advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I've had it with 'comfort animals'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2019 10:06AM
Comfort Animals? you've got to be kidding.

'but Foo-Foo helps calm my nerves, of course she deserves a seat'

While I was traveling on the subway the other day, there were no fewer than 4 people who had their dogs with them. The excuse is that they are 'comfort animals' and therefore are exempt from following any 'no animals' rules.

Now that word has gotten around, there has been an explosion of animals (usually yappy little dogs) invading previously forbidden spaces and places which explicitly forbid them for hygiene reasons...like eating establishments and supermarkets. While I have sympathy for any number of human causes, lugging around your animal to places the regulations have, with good reason, excluded them, is ridiculous.

This scam has continued for too long.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I've had it with 'comfort animals'
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 07, 2019 10:17AM
I think this idea should be scuttled...along with bratty kids on air travel.
Date: November 07, 2019 10:23AM
samintx
I think this idea should be scuttled...along with bratty kids on air travel.

At least the kids are human, they always get a pass. When a pit bull attacks passengers on the A Train, then maybe people will perk up.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 07, 2019 10:52AM
Hey, for $20 or less you too can designate your (fill in the blank) as an "official" emotional support animal.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 07, 2019 11:33AM
Stuffed animals and blankies would be more appropriate.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 07, 2019 11:39AM
does your state law provide for comfort or emotional support animals? federal law only provides for service animals which are either dogs or mini horses trained to perform a specific task.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 07, 2019 11:49AM
If all you have is the subway, how are you supposed to get your dog around?

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 07, 2019 11:57AM
Posted by: WOOF
Date: November 07, 2019 12:21PM
The gate people trying to board and seat 300 people in 30 minutes are unlikely to examine your kangaroos emotional support animal's credentials from a licensed medical professional.

But he isn't entitled to a seat.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 07, 2019 01:35PM
Does a girlfriend wearing a "Cats" costume qualify for a free ticket as an emotional support animal?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2019 04:24PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Does a girlfriend wearing a "Cats" costume qualify for a free ticket as an emotional support animal?
MTA requires you to keep her in a container.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 07, 2019 05:24PM

Take a look around. See the St. Bernard slobbering over the shallots at Whole Foods? Isn’t that a Rottweiler sitting third row, mezzanine, at Carnegie Hall? As you will have observed, an increasing number of your neighbors have been keeping company with their pets in human-only establishments, cohabiting with them in animal-unfriendly apartment buildings and dormitories, and taking them (free!) onto airplanes—simply by claiming that the creatures are their licensed companion animals and are necessary to their mental well-being. No government agency keeps track of such figures, but in 2011 the National Service Animal Registry, a commercial enterprise that sells certificates, vests, and badges for helper animals, signed up twenty-four hundred emotional-support animals. Last year, it registered eleven thousand.

Oldie but a goodie: [www.newyorker.com]

also
Marc Philippe Eskenazi tests out which New York City establishments with previously strict human-only policies will allow in his menagerie of emotional-support animals.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 07, 2019 07:34PM
The woman in the seat ahead of me on a plane recently had a comfort-dog.

She was obviously very nervous and taking care of the dog -- watching the dog to ensure that the dog was okay -- seemed to provide a much-needed distraction.

Not sure what breed the dog was. Had a shape and color like a lab, but was barely the size of a beagle.

Having the dog there, curled under the seat in front of me, provided me with some comfort as well. I always feel better with a dog or cat around.

Rules on a subway should be lax. People have a hard enough time commuting. Let them bring their pets. Whether certified for it or not, I'm sure that they're all "comfort animals."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 07:35PM by Sarcany.
Date: November 07, 2019 08:50PM
@Sarcany
You're not from New York, I gather. Let them put them in carrying cages like the law says. It's bad enough that people urinate on one another, take up valuable room, yowl to disturb the journey and attack each other. We don't need some animals adding the same things.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 07, 2019 09:18PM
Steve G.
@Sarcany
You're not from New York, I gather. Let them put them in carrying cages like the law says. It's bad enough that people urinate on one another, take up valuable room, yowl to disturb the journey and attack each other. We don't need some animals adding the same things.

I am from NY and blew a few years of my life on the LIRR and subway.

I've endured the beer car when the off-duty cops hit it. There was nobody around to keep them from going nuts when they got drunk and they got VERY drunk very fast.

I've seen people packed like sausages, so tight in a nearly-airless car with no AC immersed in clouds of piss and puke and sweat and blood that they crawled over each other to gasp for air from the crack between the doors or pried open the door between the cars to get a draft. I've seen people drag things onto those trains that no person should ever see.

The subway sucks. It's awful. It's dehumanizing. Mass transit in this country is garbage almost everywhere.

Let people have their little moments of harmless lawlessness and rule-stretching. People need outlets. They need their security blankets.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 07, 2019 09:19PM
May be harsh, but if the ONLY way you can get around is by subway, maybe you shouldn’t have a dog. old fogey smiley
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 08, 2019 05:42AM
graylocks
does your state law provide for comfort or emotional support animals? federal law only provides for service animals which are either dogs or mini horses trained to perform a specific task.

Doubtful; I don't think there is such a thing as a state law that provides for emotional support animals.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 08, 2019 09:31AM
It always surprises me people are willing to risk their pets' lives in this way.

If it bites another human because its owner chose tp bring an untrained animal into a confined space the pet will almost certainly end up being seized & euthanized.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2019 09:51AM
.....Cold....Comfort.....Farm......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 08, 2019 10:33AM
DeusxMac
May be harsh, but if the ONLY way you can get around is by subway, maybe you shouldn’t have a dog. old fogey smiley

The only pet I ever "wanted" was my first dog named Tiny (who wasn't). All the rest of the pets found me. Now I'm petless and plan to keep it that way, but it's hard when the kitten is warming itself on the hood of your car.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2019 11:59AM
.....most churches also frown on.....heaving petting......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 08, 2019 01:32PM
NewtonMP2100
.....most churches also frown on.....heaving petting......

Not anymore! Have to procreate!
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 08, 2019 01:32PM
Seriously, mental health is a major issue. If someone can get help, this is a small price.

But we DO need to focus on and end the scammers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 303
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018