advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
WOW! Big Democratic Debate Tuesday! Who's watching? anyone?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 13, 2020 06:03PM
Aw, come on. Don't you want to see more haggling over health care plans and the other standard topics again and again? Impeachment is coming and war is a tick away. Will any of the candidates address anything voters are actually interested in? (Then they will ask..."what went wrong?")

It will air live on CNN and stream on CNN’s homepage without requiring a cable login. Viewers can also watch the debate on CNN’s apps for iOS and Android as well as Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast and Android TV. It will also stream on DesMoinesRegister.com. Probably other internet sites as well.

The Democratic National Committee’s (DNC) seventh Democratic debate of this cycle — and the first of the election year — will take place on Jan. 14 at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. CNN will co-host the debate with The Des Moines Register and broadcast the event live from 9 to 11 p.m. EST.

former Vice President Joe Biden, former South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, billionaire executive Tom Steyer and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WOW! Big Democratic Debate Tuesday! Who's watching? anyone?
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 13, 2020 07:47PM
I have to watch this one. The Sanders/Warren war is sizzling up.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 13, 2020 08:00PM
vision63
I have to watch this one. The Sanders/Warren war is sizzling up.

Neither Sanders nor Warren are my picks here, but I'm taking the purported Sanders statement that hit the news today with a grain of salt. Certainly without confirmation by Warren.

Don't immediately believe everything you see (at least without decent proof/corroboration), folks. There's gonna be all sorts of ratf*cking in the next 11 months.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the supposed comment that Sanders made to Warren, privately. (No link - you can dig up your own dirt, if you have to).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 08:06PM by pdq.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 13, 2020 08:41PM
Not watching. Voting D as always.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 14, 2020 09:59AM
I will be watching. No matter how you are voting hearing what each has to say is important.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 14, 2020 12:14PM
Warren's reply to Bernie should have been, "Well, a woman kicked your ass in 2016."

But it probably never happened as it is being reported, anyway.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 14, 2020 01:51PM
The combined Sanders/Warren numbers represent a real problem for Biden who would of course be the beneficiary of any sort of divide and conquer strategy.
Date: January 14, 2020 01:57PM
RgrF
The combined Sanders/Warren numbers represent a real problem for Biden who would of course be the beneficiary of any sort of divide and conquer strategy.

Bernie is still leading in California. That's a lot of delegates for a newfangled preacher man.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 14, 2020 02:07PM
Uncle Joe's the nominee..the only question is who's the veep?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 14, 2020 02:48PM
Bill in NC
Uncle Joe's the nominee..the only question is who's the veep?

Same was said of Hillary in 2008.

Julie Louis Dreyfus is the VEEP.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 14, 2020 06:34PM
Just for perspective:

[ballotpedia.org]

Delegates are allocated proportionally based on the outcome of each state's primary contest. A candidate is typically only eligible to receive a share of the pledged delegates at stake if they win at least 15 percent of votes cast in a primary or caucus. That standard is referred to as the 15 percent threshold.

We talk about candidate X "winning" a state primary, but if the top vote getters are clustered close together percentage-wise, then getting the highest vote total by a few percent isn't all that meaningful in terms of getting enough delegates to earn the nomination after all the primaries are done. Of course, there's the magic of having an impression of "winning" that seems to have some mass psychological impact, so there's that.

The article linked to above also has says, "Roughly two-thirds of the delegates will have been allocated by the end of March 2020." That's only two and a half months from now. Whoosh!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 14, 2020 07:49PM
The trick is to play a game on your iPad or solitaire on your desktop while listening. It is too much to expect me to sit and stare at the debate since nobody gets to finish a thought anyhow.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 14, 2020 10:03PM
The women are doing well tonight! I could go with either of them. The Dems are hitting Trump hard - I hope they get their message out to all the Jane and John Does out there.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 10:09PM by Ammo.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 14, 2020 11:52PM
Sheesh, I just heard that Bernie's insulting comment to Warren was 18 months old. I wonder how long she was stewing on this and hoping it would cause a stir far enough down the road that Bernie could barely even remember making the comment. I almost think he made the comment looking back at the 2016 election, knowing he would have won instead of Clinton.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 15, 2020 12:10AM
Klobuchar just sounds frantic whenever she's talking … probably is given the shrinking field in front of her. It's serious now.
Date: January 15, 2020 12:23AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Sheesh, I just heard that Bernie's insulting comment to Warren was 18 months old. I wonder how long she was stewing on this and hoping it would cause a stir far enough down the road that Bernie could barely even remember making the comment. I almost think he made the comment looking back at the 2016 election, knowing he would have won instead of Clinton.

He couldn't beat Clinton. Got his ass kicked. He's full of @#$%&.
Date: January 15, 2020 12:30AM
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

You don't like an uneven field for your Dodgers (what with the cheating and all) but seem to think the uneven field Sanders had to run through last time around (what with the cheating and all) was just peachy, step back and look at just how you evaluate stuff.

The consequences of cheating in sports is insignificant compared with the consequences of cheating that goes on in elections and in government.

Pick a lane and stay in it!
Date: January 15, 2020 12:46AM
RgrF
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

You don't like an uneven field for your Dodgers (what with the cheating and all) but seem to think the uneven field Sanders had to run through last time around (what with the cheating and all) was just peachy, step back and look at just how you evaluate stuff.

The consequences of cheating in sports is insignificant compared with the consequences of cheating that goes on in elections and in government.

Pick a lane and stay in it!

Literally nothing unfair happened to Sanders. Literally only in the imaginations of him and his followers. Everybody running right now knows and understands the rules. When they lose (except one), they just lost. I don't have to like anybody I don't like. The difference between me (and people like me), is we'll still vote the right way in the end, whether we like it or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 12:47AM by vision63.
Date: January 15, 2020 12:52AM
And if he's such a certainty to defeat Trump, why doesn't he run as an Independent? He got this. He can't lose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 12:53AM by vision63.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 15, 2020 12:53AM
Steyer knows to look into the camera when it is his turn…

=wr=
Date: January 15, 2020 01:06AM
Nothing unfair in your eyes maybe. As a Democratic Party operative you see things a bit different than those outside your party structure. For what it's worth there was little to choose between the corruption of the party Dems and the party Repubs until Trump took over.

Now regular Dem apparatchiks seem like reforming angels compared GOP apparatchiks and that is less to their credit than to the circumstances in which they find themselves.

It's understandable you feel threatened, the Berndanists wants to dismantle and reconstruct your political machine from the inside out and that's a threat to your way of thinking and maybe even your livelihood.
Date: January 15, 2020 01:20AM
RgrF
Nothing unfair in your eyes maybe. As a Democratic Party operative you see things a bit different than those outside your party structure. For what it's worth there was little to choose between the corruption of the party Dems and the party Repubs until Trump took over.

Now regular Dem apparatchiks seem like reforming angels compared GOP apparatchiks and that is less to their credit than to the circumstances in which they find themselves.

It's understandable you feel threatened, the Berndanists wants to dismantle and reconstruct your political machine from the inside out and that's a threat to your way of thinking and maybe even your livelihood.

If I thought something was unfair, I could easily articulate what specifically was unfair. Not just "say" it was unfair. I believe Bernie is primarily responsible for us losing. That's my only reason for disliking him. Just the fact that you can say the process was "uneven" without mentioning what made it uneven tells me all I need to know. It would be like me saying the forum mods have been unfair to me and just ending the thought right there. I can't understand why someone as smart as you (Filliam too) can like him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 01:23AM by vision63.
Date: January 15, 2020 11:09AM
Bernie has a lot of balls to be an Independent who comes sniffing around every four years longing for the use of the Democratic Party’s organization and money, then claiming it needs to be revamped because he didn’t get what he wanted. The rules were made after McGovern lost with 3 total electoral votes, they didn’t write the rules to “get” Bernie or “help” Hillary and Bernie knows that. He was letting the noise machine from Russia fill his followers with ideas and did nothing to correct them because he wants to have his Bernie Bro proxies attack the party even as he tries to suckle at its @#$%&.

That said, the recent news about Sanders is plainly an effort by outside agitators to divide and weaken the Democratic party. He’s obviously being attacked because he’s a current front runner. For god’s sake, people, stop treating leaks about candidates as if they were revelations and treat them for what they are: manipulation by dirty tricksters. Did we learn nothing from 2016?

Date: January 15, 2020 11:17AM
As for the debate, I love how Bernie announced that his administration would support all the insurance company workers for up to five years while they look for new jobs. He has no idea how to finance his campaign promises and now he’s throwing more hypothetical money around to fix the mess he would make with his M4A. No wonder his wife bankrupted a college, nobody in that family knows how to create and maintain a budget.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 15, 2020 11:57AM
$tevie
Did we learn nothing from 2016?

QFE - Many of the really vocal Bernie Bros were (and are) paid agitators. Bernie needs to have better policies for elbowing-aside/freezing-out trolls that pretend to be supporting his campaign.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 15, 2020 02:42PM
Warren blew a chance to make headlines about her student loan debt forgiveness plan. Came out with details online instead of pushing it at the debate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020