AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Kansas City reafirms it's stereotype
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 06, 2019 11:25PM
Re: Kansas City reafirms it's stereotype
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 06, 2019 11:42PM
I'm not sure what you're trying to imply.

The New York Times story makes it clear that the city council had changed the name from Paseo to King over the objection of many in the Kansas City black community, for whom Paseo had decades of local meaning.

The election yesterday saw KC African-Americans split, with community "leaders" fiercely taking both sides of the issue.

But those who wanted the street returned to its former name, Paseo Boulevard, heralded the result as a win for a black community that they say was ignored when the decision to change the name to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard was first made.

“Dr. King’s dream is real,” said Alissia Canady, a black former councilwoman who opposed naming the street for Dr. King. “And black voters won’t allow anybody, black or otherwise, to disenfranchise them in Kansas City.”

About 65 percent of voters decided they preferred the name Paseo Boulevard, according to unofficial election results released by the city.

The monthslong battle had incited an unlikely political battle in which black people for and against keeping Dr. King’s name on the street claimed they were on the side of racial justice.

Dr. Howard’s organization had led a petition drive last year to get a ballot measure allowing voters to choose whether to rename Paseo Boulevard after Dr. King. That drive failed, but the city’s elected officials stepped in and voted, 8-4, to change the name anyway. In the process, the Council did not adhere to an ordinance requiring most of a street’s residents to approve a renaming.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2019 05:09AM
It's Missouri, Jake.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2019 08:19AM
What MrDowntown said.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 07, 2019 02:12PM
1. I grew up in the KC Metro, spent the '90s living in other cities across the Midwest, and moved back here to KC in '99. I've spent close to 40 of my 50 years living here.

2. I'm politically to the left of most (D)s and wholeheartedly support affirmative action and just about everything else meant to give African Americans justice, recognition and equal (if not better than) opportunities of ALL kinds.

3. The issue of renaming The Paseo to MLK has been a contentious one here in KC but not for the reasons most knee-jerk pundits — especially on the coasts — seem to think. I was completely ticked off (as were many here) when they changed Paseo to MLK not because I don't believe in giving MLK a street...I do believe in that 110%. It's just very shortsighted to change the name of one of KC's most beloved, historic and unique boulevards, if not THE most beloved. Again, I am 110% for naming a boulevard after MLK. I am -110% for abolishing The Paseo in favor of MLK. It was a sadly misguided idea to do it this way. There are many other streets that would easily be candidates for an MLK Blvd and I'd vote that way 110x over.

4. Your thread title sounds ignorant and elitist. I could say the same thing you said "reaffirms its stereotype" about Boston, NYC, SFO, Cincy, Minot, Las Vegas, DC, LA or just about any other city in America. Yeah, America is racist and that sucks. But the fight for justice goes on. Period.

EDITS: for clarity

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 03:39PM by SteveO.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 07, 2019 06:25PM
He can have a street, but does it have to be one of our nice ones?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2019 08:51PM
rjmacs
oh, please
Date: November 07, 2019 10:47PM
rjmacs

LOL what a ridiculously stupid uninformed comment.

EDIT: Kinder, gentler

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 12:21AM by SteveO.
Date: November 08, 2019 07:47AM
The fight for justice goes on. Please stay off the grass.

rj
AKA
Date: November 08, 2019 09:20PM
You're obviously very brilliant.
Date: November 09, 2019 05:19PM
If the City Council were smart, they'd name the new airport MLK International. I can't think of a bigger landmark tribute that would reach more people than that.
Date: November 11, 2019 12:05PM

1. I'm from here, so I know what I'm talking about.
2. I'm more liberal than most, and very supportive of racial equality, which immunizes me against any claims having to do with race or racism.
3. I feel qualified to judge efforts to honor MLK, Jr. as poorly considered and executed, and spout my wisdom about how others ought to have done it better.
4. That's just the way it is. Some things will never change. But I'm still on the right side of history; it's everyone else that can't seem to get it right.

rj
AKA
Date: November 14, 2019 01:43PM
rjmacs
I've made quite an amazing series of jerky posts in this thread. I know everything about everything. So proud of myself and my competing superiority/inferiority complexes.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 14, 2019 02:09PM
Do you guys two prefer Marriott or Motel 6?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 02:09PM by RgrF.
Date: November 14, 2019 02:44PM
Fair enough, RgrF. And I'm sure I came across as less than civil in my posts above. My apologies for that. Let's bury the hatchet, and the attitude.

If a boulevard: I think it would be most effective as an east-west boulevard that goes through both black and white neighborhoods. Paseo is north-south and on the east side of KC which is predominantly black... any boulevard on the east side running north-south would not have as much of a diverse educational impact of an east-west boulevard that runs through all socioeconomic strata.

I still think the new airport would have the most impact. MLK International. Why not? Reagan had an airport named after him.

Either way, it needs to be put before the voters with full transparency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 03:25PM by SteveO.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 277
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018