advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Barr says Apple is not helping unlock iPhones used by alleged Pensacola shooter
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 13, 2020 04:51PM
[www.cnbc.com]

Attorney General William Barr said during a press conference on Monday that Apple had not helped the FBI crack into password-protected iPhones used by Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, who is suspected of killing three people last month in a shooting at a Navy base in Pensacola, Florida.

The comments highlight law enforcement’s frustration with encryption technologies that protect data so that neither Apple nor law enforcement can easily read it.

The speech also previews future clashes between technology companies and governments over whether to build “back doors” that would allow law enforcement elevated access to private data to solve crimes like terrorism.

“We have asked Apple for their help in unlocking the shooter’s iPhones. So far Apple has not given us any substantive assistance,” Barr said, next to a poster with a picture of the iPhones. “This situation perfectly illustrates why it is critical that investigators be able to get access to digital evidence once they have obtained a court order based on probable cause.”

“We call on Apple and other technology companies to help us find a solution so that we can better protect the lives of Americans and prevent future attacks,” he said. Barr has also clashed with Facebook over encrypted messages, which he called “data-in-motion” on Monday.

When Barr was asked if he was considering a court order to compel Apple to unlock the iPhones, he declined to comment. Last week, the FBI sent a letter to Apple’s general counsel asking for help.

Apple did not respond to requests for comment. Last week, a spokesperson said: “We have the greatest respect for law enforcement and have always worked cooperatively to help in their investigations. When the FBI requested information from us relating to this case a month ago we gave them all of the data in our possession and we will continue to support them with the data we have available.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Barr says Apple is not helping unlock iPhones used by alleged Pensacola shooter
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 13, 2020 04:55PM
“We have asked [the alt.White House] for their help in unlocking the [Ukraine facts]. So far [the alt.White House] has not given us any substantive assistance,” Barr said, next to a poster with a picture of the [president]. “This situation perfectly illustrates why it is critical that investigators be able to get access to [] evidence once they have obtained a [House subpoena] based on probable cause.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: Barr says Apple is not helping unlock iPhones used by alleged Pensacola shooter
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 13, 2020 05:44PM
Barr is a poster child for lack of integrity in government. He makes you want to keep even your grocery list encrypted.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2020 07:01PM
Remember when police did police-work instead of relying entirely on tech companies to do their jobs for them while they napped?

Posted by: hal
Date: January 13, 2020 07:07PM
Sarcany
Remember when police did police-work instead of relying entirely on tech companies to do their jobs for them while they napped?

I can understand the police being aggravated. There was never as good of a hiding place as encryption. They got Capone on his taxes. That couldn't happen today since all of the data would be safe from investigators.

People hate it when a thing they've used forever to make their job easier is taken away.

But I don't care! If the gov't gets access to a back door, it's all over.

I really, really, really hope that Trump makes a huge deal about this then in a couple of years, when HIS PHONE is being subpoenaed he will cry foul.
Date: January 13, 2020 07:23PM
hal
Sarcany

I can understand the police being aggravated. There was never as good of a hiding place as encryption. They got Capone on his taxes. That couldn't happen today since all of the data would be safe from investigators...

1. Apple provides iCloud backups and sync data and location data to law enforcement. That's a heck of a lot without even decrypting the device.

2. If Apple had a way to decrypt the device then everyone would. It's a back-door and back doors get opened. A lot.

3. Lookie there! Cops took down a dark web site without having to decrypt people's computers and phones! How about THAT! Members of child abuse WhatsApp group arrested in 11 countries... Without decrypting phones!! It's called leg-work. Respecting people's constitutional rights while still getting the goods on the bad guys. That's how detectives are supposed to be earning their paychecks. When you throw away people's rights just to make it easy for the cops to fill quotas, you've thrown away democracy.

Posted by: pdq
Date: January 13, 2020 08:08PM
Sarcany
When you throw away people's rights just to make it easy for the cops to fill quotas, you've thrown away democracy.

patriot smiley
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 13, 2020 10:30PM
pdq
Sarcany
When you throw away people's rights just to make it easy for the cops to fill quotas, you've thrown away democracy.

patriot smiley

We've got at least 30% ready to throw away democracy.

I feel like we've we've got another 30% ready to throw away everyone else's free speech!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 14, 2020 07:16AM
People should self-encrypt key data. It’s time to make even backdoors limited.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 14, 2020 09:05AM
I thought they (feds) hacked the San Bernardino phones?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 14, 2020 10:06AM
Lux Interior

If I recall right, they hired someone.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 14, 2020 11:44AM
Rolando
pdq
Sarcany

patriot smiley

I feel like we've we've got another 30% ready to throw away everyone else's free speech!

Yep. They're prepared to change any and all laws related to privacy matters.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 14, 2020 01:25PM
vision63
Rolando
pdq
Sarcany

patriot smiley

Yep. They're prepared to change any and all laws related to privacy matters.

smiley-score010

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 14, 2020 01:57PM
Lux Interior

They used an Israeli company called Cellebrite that claims (from last summer):

With an updated page heralding it's services, Cellebrite now says that it can "perform a full file system extraction on any iOS device" in addition to being able to perform what appears to be substantively the same on high-end android devices. And, that ability is available to law enforcement agencies that can pay for it, without sending the devices to Cellebrite for extraction.
Date: January 14, 2020 02:07PM
numbered
Lux Interior

They used an Israeli company called Cellebrite that claims (from last summer):

With an updated page heralding it's services, Cellebrite now says that it can "perform a full file system extraction on any iOS device" in addition to being able to perform what appears to be substantively the same on high-end android devices. And, that ability is available to law enforcement agencies that can pay for it, without sending the devices to Cellebrite for extraction.

Regardless of how much info Apple shares or how successful the investigation is, the administration will claim that Apple refused to help them in order to promote their idiotic demand for a back-door which serves no purpose other than to let them sit on their fat lazy asses instead of doing their jobs properly even as it jeopardizes all industry and commerce and shreds the tattered remains of the Constitution once and for all.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 16, 2020 06:20AM
Back doors won't matter...there'll be plenty of software-based apps offering encryption that can't be hacked by a hardware back door available.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 17, 2020 04:26AM
Bill in NC
Back doors won't matter...there'll be plenty of software-based apps offering encryption that can't be hacked by a hardware back door available.

Until laws or executive orders get created making them illegal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018