advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Guess who's running to be a delegate for Mayor Pete?
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 08, 2020 09:31PM
That would be, me.

My first foray into any kind of politics, beyond just canvassing and serving as a poll watcher.

I'm running in the 7th congressional district of Alabama, in the Birmingham area.

There are 9 candidates, six men and three women. My understanding is that they alternate male/female with the candidates who get the most votes, depending on of course what percentage Pete gets. A candidate needs a minimum of 15% in order to be assigned any delegates.

I am not connected or well-known in town or in the party. I'm going to go to a couple of meetings and if financial reporting isn't too complicated, maybe do a small Facebook campaign just before the election.

People don't think too much about the names they choose for Delegates. I figure my chances are as decent as anybody's.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Guess who's running to be a delegate for Mayor Pete?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 08, 2020 09:34PM
Good on you. It'll be an experience few people will undertake. If successful, you'll also get to see political sausage made - up close and personal.
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 08, 2020 09:42PM
patriot smiley

Northern California Coast
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 08, 2020 10:14PM
.....he has a nice....Butt......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 08, 2020 10:15PM
Best of luck.

In my precinct everybody could have gone to the district convention as a delegate. At the district convention it is difficult to reach the state convention because party regulars get the delegate slots. Getting from the state to national is just for party names (well known politicos).

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: January 08, 2020 10:22PM
Thanks.

In Alabama, 34 slots are reserved for delegates who are elected on the primary ballot by district.

It appears that my district will have 8 delegates, based on whatever mix of candidates exceed 15%.

Then there are additional at-large and "party leader/elected official" (PLEO) seats that total 59 delegates.

I'm hopeful that if Pete gets a good Iowa bounce, he might be able to send 2 of those 8 delegates. I'm pretty confident that at least one will go.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 08, 2020 11:25PM
RgrF
Good on you. It'll be an experience few people will undertake. If successful, you'll also get to see political sausage made - up close and personal.

agree smiley

=wr=
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2020 08:14AM
What a great process ! My mother was a delegate at some point in the 1990's. She found it both exciting and exhausting.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 09, 2020 08:29AM
Good luckpatriot smiley we are proud of you!
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 09, 2020 01:51PM
Visit as many "clubs" in the district that you can to get your name out there. Terry Sewell's district (I like her a lot). Good luck and I hope you get it.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: January 09, 2020 03:13PM
National convention spots are sought after more than just about any other spots except for the Democratic National Committee. You don't really get to decide anything, because there will be a solid winner well before the convention (probably Biden at this point, but that is just speculation at the moment). But you will get to rub elbows with a lot of connected people, and if you manage to get a convention spot, they will see you as an up and coming party activist. Try attending the environmental caucus if there is one.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2020 08:41PM
.....too...Buttilicious......for words......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 09, 2020 09:09PM
vision63
Visit as many "clubs" in the district that you can to get your name out there. Terry Sewell's district (I like her a lot). Good luck and I hope you get it.

Good on ya. V63 has good advice. I'd add to try to get in front of as many people as possible, even in events where they'll just introduce you as a candidate for election.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 09, 2020 09:09PM
Oh. And a funny hat. You need a funny hat.
Date: January 09, 2020 10:40PM
I went to a Young Democrats event in Birmingham tonight.

So, this district is a lot bigger than I thought! Stretches from urban areas of Birmingham, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa all the way to the Mississippi state line. Huge swath of the western part of the state.

It's gerrymandered to be majority African American (63%.) That's neither here nor there but means I need to think carefully about how to best reach out to, and represent, everyone.

It also greatly increases the odds that Biden will dominate my district, but maybe Pete can still reach the 15% level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 10:47PM by stephen.
Date: January 09, 2020 10:43PM
vision63

Good advice. I really like Terri Sewell too. It feels good to be represented by Terri and Doug Jones right now (a rare moment in AL history.)
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 09, 2020 10:44PM
Awesome! Great experience to share with family and friends, too.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 10, 2020 12:13AM
I know someone who was a Bernie delegate in Philadelphia in 2016. She has talked a LOT about all the fabulous meals they fed her. It kind of made me want to try to be a delegate in 2020. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018