advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Here's a good one: Will Trump invoke the NATO mutual defense clause?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 05, 2020 01:01PM
So let's just say that Iran hits a series of U.S. targets (bases, embassies, whatever). Does this mean that Trump is able to invoke the NATO mutual defense clause? This, of course would mean that not only Britain and other staunch allies will join in retaliation, but obligate reluctant France, resistant Germany and above all TURKEY to start military operations against our mutual enemy Iran.

Would this wreck NATO? Does that mean that Trump no longer wants to disband the alliance?

And if that is not silly enough, will Jimmy Carter fly to Tehran on another of his famous peace missions ( that one to North Korea worked out so well). At least that would afford him one last shot at trying to bring down Israel.

Carter aside, any opinions on the NATO mutual defense clause being invoked here?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Here's a good one: Will Trump invoke the NATO mutual defense clause?
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 05, 2020 01:23PM
I think it served to weaken NATO. Most of the same nations did very much not want to abandon the Iran agreement. Most (but not all) refused to follow Bush into Iraq. The more the US goes it alone, the less pull to keep NATO as a functioning group.

Uncle Pootie must be so proud!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 05, 2020 02:00PM
I would assume that NATO would take a pass arguing that Trump struck the first blow.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 05, 2020 03:26PM
I'm sure he won't invoke any NATO agreements because he said NATO is obsolete:

[www.cnn.com]

"I said a long time ago that NATO had problems," he said in the interview.
"Number one it was obsolete, because it was designed many, many years ago.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 05, 2020 04:25PM
Ombligo
I would assume that NATO would take a pass arguing that Trump struck the first blow.

I think you are right. Any excuse to stay away from trump and hid messes. Trump would learn how many allies he doesn’t have.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 06, 2020 01:00PM
I think it's unlikely NATO would respond to attacks on U.S. bases in Iraq or elsewhere in the mid-east as justification for the mutual defense clause. And I doubt Iran is foolish enough to strike the U.S. homeland. We'll see!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 311
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018