% - does anyone know if this means a runoff in KY? A Libertarian candidate is pulling 2%.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 05, 2019 08:16PM
and the Libertarian gets 28000 votes - well done buddy - you just helped an evil DEMOCRAT get elected.
Date: November 05, 2019 08:19PM
interesting that Gov is the only KY race with a DEM leading. In all other elections, the repubs won by a decent margin.
Date: November 05, 2019 08:24PM
hal
interesting that Gov is the only KY race with a DEM leading. In all other elections, the repubs won by a decent margin.

Well, it is a pretty deep red state.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 05, 2019 08:24PM
Down to 6000 -- recounts and lawsuits to follow

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: November 05, 2019 08:25PM
Ombligo

I'm seeing 8100 at the NYT live count - but still very, very close.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 05, 2019 08:33PM
Ombligo

Why go to all that trouble when a box of ballots is stashed in someone's trunk?
Date: November 05, 2019 08:37PM
Still really, really close, but NBC calls it for challenger Beshear.

Trump said something to the effect that it would look really bad on him if Beshear won.

Edit: Ah, here it is:

Trump had endorsed Bevin and campaigned with him in Lexington the night before the election, where the president told supporters that a loss by the GOP governor would be portrayed as Trump's having suffered "the greatest defeat in the history of the world. You can’t let that happen to me."

Your words, not ours, Mr. Prez.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 08:42PM by pdq.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 05, 2019 08:55PM
Virginia House and Senate both flipped to the Democrats

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: November 05, 2019 08:58PM
NYT says 100% of vote in - 3659 of 3659 precincts reported.

Where will Kentucky Repubs come up with 4,659 votes to overcome their candidate's deficit?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 05, 2019 09:01PM
Is there an automatic recount trigger at a certain threshold?
Date: November 05, 2019 09:04PM
Dennis S
Is there an automatic recount trigger at a certain threshold?

I dunno, but the margin is 0.3%, so I would not be at all surprised.
Date: November 05, 2019 09:19PM
Just before 10 p.m., Beshear declared his victory to The Courier Journal and at his own watch party.

However, the AP wrote on Twitter that the race was too close to call.

Meanwhile, Bevin took the stage at his own party and said he would not concede.

[www.courier-journal.com]

Bevin says there have been some irregularities and they want the legal process to be followed so that in the end Kentucky has the governor its people elected. #kypolitics

— Morgan Watkins (@morganwatkins26)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 05, 2019 09:20PM
A recount eh?
It doesn't matter who votes, it's who counts the vote that matters. - Old Russian proverb
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 05, 2019 09:20PM
hal
and the Libertarian gets 28000 votes - well done buddy - you just helped an evil DEMOCRAT get elected.

lol
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 05, 2019 09:22PM
irregularities

Yeah, too many Democrats voted.
Date: November 05, 2019 09:22PM
There is no automatic recount process in Kentucky. Instead, a challenger must file a petition with the Franklin Circuit Court, by Nov. 13, to seek a formal recount. The challenger would have to front the cost of the recount. A Kentucky judge would manage the recount procedure.

[www.foxnews.com]
Date: November 05, 2019 09:23PM
Acer
irregularities

Yeah, too many Democrats voted.

that's worth of a late-night monologue
Re: Wow- don't look now, but in *Kentucky*...
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 05, 2019 09:27PM
sorry, senior moment.

Northern California Coast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 09:29PM by steve....
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 05, 2019 10:39PM
VA Dems now control the whole show for the first time in quite a while. They’ll redistrict to ensure it stays that way for a decade or so.
Date: November 05, 2019 10:52PM
So Democratic gerrymandering is OK, GOP gerrymandering not so much? And you wonder why folks think politicians are all the same and in it for themselves?
Date: November 05, 2019 10:55PM
RgrF
So Democratic gerrymandering is OK, GOP gerrymandering not so much? And you wonder why folks think politicians are all the same and in it for themselves?

I only report the news. I didn’t “say” it was OK.

On the other hand, if it’s currently rigged in Republicans’ favor now (and I don’t follow VA politics to know) then YES I’m more than good with a course correction, thanks.
Date: November 05, 2019 11:07PM

VA Dems now control the whole show for the first time in quite a while.
is reporting

They’ll redistrict to ensure it stays that way for a decade or so.
is opinion
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 05, 2019 11:11PM
RgrF

According to the SCOTUS, that’d be just fine.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 05, 2019 11:12PM
hal
There is no automatic recount process in Kentucky. Instead, a challenger must file a petition with the Franklin Circuit Court, by Nov. 13, to seek a formal recount. The challenger would have to front the cost of the recount. A Kentucky judge would manage the recount procedure.

[www.foxnews.com]

It ain’t over until it’s over.

Date: November 06, 2019 12:48AM
Bevin speaks:

I dunno youse guys - I did everything but kiss that big dumb pumpkinhead, and I still lost?!
Date: November 06, 2019 02:24AM
RgrF

You don't bring a knife to a gunfight. "Folks" oughta know that.
Date: November 06, 2019 02:52AM
vision63

You're a political pro, it's your knife fight not theirs. Some "folks" actually expect their votes to go to people who won't lie to get those votes. I know that's a naive thought to a pro like you but believe it or not, not everyone has a job hanging directly on the election result like the pros do.

Some folks even believe in the concept of honest government that delivers services only government can deliver. They hope it will be done as corruption free as possible. I can remember a time when this sort of bilateral governance actually seemed possible and occasionally happened.

Doing away with the 'Fairness Doctrine' and granting a permanent visa to Rupert Murdoch were two of the biggest mistakes this country ever made.
Date: November 06, 2019 05:08AM
vision63
RgrF

Agreed, Pres. Obama tried being accommodating to Republican 'sensitivities' and it did him and the country no good.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 06, 2019 06:26AM
deckeda
RgrF

On the other hand, if it’s currently rigged in Republicans’ favor now (and I don’t follow VA politics to know) then YES I’m more than good with a course correction, thanks.

More than 2/3rds of the state is "blue." It's been that way for awhile. The population of the state has been growing as technology and government offices draw people to the region and the the educated young people coming to VA tend to align with dems.

Gerrymandering and disenfranchisement of black voters have kept republicans in power.

It's not a "course correction." It's restoration of democracy.

Date: November 06, 2019 07:06AM
Sarcany
deckeda
RgrF

More than 2/3rds of the state is "blue." It's been that way for awhile. The population of the state has been growing as technology and government offices draw people to the region and the the educated young people coming to VA tend to align with dems.

Gerrymandering and disenfranchisement of black voters have kept republicans in power.

Yes, it's tough when there is an increase of smart, educated people in a state. Lots of things change like getting better schools, better roads, higher wages, especially better dental care, etc.

Date: November 06, 2019 07:55AM
Sarcany
deckeda
RgrF

WTF are we arguing about this, when we agree it’s about righting the ship, which is literally what a course correction IS.

My apologies to anyone if it seems as if I advocate for an unfair Democratic advantage.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 06, 2019 08:44AM
deckeda
VA Dems now control the whole show for the first time in quite a while. They’ll redistrict to ensure it stays that way for a decade or so.

Actually, they won this time because Republican districts were found to be racially gerrymandered and had to be redrawn.

Virginia Democrats don't need to gerrymander in VA in order to win statewide. They have the numbers.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 06, 2019 11:33AM
All of the hullabaloo about the Virgina and Kentucky elections is FAKE NEWS. I just checked the FOX News site and neither election is mentioned at all.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 11:34AM by Ammo.
Date: November 06, 2019 12:28PM
Ammo
All of the hullabaloo about the Virgina and Kentucky elections is FAKE NEWS. I just checked the FOX News site and neither election is mentioned at all.

I thought that you must be overly excited and stretching the truth a bit, but I just checked too. Not one mention of the elections.

Front and center are NINE articles about the americans slain in mexico.

Date: November 06, 2019 12:53PM
RgrF
vision63

You're a political pro, it's your knife fight not theirs. Some "folks" actually expect their votes to go to people who won't lie to get those votes. I know that's a naive thought to a pro like you but believe it or not, not everyone has a job hanging directly on the election result like the pros do.

Some folks even believe in the concept of honest government that delivers services only government can deliver. They hope it will be done as corruption free as possible. I can remember a time when this sort of bilateral governance actually seemed possible and occasionally happened.

Doing away with the 'Fairness Doctrine' and granting a permanent visa to Rupert Murdoch were two of the biggest mistakes this country ever made.

Folk had no problem voting for a racist bigot (and his band of helpers) hellbent on crushing my liberty and freedom. Hellbent on destroying everything we've fought to create for hundreds of years simply because they're losing influence and fear no longer being the very idea and concept of what America is.

They are the Terminator (the representatives). They're never going to quit. You can't reason with them, you can't negotiate with them. They're going to keep going until we're all gasping for our breath because they refuse to address what's real.

In an ideal America where there is no racial animus, yeah, we can then focus on the economic divides that rankle us. We're not there yet. Europe isn't there yet either. Racial anxiety is the ONLY reason there is a Brexit. All of the other legitimate concerns in Britain wouldn't have led to the outcome of that radical vote. The Republican Party needs to be neutered.

I'm concerned, as others have mentioned about the consequences of absolute power by one side.

I'm concerned about overreach. I know that corporations (especially real estate speculators) know how to get rich regardless of who is in charge. They don't have to buy politicians, they just have to observe what the concerns are and position themselves slyly as part of the "solution."

We can't concede the political landscape to them. That's why we rack up so many losses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 12:54PM by vision63.
Date: November 06, 2019 07:57PM
Gov. Blevins was very unpopular. The rest of the statewide offices went red.

In Mississippi the Repugs picked up seats in the legislature.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018