advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
According to George Conway and Neal Katyal, Pelosi has these two options
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 11, 2020 10:33AM
(If she wants to do it this way. She could just send over both articles of impeachment as-is and let the whitewash commence.)

1) Send to the Senate only the obstruction charge, for now. Then, after the trial, send the second. It highlights each charge separately and forces two impeachment trials. Carving them up allows more time for defections (on either side, probably?) and for a potential weird Supreme Court intervention (not mentioned in the article).

2) Send both articles but with a formal note saying that if the Senate proceeds without witnesses or some other sham, the House will reopen the same investigations again. (This deletes the Republican objection of the House not having subpoenaed people they say they wanted to hear from, now that Bolton for example said he’ll talk to the Senate ... which further makes plain that if Bolton only wants to talk to Republicans there’s a serious issue with ANY testimony he may give.)

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Doubtful either would occur, but who knows.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: According to George Conway and Neal Katyal, Pelosi has these two options
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 11, 2020 11:11AM
I think #2 is implied by default, so no appended note necessary.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 11, 2020 11:25AM
I think 45 has recently stated that they would invoke Executive Privilege for Bolton's testimony. "To protect future presidents".

So, I suppose this will also prohibit him from describing anything from is WH job in the book that he's writing.

If they somehow manage to call Biden, could Obama also claim Executive Privilege to prohibit him from answering questions.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 11, 2020 12:01PM
Obama’s not an executive any more, so of course not.

As for option 2, if she announces it the Republicans can get their faux anger out of the now instead of pretending it’s a surprise later.

I still do not see how McConnell comes out looking good if there are no witnesses, including credible ones. He has “the Senate votes” against calling witnesses but how exactly does that square with so many Republican voters claiming they want the opposite?
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 11, 2020 12:05PM
deckeda
Obama’s not an executive any more, so of course not.

But it's about a time period when Obama was, and Biden was VP. Does the protection for things that happened during their term end when their term ends?

I'm expecting 45 to be asserting Executive Privilege until the day he dies.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 11, 2020 07:43PM
I'm expecting 45 to be asserting Executive Privilege until the day he dies ......GGD

Even with Melanie?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 259
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018